C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Hood latch won't close or lock .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes-Benzc230 Kompressor
Hood latch won't close or lock .

Recently bough this car as a project, well 1st task was to replace the hood release , the red plastic was broken son got a good used one, while installing I pull the cable too hard and fell a snap follow by the alarm sound, I knew that was trouble immediately and shut the alarm with the fob . I ask my son to look for movement in the latch as I pull the hood release and he confirmed it was moving but when I close the hood is not locking and when I press the locking system it just spring back. I see two screws holding the system but I was not brave enough to mess with that before get some advise and that is why I am here,... by the way I also try to slammed the hood but of course it do not lock in place.

Any advised will be appreciated , Thanks in advanced

Sorry to start with my left foot but, HI TO YA ALL!

Trust me there is more to come, this car is all there but need some work....
Old 01-24-2016, 10:22 PM

Starting to look for hood pins
Old 01-26-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C230
When you open the hood, there is a small slide mechanism that pops out of the grill (upper left side top). Be sure it is not extended when closing the hood. If it is, that may be the problem
Old 01-27-2016, 06:48 AM

That is the problem

Originally Posted by ptcruiser
When you open the hood, there is a small slide mechanism that pops out of the grill (upper left side top). Be sure it is not extended when closing the hood. If it is, that may be the problem
If I push in with my finger it so won't lock in. It just spring back.I suspect that the cable extend or something g is off in the system. It definitely electr onic because the alarm system got activated...
I will be disassembled the part asap. Just wonder if anybody has tackle this particular part before.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'98 E430
I just replaced mine. It was bent and all screwed up. I replaced the red handle too, since it was broken. Sounds like we have the same car!

Replacing wasn't hard. Bought a new latch, a new pull handle that sticks out of the grill. I had to move some weather stripping to get the new one in because it wasn't exactly like the old one, but once I did that it fit up quite nicely. Works great now.