C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Just bought a 2002 C320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 02:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Smile Just bought a 2002 C320

Hello all! I'm new to this board. I just found it a couple of days ago. I originally ordered a C230 Sports Coupe in Black with C2 and the C7 package and Charcoal leather interior. The car was supposed to go into production on 11/30 with delivery in Jan. I just found out last week from the dealer that it was delayed, and will not go into production until at least the end of Jan with delivery in March. Waiting that long was not an option, so I decided to get the C240 Sedan instead. After test driving though, I found it to be a little sluggish in acceleration, so I opted for the C320 instead. They actually had a car that I liked on the lot, so I get to pick it up tomorrow. Looking forward to breaking it in, and my wife is looking forward to not having to shuttle me in and out of work!

FYI: This is my second MB. Had a 76 MB when I was in the army in Germany in the 80s! Even though the car was 10 years old when I bought it, it was by far the best car that I ever owned!
Old 12-30-2001, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Welcome to the group! Tell us more about your new C320, color, options, etc. Sounds like one more step and you'd be driving a C32 AMG!
Old 12-31-2001, 01:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
It's a great looking car. I got the black with the Java Leather interior. I originally wanted the Charcoal interior, but I really liked the way the Java looked with the black. It also got my wife's vote, so I guess it can't be wrong The only option that I got really was the C2 package. I looked at one with the C6 package, but considering I was already two cars up from where I started (I originally was going to get the C230), I couldn't justify spending the extra $3K. Mistake on my part? Time will tell; you always want what you don't have.

Really really liked the new C32! Maybe in a few years I'll trade up.

Enjoying myself quite a bit reading all the comments, and opinions on this board.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2001, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
If you noticed my signature line, I've got Capri Blue (very dark) and Java. I've always preferred tan/beige tone interiors to gray/black, and I think the various subtle shades of the Java look great, especially with darker colors. C2 is the "necessary" package w/ the sunroof, so you got the important stuff. I was reading another thread yesterday regarding the sport package, and most people thought that except for the minor exterior mods, it wasn't worth the expense. Happy new year, and have fun driving your C!
Old 12-31-2001, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Welcome to the board! Hope you like your C320. When it comes in be sure to post some pics for us.
Tim
Old 12-31-2001, 02:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Smile Just picked it up!

Just picked it up. I called this morning and had the CD Changer added to it. Originally I was going to get an after market one, but after reading some posts here, I decided that the MB one was the way to go.

Mark: I did like the Capri Blue. That would have been my second choice. I agree with you on the Java.

I'll post some pics when I get some in.
Old 12-31-2001, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
i think tan interiors look great! congrats on the new car! but what a change in heart from a c230k to a c320wagon! post the pics when you get a chance! thanks
Old 12-31-2001, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by young
i think tan interiors look great! congrats on the new car! but what a change in heart from a c230k to a c320wagon!
Young, I don't think he got a wagon, but a C320 sedan.
Old 12-31-2001, 04:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Thanks

Thanks for all the good wishes. Now if I could just get out of work to enjoy the car......

I did get the sedan, although I did think new wagon looked nice. I know wagons are not that popular over here, but I see a lot of them in Europe. I rented a Volvo wagon for two weeks in Germany this past September. It surprised me how nice it drove (for a wagon).

I really do like the C230 sports coupe, and I'm sure that there will be times when I wish I could have waited for mine to make it through production. I hope that it does well in the US. Does anyone think they will release any of the other versions here? I know in Germany they have a 190 and a 220 (I could be wrong with the numbers). I think they also have a Diesel version too.
Old 12-31-2001, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
heh, i had the wagon on my brain! part of the triumvirate of new C-class cars (c230k, c32, cwagon). ooops, my mistake. the sedan is an excellent choice.

Last edited by young; 12-31-2001 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-31-2001, 09:53 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Another Dallas-ite pleased by MB (see my sig line). Welcome aboard revstriker. I love my C320, and I think you will, too. Good move on getting the dealer installed CD-Changer... Good vibes, without all the aftermarket hassle.

What dealer did you get your car from (assuming you got it here in the Dallas metro area)?
Old 01-01-2002, 08:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Thanks Bob. So far so good with the new car. Glad I did get the CD changer. They were able to get it installed that morning (I called about 2 hours before I picked up the car to have it added. I figured I would have to take it in at a later date) Got the car from Ewing Autohaus in Plano. Very nice people there IMO.

Spent the morning reading the owners manual. Not fun reading, but I did learn some things that it does that I was unaware of: like the automatic oil check.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:50 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
LOL, revstriker. That 385 page manual is really juicy reading, isn't it. Took me 3 days to go through all of it.

I like the folks at Ewing, too. Much friendlier than those at Park Place (Irving). I bought my car from a broker in St. Louis, but I work in Carrollton by the Addison airport, so I'm only a few miles from Ewing. They've told me they will grant me a free loaner car for warranty work regardless. So I will be taking my car there... sometime. For now I'm quite pleased with the car as is.

I really like the Java interior, too. But it will command more cleaning attention than I expected. It shows the dirt very quickly, especially on the velour-like lower door panels and the B-pillar door seal area (that you rub with your back when you get in and out). I'm using a 50-50 solution of Simple Green and water, and it works pretty well.

I passed on the Sport Package (C6, right?) myself. I didn't like the 5-spoke wheels any more than the stock 7-spokers, and I didn't care much for the fact they were no larger in diameter than stock (what's the point?) Also, I wasn't keen on the idea that half the value in the package was for the leather seats. I prefer to keep the sporting bits separate from the creature comfort bits, so wasn't happy with how MB chose to package the package. I don't miss it at all.

Well, I babble. See ya around on the boards!
Old 01-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Thanks for the tips on cleaning. I didn't even think about keeping the interior clean when I bought it. How about the carpeting? Any tips on keeping that clean? I just got the regular floormats.

I agree with you on the sport package. I think the tires were a little wider, but there wasn't that much of a difference. The sport package on the C230 was more impressive with the addition of the 17 inch tires.

Take care, and happy motoring.
Old 01-02-2002, 04:33 PM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
best tip on floor mats and carpet

A vacuum... a very good vacuum to get all the gook out of the nooks and crannys. The crannys are the worse on this car. Gook luck with your new purchase. Is this your first benz? It is my first and I can say I fully understand how you feel. Nice interior choice.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:01 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
vinmanc32 is right, a good vacuum with attachments is a must (for any car). I have a wet/dry shop vac with attachments that work well. My worst problem with the carpets is the lack of a (non-carpeted)dead pedal for the left foot to rest on. As it is, you put the sole of your shoe directly on the tan carpeting, which is not protected by the standard floormats. That area gets dirty quickly. I never noticed it as much with grey interiors.

I broke down and bought some WeatherTech floormats (from mats.com). In tan, they are about the same color as your Java dash top, so they look attractive in place. But they are quite expensive for floor mats (just under $100 with shipping for four mats). However, I was able to use some of the trimmings from the rear mats to make a dead foot pedal. I'll post a picture sometime.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 01-02-2002 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by MB-BOB

However, I was able to use some of the trimmings from the rear mats to make a dead foot pedal. I'll post a picture sometime.
So, MB-BOB, you did take my route too?
Old 01-02-2002, 06:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Good idea on the floormats. I guess $100 is not too much to pay if the mats are attractive. I just wouldn't want cheap looking mats in such a nice car. I had to replace the factory mats in my wife's BMW (long story), and they cost about $140.

I too have a wet/dry vac with some good attachments. I'll just have to keep on top of it, and get at any stains right away.

vinmanc32: This is actually my second MB officially. I had a 1976 MB 230.4 (I think) when I was in the army stationed in Germany. I bought it for $1000 in 1987. I had the car for 2 years, and never had a problem with it. I sold it as I was getting out to another serviceman for $1500. The car was in perfect condition! I haven't owned one since then, but I always promised myself that I would buy one.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:08 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by MarkL

So, MB-BOB, you did take my route too?
Mark, I remember you were going to use the leftover WeatherTech pieces (good idea), but I don't recall you explaining how you were going to attach them. Velcro under the scraps?

I bought one of the thin, cheap, tan mats at Walmart and cut it to size to fit under the rigid trim to the left and drape it over the dead pedal area held in place in the footwell side with velcro. While in place, I traced on this pad the general position of the pedal, using the WeatherTech pads as a pattern.

I then removed everything and hot-glued the WeatherTech pads in place on the thin mat. It worked great. I had enough of the flat mat left over to make a rub pad in the footwell to the right of the accelerator pedal also held in place with velcro.

I took pictures of this, the compass bracket and flat badge installation, but used only 9 of a 24 shot roll of film. Once I use the rest of the pictures, I'll develop and post. Thanks for the idea.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
MB-BOB, you're much more industrious than I am, and that glue gun seems to come in handy! I tried to put just the "loop" part of the velcro on the back of the mat strips, but it really needs the other piece attached to the carpet too for better hold (haven't done that yet). But, the way I've tucked the pieces under the main mat, they pretty much stay in place. I'll be interested in seeing your pics when you finish your roll.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hope you will accept this congrats from me, eventhough it's almost three years late!
Old 08-19-2004, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Blimp
Originally Posted by DevilishBenz
Hope you will accept this congrats from me, eventhough it's almost three years late!

Old 08-20-2004, 12:27 AM

04 Black C320, 04 Black Nissan Murano
Red face

I get to drive the missus 04.5 c320, once in a while....I have a 04 Nissan Murano.

Love the acceleration on the 320.... Love the handling around curves...

Only question is how quickly the front rims get dirty...

Reason? Advice?
Old 08-20-2004, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230 kompressor
Originally Posted by dtfwong
I get to drive the missus 04.5 c320, once in a while....I have a 04 Nissan Murano.

Love the acceleration on the 320.... Love the handling around curves...

Reason? Advice?

normal mb thing its brake dust all do it you gan get the gay things that block it but it hides your brake and makes it look like you have hubcaps
Old 08-20-2004, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by dtfwong
Reason? Advice?
All newer series MB's (and BMW's for that matter) are very prone to heavy brake dust due to the pads their using. You can get better quality (more expensive) brake pads like ceramic or mintex ones that don't dust at all, but on the flip side create more wear on your rotors. I feel that it's easier and cheaper to replace pads often than rotors. There are some new MB brake pads that are a bit less "dirty". Check / Search these forum threads, there's been plenty of talk on MB brake pads, dust, and rotor wear issues.

Only advice, if you're going to stick with your current brake pads (which I would until they're worn, and then look into a better quality pad), is to clean your wheels 2-3 times a week. "Meguiar's" has some good wheel cleaners. Basically, spray on a cool wet wheel, then 15-20 seconds later rinse. Most of the brake dust grime just washes away. If you let it build up for more than 3-5 days, it starts getting baked on the wheel, and will require heavy elbow-grease to take that grut off ! I know, it's a pain in the @$$, but I'd rather have clean wheels, than get crazy looks from people, who figure that if you're driving a nice MB, then ask "why do you're wheels look like crap?"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2002 C320