C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

After market 1 DIN radio with DVD player defeating the Emergency brake lock out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C230
After market 1 DIN radio with DVD player defeating the Emergency brake lock out

Just finished doing this, and for those who have not defeated the DVD lock out, or considering buying an after market radio with DVD, here is what you do.
Pop up the black bezel ring around the shifter. Your fingers are normally good enough. Lift up on the Burled panel that has the power window buttons etc. Lift from the back just in front of the cup holder, and it will pop off.
Turn the panel over, and there are 2 wire clips. 1 is black and 1 is white. Disconnect them. Remove the rectangular black change cup under the ash tray. Just pull up and it will pop out
Open the center arm rest, and at the back (the big compartment) there are 2 Phillips screws. Remove them.
At the front of the Burled panel when removed, there are 2 screws under the ash tray, right and left side. Remove them, and the center console will lift out.
Remove the Cassette tray which has 2 screws at the top, and pull it out.
Now, with the after market radio, if you have one already installed, pull it out. Don't remove the tin sleeve that the radio slides into, as it is open at the back. If your removing a factory radio, you need 2 special keys you can get from Ebay for about $4.00 dollars, shipping included.
On the after market radios with DVD, there is normally a pink wire tagged for "Brake"
To defeat the system, all you need is a ground to the pink wire. I ran the wires underneath the center console for neatness, and brought them into the big compartment I mentioned. There is an access point at the rear of the compartment to feed the wires through.
Now, you need a 2 prong rocker switch that you can find at an auto parts store, or electronics outlet. Approx. cost is $2.50 to $4.00.
You will need 2 wires, 1 to the pink wire, and 1 to ground.
When I removed the Burled power window panel, it exposes the base of the shifter, and there are 4 Allen head screws (Chrome looking) Remove 1 and that is where you will hook up the ground wire. Best to use an electrical connector with a closed round eye. Be sure that the screw you removed will slide through the connector eye, The wire from the pink "Brake" connector is easily fed from the back and under the console to the compartment. Attach 2 female spade connectors to the 2 wires, and connect to the rocker switch.
Now, you nave completed a ground circuit. Connect power to the radio (be sure all the speaker wires are connect, and ready to go as if it was already in the dash). Get a DVD, and start the radio. Insert the DVD, and it may say it wont play unless the parking brake is on. If it does. simply press the rocker switch to the other position, and then it should allow the DVD to function. Total time is about 1.5 hours.
For liability purposes, DO NOT DRIVE AND WATCH THE DVD, AS YOU WILL PROBABLY HAVE A SERIOUS ACCIDENT. I INSTALLED IT FOR PASSENGER CONVENIENCE ONLY. Any questions, just send me a note.
Have fun.....