C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

W202 1999 C240 Sport/AMG limp mode HELP NEEDED PLS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C240 AMG Sport
W202 1999 C240 Sport/AMG limp mode HELP NEEDED PLS

Please help very desperate please see previous correspondence below and forward your suggestions,

Hi Tetra98, I have a c240 AMG Sport 1999 w202 with a 722.6 gearbox I have changed the shift selector plate in the gearbox and the pilot bushing, this seemed to fix the limp mode problem but it is back and stuck in hard limp mode. I have been told to replace the actual shifter and the TCU but this is incredibly expensive, do you have any suggestions??
---End Quote---
Hey Mark, does the car have any codes at all? Do you know of any liquid that could ever have been spilt on the Shifter Module? Does the shifter itself click loudly and does the car sometimes struggle to start?
---End Quote---
Hi Tetra I have done the diagnostic and managed to clear the codes regarding the shift selector and now the shifter position indicator on the instrument cluster came back on, but I have a current fault code P1876 (traction systems control module) and these other codes P0720; P1605; P0500-025; P0600

My question now is, can these codes force a hard limp mode? If yes how do i replace the Traction control module? Part number?

The mechanic tried to test the continuity on the rear left wheel sensor but he says that oil has wicked up the harness, I have already replaced the connector on the harness and the shift selector plate ;( , can i replace the wicked up harness? where can i get it? do you know the harness part number?
---End Quote---
Hey, looking at all the codes that you are receiving, I think this is an electrical problem throwing all of these different codes. The portion of the harness with transmission fluid wicked up will need to be replaced, I don't know the part number of it but this does happen when rubber seals harden and screw around with the wiring. Try and get on top of this one as I have heard of transmission fluid wicking up into the TCM and you don't want that hahah. These codes can cause limp mode as anything perceived by the TCM to be threatening to the transmission will result in it going into limp mode. Do you have a CEL? If you don't then I doubt that the traction control module is actually malfunctioning.
---End Quote---
Hi Tetra thanks for the answer what do you mean CEL?? What is this and what does it have to do with the traction control module? Does each wheel have these traction control modules? Will the part number be on the wicked portion of harness and where would I find this piece of harness?
---End Quote---
CEL meaning Check Engine Light, the traction control module is a unit under the hood on the bottom right corner of the engine bay. I am not sure where the part number for the harness would be, maybe go to a dealer and ask what it would be, they will know.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190e
try getting codes from an indi with a das system. (dealer scanner)
post them here, maybe i can help. It looks like your tcu might be dead. ( I stand corrected)
get the codes and post here