C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Bizarre Electrical No Start Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 CLS 550
Bizarre Electrical No Start Issue

The car: 1998 C230
Today, I went to the auto parts store to get a new bulb to replace a burnt out drivers side low beam. When I came out, my car wouldn't start.

On the first few tries, it would beep once or twice, and the gauge cluster would dim when I turned the key into the start position. The car did not crank.

After about six tries, I checked the battery terminal connections (battery is brand new,) and tried again. This time, the car fired up immediately, but then stalled right away. This happened three or four times. After a brief rest period, the car fired up normally, and drove me to work just fine. However, the clock displayed 0:05, and the radio was not working at all.

Obviously there is some kind of electrical issue, but I don't know where to start looking for the problem. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C230
Check your ground connection.
The clock will go to a new start, so just use the dash buttons to reset to proper time. Radio same thing, but you need the radio code to reactivate it.
Check your owners manual as to the procedure.
Hopefully, you have the code number somewhere (inside owner manual etc.)
If not, you need to go to a dealer with the car, and they can get you the code. MB won't give it to you over the phone for owner security reasons.