C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

c230 K tick-click-clack etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43, c230
c230 K tick-click-clack etc

Hello all, new to the forum but not to the w202 life. Diehard fan since my first 280 sport years ago. Anyhow! I've researched the past two days and have been able to find nothing that suits my exact needs. I recently picked up a c230 kompressor that caught my eye at a local auction for a decent price. In a rare color that ive always admired. Anyhow, upon driving and inspecting, the car at operating temp has a rhythmic tick almost in sequence at the timing chain area. It does not do it while it's cold, and isn't noticeable while driving, but only at idle. I've pulled the valve cover and the chain seems to be in decent shape. Not much slack. The upper guide looks like it's intact. Is this something the chain tensioner could be doing? Please and thank you in advance. This has been driving me nuts and I get nervous to drive the car but my truck is in the shop for a new coat of paint so it leaves me no choice. And again it seems as if while the oil is rather thick on a colder startup it's quiet as can be. However as it starts warming is when the sound becomes presentable.