C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Question on Windshield Wiper Transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'01 E55 AMG
Question on Windshield Wiper Transmission

I removed the whole windshield wiper assembly from my C230 and found out that the motor is bad, I think the gear broke. When I was checking the transmission part of the assembly, I removed it completely from the main mounting bracket so I could check the gear on the back side of the plate - all looks good. However, when turning that gear by hand, I noticed that in certain areas of the rotation it was harder to turn than others. I greased it up really well and while it's easier to turn in all aspects, there are still a couple places that take more torque.

For example, when the rod that holds the wiper arm is at its fullest point of extension, the gear is tougher to turn then when it's at its lowest position. I also noticed that one of the arms (not the sliders) has a very tiny wobble to it. It almost seems as if that wobble is part of the design, but I can't be sure..

My question is, should the transmission have flawless & smooth 360 degree movement when I turn the gear on the backside, or is the tension in certain parts of the rotation simply part of the design????

The pivoting arm that slides the rod up and down seems to be pressed and there's no way to tighten or loosen it, and I dont really see how it could simply go bad. Nothing is actually binding, but like I said, there is more resistance near the full extension..

Any help is greatly appreciated. The only info I've ever seen is in regards to lubing the transmission and a worn gear on the transmission, which required a new wiper transmission ($150 used, $380+ new). I've never seen anyone discuss the movement of the pivoting arm within the transmission so I'm hoping that someone has enough experience to tell me whether what I'm seeing is normal or not.

*Just for clarity, I'd like to emphasize that the pivoting arm I'm talking about is not the linkage conneting the transmission to the motor. I am speaking about the linkage on the inside of the transmission - it moves behind the two sliders in a fashion that pulls the wiper blade up and down.

Last edited by SlickVick; 08-11-2015 at 11:38 PM.