C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
so heres a question that maybe somone whos been around our suspension alot can help with!

I've got a 2006 C55 with 19" TSW 235 up front and 265 tires in the back. Had this exact set up on my 2005 C230k with absolutely no problems rubbing etc! The only difference is that I have 3mm spacers on each wheel for the clk63 brakes I have installed...

Now with these on my C55 my driver side rear rubs on the top INSIDE and only that wheel! I can have 4 people or 2 just on the passenger side and it still rubs but wont rub on the passenger side!

I've had an indy shop take a look to make sure nothing was damaged or in need of replacing and I even replaced the spring with no luck! I've resorted to removing the inner liner just to have it scrape less at this point but it still does it!

I'm to the point of just replacing all of my springs with something stiffer but with it lowered I'm really worried its gonna be miserable rubbing at that point even with a stiffer spring! I'm not sure what size pad I've got yet although i've ordered a new set of #4 pads to see maybe its bad or needs to be replaced etc but i doubt that could be my soul problem. I've even though about just doing 10mm spacers in the rear to move it out more. I think i have the room to do it without rubbing the outside but not sure
Old 05-05-2014, 05:47 PM
TTR

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
R129 SL500 & W140 S500
So I can't seem to find the appropriate information despite how much I'm searching. Does anybody know what size perch pads are in a 2001 C240? I'm thinking of getting the H&R Sport Cup Kit and I'm currently on H&R lowering springs with stock struts. The rear is already too low, so I'm hoping that perhaps there's another perch pad that I can put in to compensate of the additional 0.2" drop with the Cup Kit for the rear. Also, if I can go lower in the front as well by someone using a smaller perch pad that would be amazing. Please advise.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63 AMG W211 & W203 Sport Pkg
Originally Posted by azn.ttr
So I can't seem to find the appropriate information despite how much I'm searching. Does anybody know what size perch pads are in a 2001 C240? I'm thinking of getting the H&R Sport Cup Kit and I'm currently on H&R lowering springs with stock struts. The rear is already too low, so I'm hoping that perhaps there's another perch pad that I can put in to compensate of the additional 0.2" drop with the Cup Kit for the rear. Also, if I can go lower in the front as well by someone using a smaller perch pad that would be amazing. Please advise.

Thanks in advance!
i believe this is the thickest for the back
Attached Thumbnails W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-dscf2596.jpg  
Old 05-06-2014, 01:01 PM
TTR

R129 SL500 & W140 S500
Do you know what came on our cars? **** should I just get KW V1 and worry about rebuilding later? I'm hearing every 20,000 km for rebuilding :/
Old 05-06-2014, 03:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'02 C320 Wagon, '78 308 GTS, '06 Highlander Hybrid
Do you know what came on our cars? **** should I just get KW V1 and worry about rebuilding later? I'm hearing every 20,000 km for rebuilding :/
I don't know if there was a definitive answer on what came OEM. There are 4 different size pads for the rear (fronts don't have them). In the OP's post, the number of "dots" on the pad indicate their thickness...one being the thinnest and four being the thickest. My '02 C320 wagon came with the thickest on the rears.

I installed a (sedan) Cup Kit and the rear looked like it was sagging. So, I replaced the rear springs with OEM SS springs and that worked like a charm.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:57 PM
TTR

R129 SL500 & W140 S500
Alright. Got my KW V1's put in and damn even at less than an inch from the lowest setting, it sits pretty high. Pretty sure at the absolute lowest setting I'm not gonna have any tuck up front. As for the rear, I guess I can't adjust it without dropping the whole suspension out apparently, kinda dumb. :/

Any suggestions?
Old 05-30-2014, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
The kw and bilstein coilovers are designed for performance in mind so they aren't going to drop much. My BC still have quite a bit of room still in front to max out even at my height. My rears are maxed and have the thinnest pads on.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05.C230K.SS
I'm looking to switch out my stock shocks & struts for something aftermarket (Koni, Bilstein). I've had my H&R cut sport springs on stock shocks/struts for almost 70K miles, and i think it may be time for a replacement. Can you guys guide me in the right direction? Here's the info that I have gathered so far: Koni's will drop the car height a tad bit more, and they have a 5 dampening setting adjustment. Do you have guys have any info regarding Bilstein?

Also, I've narrowed down to Koni and Bilstein. Do any of you know what particular model to get? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by rocafel1a
I'm looking to switch out my stock shocks & struts for something aftermarket (Koni, Bilstein). I've had my H&R cut sport springs on stock shocks/struts for almost 70K miles, and i think it may be time for a replacement. Can you guys guide me in the right direction? Here's the info that I have gathered so far: Koni's will drop the car height a tad bit more, and they have a 5 dampening setting adjustment. Do you have guys have any info regarding Bilstein?

Also, I've narrowed down to Koni and Bilstein. Do any of you know what particular model to get? Thanks.
coilovers...
Old 06-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Konis are 25% off on Tirerack at the moment; I'd vote for Koni Sports.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:26 PM

05.C230K.SS
Originally Posted by MJ50
coilovers...
I kinda figured that the money i spend to get new struts and shocks (say $700 if no sale), I might as well pay for coilovers, right?

I'm also considering H&R coilovers, which I'm guessing are a little over 1k. Pretty sure if I go with this route, I'd have to get spacers to clear the brakes, meaning i may also have to shave my fenders. Would it still be worth it to swap out my suspension at 70k miles?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:46 PM

2002 c240
Hey guys, would like your opinions since you all have experience... I've read the last few pages so I've definitely gained some insight, but not all my questions have been answered.

First things first- I plan on getting 18x8.5" rims with a +35 offset. I also plan to put 235/40/18 tires on them. Now that that's out of the way...
I plan on getting coilovers, too. This is where I'm a little... "wary." I don't want to slam the car, but I do want to lower it a good bit. Maybe (this is estimated) 1" in the back, 2" in the front. A very "clean" look with little gaps. From what I can gather H&R, Eibach and Koni(and I'd assume others) are all capable of this with their respective "base model" coilover kit. HOWEVER, I don't want to sacrifice too much ride quality.
Obviously, I have to compromise some. I still really don't know how much that is, exactly, because I feel like nobody is honest after installing them. Most say that it "isn't too much different" but I know that's not true... I want a relatively soft ride still that won't be that much different than OEM. Which I know can't happen.
From what I can gather the three brands I listed all cost under $1300, so this is my target price that I really don't want to spend more than. It won't be that way when it's all said and done with, but oh well.
So... my next question. Besides the coilover kit, what else would I have to get?
edit- Would also like to add that it seems like i'll need 5mm spacers, assuming they're hubcentric. I think i'll skip out on the swaybar upgrade...

Last edited by ildd; 08-11-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 C55
Alright. Got my KW V1's put in and damn even at less than an inch from the lowest setting, it sits pretty high. Pretty sure at the absolute lowest setting I'm not gonna have any tuck up front. As for the rear, I guess I can't adjust it without dropping the whole suspension out apparently, kinda dumb. :/

Any suggestions?
hmmm my KW's with an inch left to go down more and I'm on 35's
Old 10-04-2014, 04:24 PM

'06 C230 Silver (SOLD), '14 Black C250 Coupe, '16 Deep Ocean Blue Silverado
It's time to change shocks/struts on the wife's '06 C230. I want to keep the ride as close to stock as possible so I don't have to hear everyday that "It just doesn't ride like it used to."

I plan to stay with the stock springs because she likes the look the way it is. I could just get the OEM from the dealer but figured that I could get better quality for less money with an after market set. I was looking at the Bilsteins but not sure which ones would be best to keep the ride stock.

Thanks for the advice,
Old 12-17-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C350
Installed bilstein pss9's on my c230k 2005 today and man it rode better than stock, even that car is all the way down.if someone thinking of bilsteins, well dont hesiste just for it and youll never regret it.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:09 PM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Question for the Suspension savvy guys:

2001 C320 with the "Sport" designation on it's window sticker, it has 113,000 miles. It has all original suspension (except for 2 replaced springs in the back that broke a few years back) and it has begun to show. It is bouncy, noisy and rough.

Firestone quoted me $2700+ to do JUST the front end work. The rear end is also bouncy, so I am now on the market for suspension.

What are some good options that aren't too big of a hit in the pocket? I'd like to have the car sit flush to the wheels, with just a small gap, I don't like the "dropped" or "tucked" look I see a lot of cars with. But my car currently has a fist sized gap on the front, which I despise.

Ride doesn't really matter, so long as it's not jarring. I don't necessarily need adjustable, but if it comes for a good price, I'm not against it.

Option 1:

Springs: http://www.ecstuning.com/Mercedes_Be...ngs/ES1303282/

Shocks: http://www.ecstuning.com/Mercedes_Be...cks/ES2221027/

Option 2:

RMEuropean has Bilstein shocks, struts and springs for a total of $484. They are labeled as "Touring". However, the springs have one with a yellow tag, one with a red tag, which I'm not sure my car uses.

Option 3:

AutoZone offers the following:

Bilstein/Shock/Strut - Front
Part Number: 22141705
Alternate Part Number: F4VNEE170BG
Notes: Strut assembly
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Unit Price $115.99
$231.98

Bilstein/Shock/Strut - Rear
Part Number: 24114714
Notes: Shock
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Unit Price $97.99
$195.98

Product Total: $427.96

But I would still have to find springs.

I'm trying to make this process as painless as possible, so I want to get everything in one shot, without spending too much.

Options? Is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there? I don't want to tear it up again for a VERY long time, if ever.

Last edited by neurodave; 01-13-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by neurodave
What are some good options that aren't too big of a hit in the pocket? I'd like to have the car sit flush to the wheels, with just a small gap, I don't like the "dropped" or "tucked" look I see a lot of cars with. But my car currently has a fist sized gap on the front, which I despise.
Nothing short of coilovers will resolve that for you unless you cut coils, which is truly worse than kissing your sister.

The front gap you see is nothing compared to the gap in what you want and what your budget will allow, it seems. The only way you'd get it would be to get lucky on a set of used COs, which is very dicey and most definitely not a good idea.

Decent coilovers would set you back $1,100 - 1,200. If that is too much, you're going to have to come down on your expectations. And my guess is that you're going to need 500-1,000 to fix everything else that's wrong with your suspension when they start tearing it apart; even if Firestone is trying to completely hose you, you definitely have some serious issues going on. My opinion would be to first get an estimate from a shop that you completely trust (if you don't know of one, I'd suggest Harry at Bergen Imports in Cliffside Park) on exactly what has to be done without new springs/struts, then see how much money you'd have left over for coilovers or whatever. Otherwise, there's a good chance you won't be able to complete everything.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:07 AM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Originally Posted by tommy
Nothing short of coilovers will resolve that for you unless you cut coils, which is truly worse than kissing your sister.

The front gap you see is nothing compared to the gap in what you want and what your budget will allow, it seems. The only way you'd get it would be to get lucky on a set of used COs, which is very dicey and most definitely not a good idea.

Decent coilovers would set you back $1,100 - 1,200. If that is too much, you're going to have to come down on your expectations. And my guess is that you're going to need 500-1,000 to fix everything else that's wrong with your suspension when they start tearing it apart; even if Firestone is trying to completely hose you, you definitely have some serious issues going on. My opinion would be to first get an estimate from a shop that you completely trust (if you don't know of one, I'd suggest Harry at Bergen Imports in Cliffside Park) on exactly what has to be done without new springs/struts, then see how much money you'd have left over for coilovers or whatever. Otherwise, there's a good chance you won't be able to complete everything.
Thank you for the response Tommy! Like I said on a previous post, I will definitely check that shop out in the coming days.

My budget for this isn't a big deal, per se, because I could spring for coilovers and call it a day. I guess my fret is how much I've spent recently. Just paid MB close to $1K yesterday, on top of the $1K I paid a few weeks ago, and another $1K a few weeks before that at Firestone. Not only that, I still need tires, so that's another expense to add to my list. I guess I'm torn right now on spending a nice chunk and get some coilovers and keep the car, or just keep the costs minimal and make it "safe" until I decide what I ultimately want to do with the car.

I was looking at some H&R suspension on Tirerack which doesn't hit the pocket too much. For another $150 on top of my "inexpensive" purchase idea above, I could get the whole suspension. This is the kit I was looking at:

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...1&autoModClar=

They also have the same kit, for the same price, but with a bigger drop up front. I guess my only concern is IF I do go this route, which would be best? A 2" drop up front would be PERFECT the way it's sitting right now, but I'm not sure if they mean 2" from stock height, or what. I'm afraid if I put those on, it'll be too low, and I'll run into more problems.

The other kit has a front drop of 1.4", which seems reasonable, but again, if it won't really lessen the gap up front, I may as well go with my "stock" route and save myself the $150.

Last edited by neurodave; 01-16-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Yes, those are drops from stock height, so take that into account if you can.

Honestly, we're basically playing russian roulette with our early gen cars at this point, so any money you spend now could be just pissing down the drain, or it could be worth its value in extending your ownership a few years.

I know that I'm starting to do things cheaply now with that in mind. One of my OZ rims is curbed, and was initially going to get all four repowdercoated in another color, but instead, just having that one redone in the same color. Saves me about $6-800, that I can put instead elsewhere instead of the smurfmobile.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:31 PM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Originally Posted by tommy
Yes, those are drops from stock height, so take that into account if you can.

Honestly, we're basically playing russian roulette with our early gen cars at this point, so any money you spend now could be just pissing down the drain, or it could be worth its value in extending your ownership a few years.

I know that I'm starting to do things cheaply now with that in mind. One of my OZ rims is curbed, and was initially going to get all four repowdercoated in another color, but instead, just having that one redone in the same color. Saves me about $6-800, that I can put instead elsewhere instead of the smurfmobile.
I've been neglecting my rims as well. They look fine, except for some curb rash and a slight bend on one rim, but it isn't important enough for me to fix at the moment.

I think I'm gonna play it safe and go the 1.4" drop route, I'm afraid 2" from stock might be too low for my taste. But first I'll go to that shop and see wha they say.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:35 AM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Does a cup kit like the H&R Touring Cup kit require anything additional for installation? I ask, becuase on ECS I see that all the way at the bottom there is an option to purchase an "installation kit" so I'm not sure if it's required or not.

Anything that I SHOULD buy aside from the kit to ensure it all goes in accordingly?

Also, would this be a good pair to go with?

Bilstein Touring Class (B4) Shock Front fitment
for 2001 Mercedes-Benz C320

$93.00
Bilstein Touring Class (B4) Shock Rear fitment

$79.00
H&R Sport Spring Set Front and Rear fitment

$244.00

Basically Bilstein B4's with the H&R Sport Springs.

Last edited by neurodave; 02-07-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:43 PM

Mercedes S203 c200cdi
kw v2
2 coils cut in front on lowest
1.5 coils cut in back without pad and adjustment rings
18" 8.5j carlsson with front 215/35/18 and rear 215/45/18

Old 09-01-2015, 09:56 PM

2006 mercedes benz c230 (w203)
lowering car

ok. i am a complete noob to this and i have a 2006 mercedes benz c230. i want to lower my car to get better handling affects but i dont want the dreaded speed bumps to kill me or rubbing. (i also have a monster driveway hill that scraps my exhaust already). can someone help me into what to buy?