C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

New owner with 1998 C230 - lots of questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 03:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2018 Audi Q7, 2005 Porsche Boxster S, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 744HP 1965 Shelby Cobra
New owner with 1998 C230 - lots of questions

First post here!

Just picked up my first MB, it's a 1998 C230. It was neglected, but I figured it was worth a chance since I paid almost nothing for it. I enjoy taking cars from the brink and making them good looking, usable cars once again. I have done this many times in the past, but this is my first time trying it with a MB. Here are some of the larger problems I am facing. If anyone has any input on some or all of these problems, how to repair them if they are common problems, etc, I'd certainly appreciate it. I've spent time on the search function, but honestly the volume of information there can be overwhelming.

1) Little air comes out of the outboard dash vents, and absolutely none comes out of the center. The blower motor is running and sounds normal.

2) The windshield wiper doesn't work. When you turn the wiper control to on, there is a groaning sound from the wiper area, but no movement.

3) Check engine light on with a P0400 code. Search tells me that this is a EGR issue. Also, perhaps connected, the engine idles very roughly, but runs well once under acceleration and cruise

4) The dome light doesn't go out on it's own. It must be manually turned off on the overhead control each time it comes on.

5) Is there a reasonably priced source of either good used or new after market parts for this car? For example, Corvettes and BMW's, which I have some experience with, have places like Ecklers and Bavarian Motorsports, respectively. I'll be needing pieces like various interior pieces (steering wheel and shifter knob are a mess, one rear door handle broken), body parts (broken driver side mirror, missing wheel center emblems, bent aluminum wheel), etc. Can someone direct me to some of the better parts sources?

6) I only have one key for the car. What's the best place to get another reasonably?

Many more minor issues, but these will keep me busy for a while.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C230
Originally Posted by Doug427
First post here!

Just picked up my first MB, it's a 1998 C230. It was neglected, but I figured it was worth a chance since I paid almost nothing for it. I enjoy taking cars from the brink and making them good looking, usable cars once again. I have done this many times in the past, but this is my first time trying it with a MB. Here are some of the larger problems I am facing. If anyone has any input on some or all of these problems, how to repair them if they are common problems, etc, I'd certainly appreciate it. I've spent time on the search function, but honestly the volume of information there can be overwhelming.

1) Little air comes out of the outboard dash vents, and absolutely none comes out of the center. The blower motor is running and sounds normal.

2) The windshield wiper doesn't work. When you turn the wiper control to on, there is a groaning sound from the wiper area, but no movement.

3) Check engine light on with a P0400 code. Search tells me that this is a EGR issue. Also, perhaps connected, the engine idles very roughly, but runs well once under acceleration and cruise

4) The dome light doesn't go out on it's own. It must be manually turned off on the overhead control each time it comes on.

5) Is there a reasonably priced source of either good used or new after market parts for this car? For example, Corvettes and BMW's, which I have some experience with, have places like Ecklers and Bavarian Motorsports, respectively. I'll be needing pieces like various interior pieces (steering wheel and shifter knob are a mess, one rear door handle broken), body parts (broken driver side mirror, missing wheel center emblems, bent aluminum wheel), etc. Can someone direct me to some of the better parts sources?

6) I only have one key for the car. What's the best place to get another reasonably?

Many more minor issues, but these will keep me busy for a while.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
1) Sounds like a vacuum leak from everything I've read. Fortunately for me, I've only stumbled onto this conclusion while searching for a different issue (duovalve, as the name suggests, a valve that controls the flow of heat/ac into the cabin. Over time, the valves will stick causing hot air to come in even when the A/C is running).

2) New motor? The gears on these things tend to be made from plastic, and if something was obstructing its movement the plastic teeth could have broken off hence why it doesn't move. Or the motor could just be shot, either way >>>new motor...

5) Your best friend here will be the dealer (who can still source interior trim pieces from Germany), a junkyard if your so lucky to find one with a w202, or eBay (my goto, then dealer).

6) Because of the intricacies of the smart key fobs, you simply cannot go anywhere else but the dealer. You're looking at $450 easy. Not to say you're local dealership might not sell them cheaper, but thats what I just had to pluck down (I live in Florida).