C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

w202 200 cdi 1999 Temp Gauge not working. Radiator fan on maks all the time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w202 200 cdi
w202 200 cdi 1999 Temp Gauge not working. Radiator fan on maks all the time

Hello.

I have an annoying problem with my w202 cdi. Her is how it all started:
Driving on the highway. After a while, I noticed the temp gauge were bouncing, then all dead, working, bouncing, working, all dead and so on for a few hours before it finally died completely.

As the temp gauge dies the warning light in the dash comes on and the radiator fan engage superspeed (sounds like a turbine)

The next day I found out I had forgotten to put the filler cap back on after filling her up with wiper fluid and it had splashed all over when I drove.

I have now driven a while with this as is, and am now about to fix it. The radiator fluids are not leaking so that is not why the light is on.

I started by simply putting on a new temp gauge sensor (costed only 10 usd so well worth a try), but that was not it.

I have read a bit about this issue online now. Mostly the solution seem to be the controller unit for the fan. The one on left side under plastic cover. But in my case, I am fairly sure it now has to be a wire?

The car is now more expensive to drive. Probably because the engine cpu reads cold all the time. I am fairly sure that if I get my temp gauge working again, the fan will work also.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.