C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Electrical / Alarm Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 c280
Electrical / Alarm Problems

Hello All,

My 1999 C280 is having all kinds of electrical and alarm problems.

The fob is not responding (changed the batteries just to make sure). With the fob not responding, I cannot get into the trunk and disconnect the battery in an effort to reset the system. When I take the mechanical key out of the fob and try and open the trunk it will just lock and unlock the doors. The push button release on the trunk does nothing, and the button inside the car to open the trunk does nothing as well.

I can get into the car using the mechanical key, but as soon as I do the alarm starts. The alarm goes on for roughly 30 seconds then goes away for a few minutes. I can drive the car, but the alarm and headlight/taillight flashing comes on every five minutes or so for about 30 seconds.

Last night I charged the battery with a float charger via the charging terminals under the hood near the fusebox just to make sure my battery was at 100%, but that didn't help.

Any advice would be much much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:52 PM

1999 C280
I once had a problem similar to this... for a few weeks my alarm would go off randomly, sometimes it seemed to be caused by the sunroof folding into the car, I'm not even sure how it did this or how it didn't break the sunroof permanently.

The alarm went off one time after I parked the car at a gas pump... before I could even get out of the car. I couldn't refill my gas tank and it was almost empty. I spent about 20 minutes waiting for it to go off with every other customer at the gas station staring at me haha

I never found the cause of the problem, however I'm almost sure it had to do with a fuse issue. I replaced a two or three fuses (this was two years ago so I honestly can't remember exactly which fuses) and this hasn't happened since.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-23-2014, 12:41 PM

1999 c280
Thanks for the reply... I ended up fixing the problem.

What I did was run the battery down as far as possible in an effort to bring down the computer/security systems. After doing that I was finally able to get into the trunk with the mechanical key. I replaced my battery since it was about time, and now everything is working great!