C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C240 (see pic): is this the location of "dipstick" for oil-suckers like topsider?

Old 12-31-2005, 07:10 PM
faz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 C240
C240 (see pic): is this the location of "dipstick" for oil-suckers like topsider?

I have searched and I know there are differing opinions on whether using a topsider type of vacuum pump is ok or not for oil changes.

I could not find, after searching for a few hours, anywhere showing where the location of the dipstick holder is for the C240 engine (2.6 liter V6 engine, 2002 or equivalent model.)

See the picture below: I see this orange cap, which looks like a cover for where the dipstick would be placed in. (the one pointed to by the arrow). Is this where I would be sucking the oil out of?

(On all my cars, I change the oil old fashioned way. On this one, I am going to try the topsider type of pump to suck the oil out, since the filter is so handily sitting on the top.)

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails C240 (see pic): is this the location of "dipstick" for oil-suckers like topsider?-oil_-002-medium-.jpg  
Old 12-31-2005, 07:28 PM

2005 C320 -Sports package - black / black
Faz,
I too have searched and searched on my 2005 C320 engine for the oil dip stick with no luck. If I'm not mistaken, the red one that you are referring too is the transmission oil. Let me know if you find it
Old 12-31-2005, 07:42 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
That Orange cap is indeed the oil tube. My C320 has the same configuration (same engine just more displacement), but cap is black. The cap is just that, as there is no dipstick attached. Go ahead and pull it out to see.

I would like to know, however, if the oil filter can be removed and the topsider inserted through that hole? It would have more room, (as the dipstick tube is only 5/16" in diameter or so if I remember). But I wonder if the topsider in the oil filter chamber would reach all the way down to the lowest portion of the pan.

Hopefully someone with a topsider can fill us in.

I would like to buy a topsider myself... Have you shopped around, and what is the best price, with a link, please?
Old 12-31-2005, 07:45 PM

BLACK 05 C230SS
Hi,

I have C230SS and I changed my oil before. The red cap is the oil cap but there is NO DIPSTICK. If you want a dipstick you need to purchase one from the dealer and I think it costs like $100.00 if I'm not mistaken.

I used the OILBOY Marine Pump and pumped the oil out from the top and after it fills up the pump, you need to pour it out in a Oil container and than pump again to get the rest out. The filter is on the top and you just need a monkey wrench or a 27MM socket. I used a monkey wrench and than put towels under the filter to prevent it from spilling. It's very easy if you get the topsider pump. I wish I bought one that holds more oil and I wouldn't have to empty it out. Just to note that the measurements are in Liters on the topsider and not quarts. Do a little math.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:49 PM

BLACK 05 C230SS
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
That Orange cap is indeed the oil tube. My C320 has the same configuration (same engine just more displacement), but cap is black. The cap is just that, as there is no dipstick attached. Go ahead and pull it out to see.

I would like to know, however, if the oil filter can be removed and the topsider inserted through that hole? It would have more room, (as the dipstick tube is only 5/16" in diameter or so if I remember). But I wonder if the topsider in the oil filter chamber would reach all the way down to the lowest portion of the pan.

Hopefully someone with a topsider can fill us in.

I would like to buy a topsider myself... Have you shopped around, and what is the best price, with a link, please?

I used the topsider thinnest tube to drop into the dipstick tube. After you are about empty, you can still pump and push up and down the topsider tube to get the rest out. I actually got all the oil out and just to be sure I added some fresh oil in the top and sucked that out to. There's no need to use the tube and stick it in the filter location.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:16 PM
faz

'02 C240
thanks for the replies, everyone.

I had already pulled the cap out and saw that it was a just a cap. But the pipe that it is on, gets a funny bend at the bottom which is not necessarily a characteristic of a dipstick tube. Also, since it could have been the transmission dipstick as well, I was wondering if anyone knows if this is indeed the oil dipstick location for sure.

Thanks to those who confirmed this.

WHY THE HELL WON'T MERCEDES INCLUDE A DAMN STICK IN THIS CAR IS BEYOND ME! yes, the computerized oil checking can stay in place. But why not include a piece of metal in here, for the rest of us oil/gear heads.

(I was as surprised to see that a damn CD player/changer is a $900 option on a $30k luxury car, while it appears readily standard on $12k econo boxes.)

As for the link, I have just come across this one which seems to be a good price. I just ordered one through them.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/390306.htm
Old 12-31-2005, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
theres a small hole somewhere near the tranny hole for the engine dipstick as i remembered