C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Cluster repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c 280
Cluster repair

I have a pixel problem with my 1999 C280 and asked around to get it fixed.
I have seen a few online but requires to pull out the cluster myself and send it to them for under $200. Sounds reasonable but I am not mechanically/technically inclined. I'd rather take my car in for repair. I inquired a couple of times from Mercedes dealerships which apparently don't want to repair but will replace the cluster for the price tag of around $1,300. WHY DON'T THEY DO REPAIR FOR THIS? This is very repairable from what I have seen in videos. There's a huge difference between $200 and $1300.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1998 C280
The dealer doesn't want to fix it because at the prices you state, there's no (or very little) profit in the work. Also, it the cluster has one problem, it will likely soon have another, and soon the customer (you) will come back whining about what you paid and that "it's all for nothing". This creates ill feeling between the dealer (who presumably would have done the fix correctly) and the customer (who feels ripped even though the original fix was sufficient).

Commercial service operations have to choose their customers, because some of said customers can be a real BEEEEAAAAATTTTCH to work with.

And that's the short version.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:48 AM

c 280
Cluster repair

I feel it is a disservice by Mercedes not to offer this to their customers. If they want to maintain a relationship they should provide this service even
if the profit is minimal. The business relationship is far more important than missing out on a big profit margin. I don't agree also with your conclusion that a customer will soon come back whining because something has gone bad again. I would say that when the cluster is serviced all three ribbons
(W202) should be replaced including the bulbs even if not all are broken.
This way the cluster is good as new. Materials will probably cost around $30 - $35. There is no reason for the customer to be back much sooner and whine about the project because the cluster components are new.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C230
As a comment....Mercedes is not in the fix it business, when they are in the replacement business. Example is the air pump which engages at start up for a few seconds. Mercedes wants around $700.00. It's an easy fix for about $15.00. The feeling is that if you can afford a Mercedes, you can afford to fix it at a dealer. I use a shop with Mercedes trained mechanics when needed, and save 60% to 70%. How do you think those fancy showrooms and white smocks get paid for? They are also kind of "Snooty" if your not driving the newest and best. That's the way it is.....
Old 10-30-2015, 03:32 PM

c 280
cluster repair

I truly understand that Mercedes is not in the fix business but selling cars.
But don't you think you should service what you sell? Not "replace" unnecessarily. If your shoelace breaks, do you buy a new pair of shoes?
That's a very simple analogy. Quite frankly I am really pissed with this kind of policy. And it's a rotten assumption that if you can afford to buy a Mercedes, you can pretty much afford to burn money with unnecessary
cash outlay. If that's the way it is, this is my last Mercedes car. And how is that for customer relationship?
Old 10-30-2015, 04:23 PM

C230
That is obviously up to you! You have found alternatives less expensive to solve your problem, so there is an out. If you look at how many Mercedes are sold annually, you can imagine how how concerned they would be if you didn't buy again. The answer is zero. More so, if your buying used.
Most people on the W202 site are DIY types. Not all, but most. Go with the flow, and take the alternative. Once it's fixed, you can send Mercedes a photo of your finger. Don't make it your personal vendetta, as you will be pissing in the wind.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1998 C280
Okay, you are resistant to reasonable explanations, that's your perogative.

Look at it another way: Why should your local MB dealer employ more technicians to work for low-margin repairs such as this, when they can do high-return work on newer customer cars?

Look at it another way: the federal government has a say in this, requiring through the Magnusson-Moss Act (IIRC) that manufacturers keep parts in stock for a certain number of years. The Act does not require dealers (who may/not be independent of the manufacturer) to repair such cars or parts.

It ain't gonna happen. You want to **** into the wind, feel free to do so, but consider heeding the warning of others, that you **** downwind instead, to avoid the obvious consequences of insisting on doing it your way.

Capiche?
Old 10-30-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
W202 w/ a 5.4L V8
Great feedback and explanations by all involved. I just had this same discussion over lunch when it came to servicing my 202. I have no problems paying for quality service as I choose not to work on this car myself. However, I also recognize that this platform is over 20yrs old and should be left to indies if you want good service. Most dealer techs don't even know how to diagnose vehicles this age (obviously a gross generalization). Anyone who serviced this vehicle new is probably no longer wrenching and MB doesm't train new techs to diagnose and service w202s.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:23 PM

C230
Check this out. A $40.00 fix