C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Troubleshoot heated wiper system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 05:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sedan (W202)
Troubleshoot heated wiper system

Greetings from a relatively new subscriber...

I purchased a very low-mileage (26K) 2000 C230 Kompressor Sedan and am driving it for the first time in winter (I live in CT). Our winter has been relatively mild (above freezing) until this past week when temps here have dropped below the 20 degree mark (F). Now with the much colder weather I noticed that my windshield washer system is no longer working. Specifically, I can hear the washer motor when I press the multi-function switch inward (towards the steering column) to activate the washer, but when I do so nothing comes out of the nozzles.

Additionally, my washer reservoir is 3/4 full with premium quality washer fluid from my local auto parts store (not the cheaper, more common blue stuff). I took the lid off the reservoir and can see some small thin pieces of ice floating on the top - but the rest of the liquid is quite fluid.

Page 90 of my U.S. owner's manual states that the washer reservoir, hoses and nozzles are all heated. I checked the appropriate fuse (#42 7.5 amps) in the engine compartment and it is not blown.

Am I correct in concluding that the system must be frozen since I can hear the washer motor activating but nothing is coming out of the nozzles? I'm sure the answer to my question will be self evident by next weekend when temps are supposed to climb back up into the balmy 30's. But, till then, I would presume that the heated washer system should have prevented the system from freezing completely - assuming it's working at all. And that leads me to my final question... How can I troubleshoot this system to see if, in fact, it is working (or not)?

Any guidance, advice or troubleshooting tips would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Mark