C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Service Information for W202

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C230 Kompressor
Service Information for W202

Hi
After 1.5 years of owning a W124, I had accident with the car, and no longer have it. Presently looking for a replacement 124, but I feel I should also consider a W202.

On the 124, there is basically all info available, especially the Startek manuals for free (non-pirate). Plus I have the EPC and WIS (which of course also covers the W202)

Please help me answer the following questions regarding W202:
1). Is Startek info freely available for this chassis? (even if I had the money to pay for it on MB site, Africa is not supported, so MB is not an option. My conscience won't bother me if someone would pm or email me somewhat risqué W202 information .. MB will get all their money as I won't be stealing the parts FWIW, some late 124 information seems to apply to the W202)
2). Do we have complete wiring diagrams for this chassis, like the 124 ETM which covered basically everything? What are good sources for wiring diagrams for these?
3). Which manual is best between the Haynes and the Bentley one? The Bentley costs 5x as much as the Haynes on our local car manual shop, although a quick check of reviews seems to be rather negative on it
4). Please share any other information that can be useful to a DIYer like me (of course I have searched and will continue to search the site for specific issues in future)

Here in South Africa there are still 124s with low mileage and good condition, and the parts are really cheap at the dealership (as long as they are not electronic/electrical parts, haha). However, I wouldn't mind having a C280 if I find one in good condition, and if it is still a DIY-friendly car.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W202 - C220
For #3 from what I've read the Bentley one is much more detailed, while the Haynes is more picture filled. Personally I've worked on enough cars in enough detail to know how to do most things, so I just need to know where in general and what is the best approach. So I got the Haynes.

If you can, search eBay and get on from there. Cheapest option IMHO.

Also Bentley's manual will have #2 covered very well. Haynes won't, so if you need the diagrams factor that in as well.

#4 - A repair manual (Haynes or Bentley) + decent set of tools + internet and you are all set.

For the W202 (depending on the engine) there is quite a lot of room to work on things in the engine bay. Especially if you get a 4-cyl one. Keep in mind, they shoed in a V8 in there at one point in time. =)
The following users liked this post:
sicelo (03-23-2016)