C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Have I made the right choice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
Have I made the right choice?

Having signed on the bottom line for a 2003 C230, I am (perhaps belatedly) reading through this forum with growing nervousness. Have I made the right decision? I have three pre-delivery months in which to wonder.

I was (am) looking for a hatchback that feels and is smaller and more nimble than my current everyday drive, a 98 Volvo S70 T5 which I bought new. I chose the C230 based on my comfort with its specifications, features, driving feel, and the build quality apparent to the eye. All of these I like. And way back in the 70s and 80s I owned three MBs one after the other, all reliable, well made and seemingly prepared to run forever.

No question, the C230 is more complex than cars used to be, but I want to be buying a car for its car-like values, not for its capacity to simulate a rolling computer. Reliability is important to me. So I’m a bit disturbed by the frequency with which I see posts about problems with sensors and the electronic side of the vehicle. My S70, which has close to 80K kilometres on the clock and lots of electrical stuff, has been completely reliable. Aside from replacing wear items and a few recalls, absolutely no repairs have been needed. Not one adjustment, not one warranty claim by me other than the recalls. And I expect no less from a car with the star.

I see posts from well-informed people suggesting that those with problems are in the minority. But as I said, I have three months to wonder. Am I about to become disillusioned? Are there members who have had no problems with the coupe at all?
Old 08-21-2002, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congragulations!!!!!!

You have made a great choice. The coupe is no doubt a fantastic car, very reliable and a blast to drive.

With any class of new cars you are bound to have a few that malfunction. Mine (knock on wood) I'm happy to say has been running perfectly without problem and I'm at about 4,000 miles right now.

I hope you are happy with your investment
Old 08-21-2002, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
ok, let me voice some reassurance. i've had a couple of problems (roof shade, foggy vent, etc) but i'm certainly happy w/ the car overall. i think you made a very good choice.

i've never had a car that didn't have problems... well, my acura integra didn't, but that's the exception!

the only problem i see is that you have to wait 3 months...
Old 08-21-2002, 10:42 PM

C230 K Coupe
I love the car more everyday!
Old 08-21-2002, 10:42 PM

C250 Coupe 2012
I have the Volvo S60 2.4T (wife's with 18K miles) and I have a Magma Red C230 Coupe (6k miles). Both cars have been perfect. Over all, the majority of owners have had few problems. I have owned Volvo's since 1976 with very few problems and bought the Coupe for it's price/value and build quality. You will enjoy, the hard part is not worrying about what could happen, but when you can pick it up.
Go for it......
Tom

Last edited by C230K; 08-24-2002 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:03 PM

05 CLK 500 cab
Thanks, group, for supporting the car. I'm feeling reassured
Old 08-22-2002, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Having both '98 S70 GLT and '02 C Coupe, I can testify that the Coupe is a better car in almost all respects... but the engine. You are going to miss the slingshot acceleration of your T5 in a Coupe. I'd be a happy camper if I could have that T5 motor in mine.
As for reliability - you shouldn't worry, unless you get a lemon, of course. Viewing your brick as an example, the '98-'99 were the worst years for Volvo as far as build quality is concerned, even their corporate people had admitted that. Yet you're saying that yours is fine (so is mine, BTW). As a side note, they have successfully recovered from that with the introduction of the new P2 platform in 2000.
I'm not sure if MB is having a build quality dip right now, but comparing complaints between Volvo in '98-99 and MB '01-'02, based on forum discussions, I'd say Volvo's situation was worse. To summarize this tirade, I believe you have made the right choice.

Last edited by vadim; 08-22-2002 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I was (am) looking for a hatchback that feels and is smaller and more nimble than my current everyday drive,.....snip....I chose the C230 based on my comfort with its specifications, features, driving feel, and the build quality apparent to the eye.
You don't have many other choices. Enjoy the C!
Old 08-22-2002, 08:53 AM
JeT

So Lars,

What other cars were you considering? If you are looking for a hatch, I don't think there is any other brand around that is as good as a Merc (wel, in Oz at least). And for the size of the car, the back seats are huge!
Old 08-22-2002, 09:01 AM

2002 c230k
The best part of the coupe is that it is very fun to drive. It is very nimble yet it feels rock solid, you'll love it!
Old 08-22-2002, 10:06 AM
taylor192

Re: Have I made the right choice?

Originally posted by lars
No question, the C230 is more complex than cars used to be, but I want to be buying a car for its car-like values, not for its capacity to simulate a rolling computer. Reliability is important to me. So I’m a bit disturbed by the frequency with which I see posts about problems with sensors and the electronic side of the vehicle.
I am awaiting my C230K on order (T-minus 2 weeks) and decided to checkout this forum to find potential problems with the car too.

From my reading except for some lemons, most problems have been cosmetic (roller shade, roof squeaks, foggy vent, ...) or faulty sensors (covered under warrantee, doesn't really affect drivability), and most seem to be fixed during the regular service schedules, not many seem to have had the need to go in for extra service.

My decision is made, no worries.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:30 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
lars, I feel you've made a great choice. The vast majority of Coupe owners (as noted above) seem to have few, if any reliability problems with their cars. There are lots of opinions here about how to make the car better, but that doesn't mean that the car MB makes is deficient in any way.

As you have observed, there are several threads on this forum regarding "problems" with the car as perceived by some members. Most are personal preference issues and in some cases minor delivery faults and annoyances.

Very ocassionally, we see a post from someone who has a major reliability problem, such as the car stalling in traffic, etc. These major issues need to be discussed, and this forum is a great place to gather and share information, and seek mutual support. However, one side effect is the temptation to view such posts as an implication of a large scale problem affecting all the cars, which has not proven to be the case so far.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:32 AM

2002 C230K, 2001 Audi TT 225 Coupe
Re: Have I made the right choice?

Originally posted by lars
Are there members who have had no problems with the coupe at all?
I have over 5k miles after 3 months and no problems other than the rear shelf making a bit of small noise (most privacy shelfs, even in other makes, do cause some problems)

But quality is good, the car is fun, has a good ride and the clutch gets better as you put more miles on the car. So if you are looking for value, reliability, room, fun, nice ride, good handling, great sunroof, great a/c, but a not overly sporty car, you have found the right car for yourself.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:44 AM

Alabaster White C230K Grey Int. and 2003 C32 pewter/charcoal gray
Thumbs up Congratulations!!!

Its a very nice car. So fun to drive.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:23 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Naaa man, you're gonna love it! I am smiling like a court jester just thinking about the car.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:23 PM

My Mercedes is a great automobile, it is fun to drive and it has a proven drivetrain. I am very pleased with it. When my wife traveled accross country she had no problems with the vehicle. (she drove in all types of conditions, rain, mountians, desert etc).
I believe you will have no second thought about the purchase.....
Old 08-22-2002, 09:37 PM

C230K
I'm an ex-C230K owner, and current Volvo S60T owner. I was one of the few who had serious problems with my C230K, and due to the gross ignorance and non-chalance of the dealership, got rid of it in disgust, taking a huge financial knock in the process. I do not miss the car at all.

I will, however, concede that I was in the minority, and if the car had behaved I would not have had to spend so much time at the dealership, and would in all likelihood still be a happy Mercedes driver.

So, do not heed posts like "let me reassure you, the C230K is a wonderfully reliable car, because mine is perfect" or conversely, "the C230K is a POS because mine is crap". Look at the overall picture. I think you will find that the C230K is a good car, and at a great price.

I, based on my experience, will never buy another MB again, and I think that most of the people on this forum would do the same if they'd had my experience.

Good luck, and enjoy.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:45 PM

C230
Happy Owner

I'm one of those C-coupe guys who posted here about a problem with the car stalling in traffic. For the record, my dealer found the problem in 1 try, had the part in 1 day, and repaired under warrantee the same day. I couldnt be happier with the car and with the dealer. I've owned faster cars and better handling cars, but I've never been as pleased overall as I am with this one. I wish you the best with it. Relax about your choice. You're gonna love it.