C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

New to Mercedes, have a few questions/issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230K
New to Mercedes, have a few questions/issues

Hi, I just bought a 2000 C230 K (157000 mi) today, drove it around for a while and I love it! But it seems to have some issues. There is a lot of vibration in drive and reverse, is that normal? (Feels like it shouldn't be) Also when the engine is below 1500 rpm or so it sounds terrible, like there's a knocking or rattling in the engine bay. Any thoughts on what that might be or how to fix it?

Has anyone had success dying seats? Mine are black with gray leather down the middle and I think it looks odd and I'd rather have an all black interior, same with the steering wheel, currently its terribly wrapped and awful... Any limited slip diffs too? Lowering Springs? Just looking for ideas of simple less expensive modifications to make the car look a little less grandma-like (Don't get it twisted this definitely is not a granny car. It just looks that way). And any simple engine modifications to squeeze some more jam out too?

Thanks so much, I'm very excited to own this car!
Old 12-19-2015, 05:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Epiphany 1---the vibration is not normal, put the car on a lift and inspect the front\rear flex disc's and center bearing.

Epiphany 2--first check the motor mounts, however if the sound is metallic in nature that could be serious and I would not invest in the car until you know for sure it is not serious motor problems!!
Old 12-19-2015, 08:24 PM

2000 C230K
Put it on a lift an hour after I bought it. Got it from a mechanic who did motor mounts, haven't personally inspected them though, brand new hardware on drive shaft flanges. Going to do plugs at the least to see if that's the idle issue.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ml350
1st for the seats... If the seats are black with a light grey center this a the Silver Sport edition of the 2000 C230. That means it should also have the exclusive white face VDO gauges and is one of the last 2000 C230's imported into the USA. (i.e. don't touch the seats - the car is more valuable as a special edition than if you change the interior)

2nd - vibration for these vehicles is not normal. The torque value for the motor mounts is crucial - if the mechanic who installed the mounts just tightened them by feel they are most likely too loose or too tight and will transmit a vibration.

3rd - is there a Check Engine Light (CEL). If yes, then get the code(s) and follow the information to repair.

Lastly - A metallic noise from the front of the engine could easily be a worn or loose timing Chain tensioner... they sound horrible but cause very little damage when caught early. The other common low speed (RPM) noise is the supercharger coupler that connects the clutch to the rotor gears, but this noise tend to be loudest at or near idle with the supercharger engaged and somewhat diminishes under load when the supercharger is working and the coupler does not "rattle". If the noise is only present with the supercharger engaged, I would strongly suspect the coupling.

Hope this helps...
Old 01-05-2016, 05:07 PM

2000 C230K
I will check with the guy I bought it from about torquing the motor mounts, do you know the torque spec off hand?

Also, I think the rough idle sound was due to bad coils and wires, had them replaced and it's much better.

I figured something was special about the seats. didn't know about the gauges though. Not planning on changing them anymore.

Thanks so much.