C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Oil smells of gas.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 c280
Oil smells of gas.

Hey all, been a while since I've needed to be on here. Car has been running great, was driving nearly 120 miles round trip a day, getting around 27 mpg on average. Was very happy. Went to change the oil today and noticed it smells of gas pretty badly. We just replaced the head gasket, plugs, wires, 2 coils, MAF, fuel filter, some fuel lines, and obviously just did the oil. I did go a little long on the oil change, but I'm running mobil 1 ow-40 and it was nearly all highway miles with no stopping. I've been searching the forums/google and most people say to check fuel pressure and the FPR. I've never really messed with fuel systems. What do I need to do to change over the regulator?
Old 12-13-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ml350
It sounds like you have one or more leaking fuel injectors.

The FPR can cause this if it is maintaining too high a pressure and overcomes the ability of the fuel injector to shut off when the engine is off and then the injector relieves the pressure by leaking into a cylinder.

It can also occur when a fuel injector becomes worn and doesn't seal properly...

So, first check fuel rail pressure and if it is reasonable, then it is not a regulator problem. If the pressure is high, then replace the regulator.

If it is not a regulator; then check individual cylinders for a "wet" spark plug and change out or rebuild that injector. If the vehicle has high mileage, just replace all the fuel injectors or you'll be chasing this problem as each one fails.