C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Looking to purchase c280

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'78 320i
Looking to purchase c280

Found a 1997 c280 on CL for $2500.
115k miles, Black&Tan body and interior.

I thiiink I can talk it down some more, it has two issues. AC has a small leak and needs a belt; I dont think those issues are one in the same, despite PO saying so.

Also, apparently there is an issue with the fuel system. Probably one of the tanks. Previous mechanic replaced the fuel system to resolve the leak but didnt replace the tanks? I think either a hose is bad or I need to get a whole new set of tanks. Previous owner just puts in about 3-5 gallons a week, otherwise it starts to leak. How are these fuel tanks set up and where can I look in to replacements if need be? You'd think the hoses would be a first look so I dont know if its that.

Otherwise, the car is nice. Original owner was an older gentleman, his granddaughter inhereted the car and drove it a bit, current owner drove it just a bit more, keeping it lower miles.

Finally, this would be my first mercedes. Any other gremlins I should sniff out before buying?

PS, I tried to hit a search but I couldnt find results, so apologies if yall see this weekly.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'78 320i
Saw the car today, apparently the previous owner has done a lot to the fuel system, despite still having a leak. Fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, fuel level sensors, fuel and evap hoses (not sure if all replaced...)... yet it still has a leak. COuld it be the tank? It makes a constant buzzing sound so I feel like something ELSE is going on... my thought was the fuel pump but if that was replaced...

Interior wise, it was pretty good. Definitely some cracked plastic vents and stuff on the dash. Paint still looked good, but it had some dents. And it definitely needs AC work.

The engine, however, was still great. Smooth shifts, drove really well. Fun little car. These cars have awesome turning radius too.. pretty nice.