C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Successfully disassembled rearview mirrors on C-Coupe!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 C230K Coupe
Exclamation Successfully disassembled rearview mirrors on C-Coupe!!!

It took about 2 hours to figure this whole thing out, but I successfully gained access to the turn signal lights in the rearview mirrors. I'll post as complete instructions as I can and I'll try to add photos later if people are having trouble.

Tools:
  • 1 or 2 small/medium flathead screwdrivers (you'll see why 2 later)
  • Flashlight (to help you look inside the mirror assembly if it's too dark)
  • T10 Torx driver (this is OPTIONAL!)

Instructions:[list=1][*]Center mirror and tilt forward all the way[*]Look for a thin metal "wire" running across the top behind the mirror, this is the securing bracket for the mirror[*]Using one screwdriver, push the outer edge of this wire down and away from the mirror to free it from the plastic tab holding it in place. (You can use the second screwdriver here to help you if you have some difficulty)[*]Completely free the wire from the entire bracket, just work it around until it comes undone from all the plastic tabs. Set this wire aside.[*]The mirror is still attached to the motors by two plastic tabs that are farther inside the assembly. Looking at the mirror from the front like a clock, the tabs are located at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions. Using a small screwdriver, slowly bend the plastic tabs away from the motor assembly. (If you put too much pressure, like I did, they have a tendency to break, but the mirror can still stay secure when you re-assemble it)[*]Once the tabs are loose, push the mirror downwards and pull out. The mirror should now be loose from the motor. If you have the auto-dimming function, there should be wires attached to the back of the mirror. Disconnect these and remember the order they were attached.[*]OPTIONAL: Using the T10 Torx driver, unscrew the three screws holding the motor to the mirror. (If you do not remove the motor, the mirror casing can still be removed)[*]The mirror is spring-mounted to the car, and can be bent forwards and backwards nearly 90-degrees in each direction (with a little force). Bend the mirror towards the rear of the car. If you look up the forward-facing side of the mirror casing carefully, you'll be able to spot a metal clip that holds the mirror case to the car. Use the screwdriver to push the clip loose, and the mirror casing should come off. If you didn't remove the mirror motor, be careful as it can get in the way while it slides off.[*]The lighting array is connected to the power by means of metal contacts, so there are no wires to disconnect. There is a inner "case" clipped onto the mirror housing. This is where the bulbs are held. Use a small screwdriver to detach all of the little plastic clips holding the bulb enclosure to the mirror housing. Remeber to be careful about applying force here, the plastic is somewhat sensitive here too.[*]Once the bulb enclosure comes off, the entire set of bulbs is now easily changable by removing and replacing them from the enclosure. Just like the CLK bulbs, these are incandescent "2731" type wedge-bulbs.[*]Re-attach the bulb assembly to the mirror case, making sure all the clips are secure to ensure a water-tight seal.[*]Slide the mirror case back onto the car assembly, and it should "click" into place.[*]Replace the motor (if removed) and re-attach the auto-dimming wires to the mirror (if equipped).[*]Replacing the mirror is somewhat difficult because of the replacement of the metal wire holding the whole thing in place. Just reverse the way in which you removed the wire, and it should go on.[*]Wipe the mirror free of handprints, re-align the mirrors, and give the new bulbs a test! You have now completed the bulb swap.[/list=1]

Unfortunately, I didn't have any replacement bulbs, so I pretty much just disassembled and re-assembled the mirror and left the bulbs yellow, but I plan to replace them as soon as I get the chance. If anybody successfully changes their bulbs, please put some pictures! Good luck!
Old 10-07-2002, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe
Are you talking about the side mirrors? Great instructions though!
Old 10-07-2002, 08:35 PM

c230 Coupe
whyd you take your pulley off 20FHK02?
Old 10-07-2002, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Re: Successfully disassembled rearview mirrors on C-Coupe!!!

Originally posted by preyx
Unfortunately, I didn't have any replacement bulbs, so I pretty much just disassembled and re-assembled the mirror and left the bulbs yellow, but I plan to replace them as soon as I get the chance. If anybody successfully changes their bulbs, please put some pictures! Good luck!
Honestly I would just paint them rather than replace the bulbs
Old 10-08-2002, 01:24 AM

Porsche 911
Easy Way

This is an alternative to the method described above, although I have done both and they both work.

1) Position the mirror so the painted part will slide around it.
2) Push the Mirror towards the back of the car.
3) Look in and find the tab with a screwdriver and flashlight.
4) Lift the tab while gently pulling the cover off the mirror.
5) Be careful when the mirror snaps back
6) It's Off!
7) undo all black clips and pull light assembly off
8) replace/paint lights.
9) snap cover back on.

The tab is circled in Red.

Old 10-08-2002, 01:38 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
Originally posted by hokusbenz
whyd you take your pulley off 20FHK02?
This post will tell you why I took it off:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=19078
Old 10-08-2002, 02:37 AM

C Class Coupe 02'
cool i've been wanting to do this since last july. good looking out. anybody got a pictured instruction?
Old 10-08-2002, 03:00 AM
JeT

Great instructions. I've been wanting to take the cover off the right side mirror for ages...I have a crack in the clear lense part of the outer cover and need to get it replaced. My only problem now is trying to find a place that sells just that part.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:19 PM

C Class Coupe 02'
Anybody know where i can get the super blue replacement bulbs? i asked my regular place but they didnt have it.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:28 PM

CLK 430 / Mitsu Eclipse GSX
Originally posted by JKDBENZ
Anybody know where i can get the super blue replacement bulbs? i asked my regular place but they didnt have it.
If you find out please post. I was thinking of just painting some clear bulbs from pepboys -- But I dont know what to paint them with. I have the replacement bulbs from pepboys currently but they are so halogen yellow that it just looks like the mirrors orange faded to yellow .
Old 04-28-2003, 05:46 PM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
Great instructions, I wish you posted them a week earlier. I just had the dealer replace the cracked turn signal lens on the mirror.

The actually sold me the whole "turnsignal assembly" not just the lens.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:00 PM

2005 C230
05 C230 Driver's Side Mirror

Hi, Citron; Does the same procedure apply to an 05 C230? The light/lamp went out the other day and I can't figure out how to replace it. Thanks a lot. Jimmy M.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Yes same for all W203's
Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 AM

2005 C230
Replacing Turn Signal Lamp on Driver's Side Mirror - 2005 C230

Thanks for your reply, samaritrey. For the information of others, I found the following posting from another forum, which has photos, and I was able to take the housing off and spray the electrical connections with DeoxIT D5 cleaner (available at Best Buy), slip the cover back on, and got the turn signal working again, all within 20 minutes, and I used a larger 2" aluminum tube to prop the mirror open:

Here are some easy steps to remove your mirror housing. To add chrome, change the LED signal, and moddify your light pipe if you want...This seems like and easy job and it is...

1. grind a small # 1 phillips screw driver to develop a small flat at the nose

2. cut a small section of .25 - .375 tube into a two (2") inch section

3. bend mirror housing back toward the rear of the car, insert the small section of tube onto the nipples / tabs located in the mirror frame and mirror hinge

4. insert a long flat blade screw driver from the front end of teh vehicle into the mirror housing. locate a molded in key way to a small .75 inch vertical metal tab. move that tab outboard from the vehicle and gently begin to slide mirror housing back. to not bend the spring clip - that is the retainer for the mirror housing unit.

5. remove the old, stock, etc. LED case with the ground phillips screw driver - or do what ever it is you have to do...

6. make sure the clip will retain the housing, it should be self loading and ready.

7. reinstall!

and some pictures...

4. insert a long flat blade screw driver from the front end of teh vehicle into the mirror housing. locate a molded in key way to a small .75 inch vertical metal tab. move that tab INBOARD TOWARDS THE vehicle and gently begin to slide mirror housing back. to not bend the spring clip - that is the retainer for the mirror housing unit.

5. remove the old, stock, etc. LED case with the ground phillips screw driver (OR USE A POZIDRIV BIT IF YOU HAVE ONE) - or do what ever it is you have to do...
Attached Images
16_1854203_46200683809PM.jpg (37.1 KB, 1264 views)
16_1854203_46200683817PM.jpg (49.8 KB, 969 views)
16_1854203_46200683822PM.jpg (29.9 KB, 967 views)
16_1854203_46200683828PM.jpg (33.1 KB, 952 views)
16_1854203_46200683834PM.jpg (35.6 KB, 959 views)
Old 09-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Also see stickies.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...remove+mirrors