C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2002 C320 anomalies...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
Unhappy 2002 C320 anomalies...

Hey folks, after breaking in my C320 (past the 1K marker), I have noticed a couple of things and wanted to see if anyone else encountered these -

While turning the steering wheel left and right after some driving, I can hear and feel a twitching between the steering wheel and the turn signal/wiper control. I don't think it is affecting anything negatively, just a nuisance I think.

Driver's side seat feels a tiny bit loose and I can feel a slight shift/knock/click when making sharp left AND right turns - and no, I'm not overweight!!!

Rear passenger (driver side) window doesn't automatically close when the window switch is depressed from the driver side console, but all of the other three windows close automatically just fine.

Passenger side mirror no longer faces down when parking.

I figured these may be things I can easily fix if possible, but since I'm still under service warranty I wanted to check before I took the trip to the dealer...

Thanks in advance for everyone's feedback...
Old 07-02-2002, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Re: 2002 C320 anomalies...

Originally posted by cab000
Passenger side mirror no longer faces down when parking.
I don't have this feature, but it can be turned on/off via the FSS. Perhaps you accidently turned it off somehow changing something else.

Cheers, BT
Old 07-02-2002, 01:58 PM

c320 wagon
This past weekend I had the same problem with the rear window on the driver side. I was rolling it down and I heard a click and then it wouldn't go up automatically. I kept rolling it down a little then back up but it wasn't automatic. Finally I rolled the window down all the way and it fixed the problem.

About the passenger mirror...are you sure that you have it set to do it? You have to program where you want it to go and it depends on the key. If you programmed it for a certain seat memory setting and now are not using that setting or are using a different key then you will need to reprogram it.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
The rear window sounds like it needs to be re-synched. Check your owners manual for the instructions. For the passenger side mirror, you have to have this feature activated AND the selector switch for the mirrors has to be on the passenger side. I have this feature turned on but have the selector switch set to the drivers side most of the time. When I want to use it to park, I just select the passenger side, put it in R and it goes down just fine. I haven't noticed any clicking when turning the wheel, except for the auto shut off of the blinker. Not sure if that's what you mean. As far as the seat moving, I do not have this at all. But then again, I normally take corners at a slower speed, so if you are an aggressive driver, you may notice something that I don't.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I've had the rear mirror "forget" it's reverse setting before. Try resetting it. I forget the procedure - press this button, hold down, press that button for five seconds - whatever. It's in the manual.

Make sure your left/right switches are set to "right" or the mirror will not go down in reverse.

The seat looseness is fixit for the dealer in my opinion.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:07 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
the reverse tilt down of the mirror feature only on when your adjustment switch is on the passenger side. If you had adjust the driver side rear view mirror and left the switch depressed on that side. The tilt down function won't work.

At least that how it is on the E320. Learn that from driving the E320 loaner for over 3 months.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
I can feel my driver seat bottom shift slightly also when I take a turn, and I think it's a relatively common occurrence. It's interesting that you've got it on your C320, since I didn't spring for the full electric seats on my C240 and I was wondering if it was related to the manual seat bottom angle adjustment. I made my appt. for my first "A" service for 7/10, and I told my service guy about it as an item to be checked. I'll let you know if they make any correction.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pixmation - How are you liking the IS? i liked driving my friends....
Old 07-02-2002, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
lol speaking of IS300, my seat bottom also clicks and moves around! wtf!!
Old 07-03-2002, 01:11 AM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
Originally posted by Fuzzo
Pixmation - How are you liking the IS? i liked driving my friends....
So far I like it very much. Since I haven't driven the C230K for months, the IS300 seems a little quieter than the C230K. I think maybe because of the supercharger in the C Coupe. But again I am still breaking in the IS300 and haven't push it yet.

The ride definitely firmer than the C Coupe but not to the point of harsh. I read that the IS300 5 speed has firmer suspension than the automatic version. I haven't test drove the auto so I wouldn't know.

The styling is growing on me. I guess a lot has to do with now owning thus having a different feeling than just seeing them on the street or show rooms.

I will probably can tell more after it breaks the 1000 miles mark.

BTW, I got a very good deal on it. $800 under invoice. Just got it this past Sunday.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:10 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Cab000, I had a "clucking" sound in my steering initially, but not a "twitch". I'd turn the wheel left or right through 120 degrees and "clunk," and same sound returning to neutral. Couldn't really feel anything in the steering. The sound was louder in the afternoon after the car sat in the sun and warmed up (I presume).

The dealer found something rubbing against the steering column and fixed it without drama.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Glad you like your IS, pix. Something about the exterior never caught on with me... but thats probably because I'm horribly biased. I might be interested in your side clears, do you have any pics and a price?
Old 07-04-2002, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Cab000, I had a "clucking" sound in my steering initially, but not a "twitch". I'd turn the wheel left or right through 120 degrees and "clunk," and same sound returning to neutral. Couldn't really feel anything in the steering. The sound was louder in the afternoon after the car sat in the sun and warmed up (I presume).

The dealer found something rubbing against the steering column and fixed it without drama.
Well, now there are two Mercedes which used to cluck. Damn chicken cars.:p
Old 07-12-2002, 09:51 PM

2002 C320
Originally posted by pixmation
the reverse tilt down of the mirror feature only on when your adjustment switch is on the passenger side. If you had adjust the driver side rear view mirror and left the switch depressed on that side. The tilt down function won't work.
This is true w/ the C as well. I actually like this feature because I don't want my mirror to have to tilt down EVERY time I reverse. It's nice to just flick the button over to the other side when I need to see a curb.

And just for the record....I'm at 1500 miles w/ no problems yet.

Last edited by SFC320; 07-12-2002 at 09:54 PM.