C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

New 2000 C230 owner with a couple of issues...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 C230 Kompressor
New 2000 C230 owner with a couple of issues...

Hi all, I just bought a 2000 C230 Kompressor last week. My first german car, been driving a honda all my life...so this is definitely a change for me.

A couple issues I would like to have your input for:

1. When I turn the steering I can hear a hint of squealing noise, what does that mean? Is power steering failing? Is it a common problem? I don't think it's coming from the tires.

2. Hard shift from 2nd to 1st. Read about this on another thread, how difficult/expensive is it to fix this issue? It's not too bad currently, but would like to take care of it if it's easy and cheap.

3. Stereo volume not working properly. Sometimes, i need to turn a lot just to get a little more volume...and other times it actually decreases the volume. Never happen on a honda...

4. How difficult it is to take the driver side door interior panel off? There is a bad rattle and I'd like to fix it.

5. Dome lights come on intermittently. Maybe it's a setting that I am not aware of or the electric just went crazy. But did any of you have this issue before?

6. General maintenance question. Coming from a Honda history, how much should I expect to spend on maintenance and repair? I am sort of a DIY guy but I think this car will be harder to work with than my 1998 Honda Accord V6. I don't see much spacing in the engine bay...I may need to go to a shop to get most things done.

Thank you.

Last edited by ihaveaquestion; 05-05-2015 at 04:17 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
Start by buying the Mercedes 74.5mm Oil Filter Cap Wrench if you want to complete your own oil changes.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C230
1. When I turn the steering I can hear a hint of squealing noise, what does that mean? Is power steering failing? Is it a common problem? I don't think it's coming from the tires.

Check the PS belt first to see if it is loose, or in need of replacement.
Does it happen when you turn hard left and right, or anytime you turn the wheel?

2. Hard shift from 2nd to 1st. Read about this on another thread, how difficult/expensive is it to fix this issue? It's not too bad currently, but would like to take care of it if it's easy and cheap.

Is it all the time, or only when your slowing down to about 5 or 10 MPH?

3. Stereo volume not working properly. Sometimes, i need to turn a lot just to get a little more volume...and other times it actually decreases the volume. Never happen on a honda...

Have you checked your speakers? Balance them to the front only and listen, and then the back only. What happens then? It is a good idea to buy an aftermarket radio with some upgrades (Bluetooth etc)

4. How difficult it is to take the driver side door interior panel off? There is a bad rattle and I'd like to fix it.

Very easy..There is a plastic molding at the door latch. ! screw I believe. There is a SRS plastic cover on the door panel, Pry that gently and it will open. There is a screw behind it. Remove the screw. The door pull handle, the big vertical one pulls off, but be gentle doing it. I believe there are 2 screws behind (top and bottom) remove the screws, The front door open pull (chrome) has a screw behind the handle, remove it.
Start by rolling the window down all the way, then use something flat and thin, and start by inserting it at one of the bottom corners of the door panel, ans work across the bottom to to the other side. Then gently work up the sides until all the door panel clips are loose. Be sure to remove the door lock pin :-) Lift up the panel and wiggle it a bit as you lift, and it should come right off. Behind the panel are electrical connectors. Remove them. Now the panel is off. Be gentle as I said so you don't break anything.

5. Dome lights come on intermittently. Maybe it's a setting that I am not aware of or the electric just went crazy. But did any of you have this issue before?

Do you have an owners manual? Sometimes if you open the sun roof, one of the interior light switches gets touched, and that my be the problem.

6. General maintenance question. Coming from a Honda history, how much should I expect to spend on maintenance and repair? I am sort of a DIY guy but I think this car will be harder to work with than my 1998 Honda Accord V6. I don't see much spacing in the engine bay...I may need to go to a shop to get most things done.

Very easy to maintain. Generally, if you have a check engine light, you can take it to a shop that has a Mercedes Star analyzer to get a read out as to the problem.

Thank you.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 C230 Kompressor
In regard to the stereo unit, I acutally want to put a carplay/android auto compatible aftermarke unit in it. But I notice that the car only has single din while all carplay/android auto compatible units are double-din. Any way to make it work? Any recommendation in terms of specific unit? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c230k
Owning a c230k makes me wish they had cheaper parts like a Honda. Honda has a abundance of upgrades and our c230s only have a handful of things to buy/upgrade or if you want to really want to modify something don't break it cos you won't wana buy it, as for the radio I believe you can put the double head units in the single unit stock one. You just won't have a cubby hole