C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Key won't turn after the battery died C230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S500 4-Matic 2000 C230 Kompressor 1995 S500
Key won't turn after the battery died C230

It's a 2000 C230. I purchased the car with the key not turning. Owner claims the battery died and after charging it the key would not work. I first purchased a coil checker which is only available online from china. It really does work as I tried it out on my 2004 S500. I also bought another used EIS with a key. Which I thought would help determine whether the EIS was in fact bad. Given the fact that the used unit is not programmed for the car I understand that the key will not turn however i would assume that the car would still power it so the coils should be getting electricity. I tested the original unit. Checker did not light up. I removed the original EIS and installed the used unit. Same result.

So I have checked voltage, fuses, etc. Nothing. Everything appears to be ok. I checked the wiring harness for the EIS to make sure it was getting power and it is. The battery is a genuine MB battery which the previous owner purchased recently. I checked it and it's at 12v. Again it appears ok but that doesn't mean it is. What I have come to find out is that more then the ignition switch is not working. The keys do not lock/unlock the car nor does the central locking bottom on the dash. The radio will not turn on, the rear dome light stays on, side mirrors and garage opener stop working. I am leaning towards replacing the K40 relay even though I checked all of the fuses and relays. Any help would be greatly appreciated.