C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Help with comand unit in a W203

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with comand unit in a W203

Hello all, I am a first time MB owner and purchased a 2002 C230K a few weeks ago. the previous owner (partially) installed an MB comand unit. Apparently, he did not have the GPS antenna and the C1/C2 wire harness connected which caused the NAV system to not work.

Now the problem. I was able to open it up and find the part number of the comand unit today. It is A463 820 16 89 which does not seem like the correct unit for a W203 type car.

Can anyone help (I have sent an email to Steve and am waiting for a response) me complete the install of this unit in the car? Is there anything I should be aware of?

I have the C1/C2 harness part number A203 540 090998.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Old 12-10-2005, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
Originally Posted by maqsood
Hello all, I am a first time MB owner and purchased a 2002 C230K a few weeks ago. the previous owner (partially) installed an MB comand unit. Apparently, he did not have the GPS antenna and the C1/C2 wire harness connected which caused the NAV system to not work.

Now the problem. I was able to open it up and find the part number of the comand unit today. It is A463 820 16 89 which does not seem like the correct unit for a W203 type car.

Can anyone help (I have sent an email to Steve and am waiting for a response) me complete the install of this unit in the car? Is there anything I should be aware of?

I have the C1/C2 harness part number A203 540 090998.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Well, that part number is for a G-class SUV and if I am not mistaken the NAV drive does not have the correct gyro settings. I think that it will work, but it will not be accurate. I thought that you got the antenna, didn't we speak on another board? The C1 and C2 connectors can be purchased from various vendors, but I think that Steve will only sell his as a complete kit.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:49 AM

Yes John, We did talk on another board. I was trying to locate it but........

Anyways.... so it seems like the antenna is in fact the wrong type which means I will have to get it replaced. Next, I am not sure about the C connector pinouts either.

Do you think it is a good idea to just post for a trade?
Old 12-10-2005, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes John, We did talk on another board. I was trying to locate it but........

Anyways.... so it seems like the antenna is in fact the wrong type which means I will have to get it replaced. Next, I am not sure about the C connector pinouts either.

Do you think it is a good idea to just post for a trade?
Personally I would get the correct unit. As far as the antenna I have found sources for what you need. I have the pinouts for the C connectors and I have posted them below.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is what your antenna should look like and here is the link to purchase it.

Navigation antenna

You can get the C connectors from the same site, or you can sell what you have and get a whole kit from Steve and be up and running in no time. Let me know what I can do to help.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:22 AM

Thanks a lot John. This is exactly what I needed for the GPS antenna. I will talk to the parts department and see if they will take the part they sold me back and/or replace it with this specific one.

Second, the pinout I have is exactly the same. So I am going to pit the harness in adn wait for the antenna before closing the dash completely.

Any suggestion on how to fish the Aux in to the far right side of the glove compartment where they have the punch hole?

Again thank you very much for all the help (and quick) responses.

MK
Old 12-10-2005, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks a lot John. This is exactly what I needed for the GPS antenna. I will talk to the parts department and see if they will take the part they sold me back and/or replace it with this specific one.

Second, the pinout I have is exactly the same. So I am going to pit the harness in adn wait for the antenna before closing the dash completely.

Any suggestion on how to fish the Aux in to the far right side of the glove compartment where they have the punch hole?

Again thank you very much for all the help (and quick) responses.

MK
I wasn't paying attention when Steve installed my aux. port, but it will go behind the glovebox. I am not sure if the CD changer has to come out or not, but it may make things easier. You know, alot of guys didn't go to that location with the aux. I have seen it under the console, in the cupholder, etc.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by johncl
I wasn't paying attention when Steve installed my aux. port, but it will go behind the glovebox. I am not sure if the CD changer has to come out or not, but it may make things easier. You know, alot of guys didn't go to that location with the aux. I have seen it under the console, in the cupholder, etc.

Great idea. I can easily drill a hole on the side of the console or mabe fish the wire to the center console and plug it in there.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:13 PM

Update

I figured I would give you a quick update since you have been so kind. I just finished (with a lot of help from my little brother) and everything, including the auxiliary connector works. I will call the dealership to get a replacement antenna or buy form the link you suggested and test over next weekend.

My next project is going to be to find the pinout, voltage etc for the telephone. There is a phone (RJ11 maybe???) jack inside the arm rest and when I start the car it does give me a message saying there is no phone. i just need to figure out whether I can use my old motorola v60 in this car.

Again thanks for your help. I will probably continue to pester you for questions like those if you don't mind.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I figured I would give you a quick update since you have been so kind. I just finished (with a lot of help from my little brother) and everything, including the auxiliary connector works. I will call the dealership to get a replacement antenna or buy form the link you suggested and test over next weekend.

My next project is going to be to find the pinout, voltage etc for the telephone. There is a phone (RJ11 maybe???) jack inside the arm rest and when I start the car it does give me a message saying there is no phone. i just need to figure out whether I can use my old motorola v60 in this car.

Again thanks for your help. I will probably continue to pester you for questions like those if you don't mind.
You will need alot more hardware to get your phone working. To use your V60 you will need a UHI phone kit that Steve can get for you. Unfortunately it is not as easy as plugging into the RJ jack in the armrest. Steve sells complete kits, so I would email him for the details. I am glad that you got your NAV working, but I am not sure of the accuracy with the drive due to it being from a G-class. Maybe someone else will chime in on the specifics of that.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by johncl
I am glad that you got your NAV working, but I am not sure of the accuracy with the drive due to it being from a G-class. Maybe someone else will chime in on the specifics of that.
Well technically, the NAV is not working yet. I still need the antenna to make sure it will get a lock on the satellites. I am still concerned about when I will have to pull the instrument cluster out to slide the antenna in place but I will get the antenna next week so i can work on installing the antenna over the next weekend.

As far as accuracy, I will see how that goes after I get the NAV working. I feel somewhat comfortable with pulling the unit out if I have to replace the gyro angle piece or I may just sell this unit and instead get a replacement kit from Steve.