C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

C230k engine problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C230k
C230k engine problem

I dont know too much about cars and such.. and now i have this problem with my car that i have no clue on how to fix.

The engine wont rev as it should, it suffers from power loss. Idle is fine sometimes but every now and then its idle is very rough. Its like the engine dont get the fuel that it needs. If you give it full throttle, it dies. If i press the gaspedal gently i can manage to get the rev up but it still starts to cough.

The car is a 1997 MB C230 with a kompressor
Old 09-28-2016, 12:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Find a good mechanic, put your wife to work, give the mechanic a few bucks and enjoy the ride!!
Old 10-02-2016, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C230 1997 W202
It sounds like a fault which could have one or multiple causes unfortunately. How did the fault appear, gradually or all of a sudden?

Commonly you'd like to check for vacuum-leaks which can cause the fuel/air mixture to be off and cause raugh idle or the car to jidder on acceleration. If the air metering device, the MAF is bad, it can also cause the fuel mixture to be off. Now I'm new to Mercedes, but on BMW disconnecting the MAF and try if the throttle response improves is a way to test if it is bad. If that works on Merc could be worth a try. And it is free. The MAF is located on the intake plastic tube, an electronic device. Should be easy to get to and try disconnecting the electrical connector while the engine is off & ignition is off.

It could be a fuel delivering issue, which is a bit more work to find out, for example clogged fuel filter. Also good to check if the engine air filter is in OK shape. Although I'd think it would need to be very crammed up to cause a real issue other than general loss of performance.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C230k
Originally Posted by Shadedmoon
It sounds like a fault which could have one or multiple causes unfortunately. How did the fault appear, gradually or all of a sudden?

Commonly you'd like to check for vacuum-leaks which can cause the fuel/air mixture to be off and cause raugh idle or the car to jidder on acceleration. If the air metering device, the MAF is bad, it can also cause the fuel mixture to be off. Now I'm new to Mercedes, but on BMW disconnecting the MAF and try if the throttle response improves is a way to test if it is bad. If that works on Merc could be worth a try. And it is free. The MAF is located on the intake plastic tube, an electronic device. Should be easy to get to and try disconnecting the electrical connector while the engine is off & ignition is off.

It could be a fuel delivering issue, which is a bit more work to find out, for example clogged fuel filter. Also good to check if the engine air filter is in OK shape. Although I'd think it would need to be very crammed up to cause a real issue other than general loss of performance.
The fault appeard more or less out of the blue. I´ve tried to change the fuel pump and filter and i also replaced the MAF 3 times.. since the computer showed it would be something wrong with it, even a brand new one showed that there were something wrong with it. But last time we changed it the car ran for about 20km and then the fault appeard once again and now we have no idea on what it is. I still havent checked thorough for vacuum leaks so thats one thing i will do before anything else.

Also thanks for the response!
Old 10-03-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C230 1997 W202
Originally Posted by Xelat
The fault appeard more or less out of the blue. I´ve tried to change the fuel pump and filter and i also replaced the MAF 3 times.. since the computer showed it would be something wrong with it, even a brand new one showed that there were something wrong with it. But last time we changed it the car ran for about 20km and then the fault appeard once again and now we have no idea on what it is. I still havent checked thorough for vacuum leaks so thats one thing i will do before anything else.

Also thanks for the response!
You're welcome, Well, three times replacing the MAF sounds way excessive to be normal wear and tear, unless the car has 200 000 miles and you owned it from day one. What kind of MAF did you buy? Multiple sources I've seen throughout the last 5 years reference the original OEM MAFs to be needed for Mercedes / BMW cars. Typically made by Bosch or Siemens. Buying aftermarket units is said simply not to work satisfactory.