C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

SRS Malfunction message...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRS Malfunction message...

I was messing with the connections on the back of the stock radio and all of a sudden this message came up. Did I actually break it somehow? Or is there a way to just reset it (disconnect battery or something?)? I checked all the SRS fuses, don't think any were blown.

Thanks a lot.
Old 08-03-2002, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why would you go messing there, bored? I got that when I unpluged the top plug on the back of the panel above the radio so I can get to the radio. When I drove the car with that disconnected it complained about the SRS. When I connected everything back up it was fine and it went away. If it persists you have to bring it in and play dumb.
Old 08-03-2002, 11:48 PM

Heh...yeah, I was bored, but actually I was trying to install a radio into the car. And I guess I forgot to plug the little harness on top in before I turned on the car...but now even with it on it won't go away. I am hoping it'll go away later (if not I'll have to bring it in huh?)

Thanks Buellwinkle
Old 08-04-2002, 02:34 AM

2000 300m, 2003 C-Coupe
The Airbag system SRS will indicate a fault when not operating properly, or if a connection was lost or opened within the system and not properly closed. Typically the light will go out when the key switch is cycled or when the car driven beyond 5mph. If the light is still on after reconnecting ALL harnesses and a cycle of the switch and a test drive, there is a SRS active fault. You should re check the connectors (unplug and re-plug) and if still a problem, head to the dealer. It is possible that the light continues to be on with a stored fault (inactive), but I doubt it. The system should do a self check and store the fault. The next service stop, the tech will clear all stored codes. If the SRS light is on, your airbag system is inactive.

Oh, yeah, one other possibility, the dash has an airbag off button, did you press it? Try pressing again to see if the light turns off.
Old 08-04-2002, 02:07 PM

Actually the light on the dash (above radio) comes on for a few seconds and then goes off. The fault message on the display doesn't though. I haven't driven the car yet, but am going to do that right now. I'll let you know if it worked.

Thanks.

edit: Okay, drove around, didn't work, cycled through on and off and stuff too. I guess gonna have to go in...btw, where's the airbag button? There's a little black plastic piece that says airbag but it isn't a button.

Thanks.

Last edited by hawk; 08-04-2002 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2002, 04:59 PM

2000 300m, 2003 C-Coupe
Hawk, I don't have my car yet so I assumed it was a button. Mayby just a disabled light? You should check the manual. It will be a couple weeks before I get my manual.
Old 08-04-2002, 05:03 PM

'02 C230K Coupe
Originally posted by grn300m
Hawk, I don't have my car yet so I assumed it was a button. Mayby just a disabled light? You should check the manual. It will be a couple weeks before I get my manual.
It's part of the system that works with baby seats with a certain chip installed in them. The chip alerts the car to the fact that there's a baby seat present in the front passenger seat, then disables the airbag to prevent any related mishaps from occuring in an accident. The LED on the dash then lights up indicating that the system has turned the front passenger airbag off.

Completely automated, no button. Otherwise, if you had a person you really disliked sitting next to you in the car... reach over, push the button... and "whoops!", drive off the road.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:21 PM

Hahahahaha, I never thought of that before..."hey what's your name, want a ride?"

Yeah, but it's not a button, and well, gonna drive it around some more. I hope I can fix this since it's not my car! Doh. Thanks for your help (and have fun with your car, when are you getting it?).