C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Anyone install an aftermarket tach?

Old 06-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Anyone install an aftermarket tach?

Getting my thoughts together on my headliner install, and one thing I'm thinking about is gauges for the a pillar. I've got a boost gauge already, and am thinking about getting one of Autometer's new tachs that's in a normal gauge size and would install on the a pillar as well. Hate the teeny size in the stock cluster, and especially the location, which is awful for those of us who drive manuals - have to peek around my left arm to see what rpms I'm at. So, figured this would be the most appropriate solution, and it's got a shiftlight that I can set to smurfy blue - what's not to like?

Has anyone either done an install themselves or had a shop do it? I'm just not sure if it's possible in our cars, as far as picking up the rpm signal to the cluster and splicing in on it, and the gauge being able to work with that signal.

TIA for any possible help.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C240 6 Speed
it's easy on most cars... probably not so much on a mercedes.

all you have to do is find the signal wire for the tach (usually easily found by the ECU/ECM) and splice into that, run a power and ground wire, set the tach for four cylinders and you're set. not sure if theres a big write up on this site with the ecu pinouts like i've seen on other forums, but that would be most useful. I've done this on newer japanese cars before, but the germans never do anything normally lol.

post back up in this thread though with what you figure out, I am kind of curious as to how it works out.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Replica
I've done this on newer japanese cars before, but the germans never do anything normally lol.
Ain't that the truth! Was a piece of cake on my crx - I guess I should stick to pre-obd cars.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
This sounds like something sunman could help you cure w/ some sort of oem cluster? Maybe an updated cluster? they have big ol tachs..
Old 06-15-2007, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
hey tommy, I think terry installed it, and pshek too??

but I DO remember that someone had put a "toyota tacoma" pillar pod as the A piller and it works great, and fitment is great as well!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

OK, since everyone's been dying for updates , I got this email from someone at Autometer yesterday:

Tom,

The Level 1 gauge is a single color LED. The color depends on the
series. Cobalt has a blue shift light, C2 has a blue light, Ultra-Lite
has amber, etc. Yes, you are correct. You must have the Level 2 or 3 to
have the multi-color LED that will give you up to 7 color selections
for
the shift light.

The only C230 we've had experience with is a 2003 and here is the info
for we have for tach/DPSS installation:

for 1.8 engine(s)
You will need a #9117 tachometer adapter. Due to how the engine
management is wired, you will have to cut the red wire with a blue
stripe at each individual ignition coil. You will hook all four cut
ends
together on the harness side and then wire those to the solid red of
the
adapter. You will then hook all the cut ends together on the coils side
and wire them to the red/green of the adapter. The adapter will provide
a useable tachometer signal.

I was surprised to get such a technical answer that got to all of my questions from merely a random submission on their website. Pretty cool.

So, obviously it's doable (assuming the M111 is similar in wiring). I've got a boost gauge, D-PIC on the way (similar to G-Tech Pro, but in gauge form), and will order this tach as well. The part# listed above (adaptor for distributorless ignitions) is on the bay for $75. Also have the cups (for the backs of the gauges) already powdercoated a certain color as well. So should have everything mounted on the a pillar by the end of the month, and wired soon after. Guess I won't be able to post info on MBKlasse this time or update my mods thread. Oy!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by tommy
OK, since everyone's been dying for updates , I got this email from someone at Autometer yesterday:

Tom,

The Level 1 gauge is a single color LED. The color depends on the
series. Cobalt has a blue shift light, C2 has a blue light, Ultra-Lite
has amber, etc. Yes, you are correct. You must have the Level 2 or 3 to
have the multi-color LED that will give you up to 7 color selections
for
the shift light.

The only C230 we've had experience with is a 2003 and here is the info
for we have for tach/DPSS installation:

for 1.8 engine(s)
You will need a #9117 tachometer adapter. Due to how the engine
management is wired, you will have to cut the red wire with a blue
stripe at each individual ignition coil. You will hook all four cut
ends
together on the harness side and then wire those to the solid red of
the
adapter. You will then hook all the cut ends together on the coils side
and wire them to the red/green of the adapter. The adapter will provide
a useable tachometer signal.

I was surprised to get such a technical answer that got to all of my questions from merely a random submission on their website. Pretty cool.

So, obviously it's doable (assuming the M111 is similar in wiring). I've got a boost gauge, D-PIC on the way (similar to G-Tech Pro, but in gauge form), and will order this tach as well. The part# listed above (adaptor for distributorless ignitions) is on the bay for $75. Also have the cups (for the backs of the gauges) already powdercoated a certain color as well. So should have everything mounted on the a pillar by the end of the month, and wired soon after. Guess I won't be able to post info on MBKlasse this time or update my mods thread. Oy!
OMG! Thanks,tommy! It's so refreshing to have some tech talk in here again!

At some point, I really should install a boost guage. Not sure if I'll do a new Tach, but it's something to consider for the future.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by drexappeal
At some point, I really should install a boost guage. Not sure if I'll do a new Tach, but it's something to consider for the future.
You really should - you've got too many mods done to not directly know what's going on with your boost.

Don't forget to pick up a fake BOV as well. Gotta get the WOOSH!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by tommy
You really should - you've got too many mods done to not directly know what's going on with your boost.

Don't forget to pick up a fake BOV as well. Gotta get the WOOSH!
Yup. I'm definitely gonna get the boost guage on there once the car has been completely finished (it's still not done).

Hahaha...Dude, I think you missed it, but there was someone who actually started a thread about that fake BOV on here. I'll try to search through the archives to find it, but I couldn't believe it.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Double Stuff" SOLD | Nor*Cals "Pesky Audi"
yeah i remember. was some ebay listing for either an electric bov or something that connects to your exhaust. either way.... LAME lol