C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Fuel Gauge Not Working

Old 11-09-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240
Fuel Gauge Not Working

I have a 2002 C240 and just yesterday the fuel guage went on stike.

It was running near E with the light on and I stopped and fueled up. I really didn't pay any attention to it, but later on in the day I was going somewhere and looked to see how much I had left and the guage was down at the bottom. The light is not on.

However, when I go to start the car, I see the light turn on as it goes through its checks, but the needle does not rise once the car is started and the light turns off.

I tried having my friend push down on the rear of the car a bunch of times and nada; still there like a rock.

Anyone, have any idea what might be going on and how to fix????

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

BTW: I did search for this previously to posting, but found no answers.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 KOMPRESSOR (2003)
I have been suffereing with this problem for over a year now but in that time I have found out the causes and fixes of this problem.
I freaking went to the stealership for this issue when my car was under warranty and they changed whol bunch of stuff to fix it but it didnot help. This is a totally random problem it appears and would last for a few days and then dissappear automatically. What I have found out is when you drive your car always with very less gas in the tank , i mean if you always put in half a tank or a quarter and refill the same when you are about to run out , it happens way too often.....so if you are always running short on gas you are most likely to hit with this problem. Instead what you shud do is to always fill up tha tank to the capacity. This fixed the problem for me. I wudnot suggest you to go to the dealer for this if you are NOT under warranty. Trying doing this , it shud help. At times when I would be out of fuel and the gauge wud be dead , i wud fill up the tank to the capacity and then start the car and it wud be fixed. What an irony.....u most need the gauge when u r short on fuel and its only then it dies on ya, when you are full its good. So make sure you fill up the gas before it goes to the reserve and always go over half of the tank of gas ATLEAST at every fil up.

Hope this helps and let me know.
The following users liked this post:
janzee (05-07-2017)
Old 11-09-2007, 03:57 PM

2002 C240
Hey Rage, thanks for the help.

I will try it as soon as i leave the office this afternoon and hopefully you're right.

I recalled, it occurred a few months ago briefly. I was running low and pulled into a gas station and put in about 3/4 of a tank. The indicator remained at the bottom for a minute or so, but as soon as I pulled away it righted itself.

I knew i was in a hurry yesterday and put in like $15 bucks which means NADA here in Miami where super is $3.47.

thanks again
Old 11-10-2007, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 KOMPRESSOR (2003)
There ya go buddy...now you see it has to do with the low gas in the tank, try doin what i suggested for a month or so (i.e always fill up to the capacity and refill before the 1/8 of the tank) you shud be fine after that.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:28 AM

1999 C43
I am having the same problem. However, I always fill my tank to the top. This last time I got gas I over filled. I think I was at $48 and wanted to make it a smoothe $50. You think that would have caused the same issue? I'm at a full tank now and probably drove around 30 miles yesterday with the gauge showing empty.

This morning before signing on here and debating over going to my Merc Mechanic; its back to normal. I'll check again at lunch.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Almost a Member!

c240
I am also having this problem right now....so I 'll try to fill it up full tank..and see what happens...
Old 12-11-2007, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
Originally Posted by Taiko
I knew i was in a hurry yesterday and put in like $15 bucks which means NADA here in Miami where super is $3.47.

If it means anything even at $3.47 you are enjoying some of the cheapest gas in the world, here in Toronto I am paying an equivalent of $4.27 per US Gallon ($1.13/litre x 3.78litres to the US gallon). If you go to Europe (UK and Germany) they are paying about $2 per litre or $7.56 a US gallon.

Count ourselves lucky!
Old 12-12-2007, 03:37 AM

'02 CL203 M111
Originally Posted by Boom vang
If it means anything even at $3.47 you are enjoying some of the cheapest gas in the world, here in Toronto I am paying an equivalent of $4.27 per US Gallon ($1.13/litre x 3.78litres to the US gallon). If you go to Europe (UK and Germany) they are paying about $2 per litre or $7.56 a US gallon.

Count ourselves lucky!
you are right, 2years ago in Europe, I used my parents' Renault Laguna, and every visit at the gas station I ended up with 70 to 75 Euros for 60liter about 15 us gallons(full tank). that's why the majority is opting for diesel.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:25 PM

C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by ammar_rage
I have been suffereing with this problem for over a year now but in that time I have found out the causes and fixes of this problem.
I freaking went to the stealership for this issue when my car was under warranty and they changed whol bunch of stuff to fix it but it didnot help. This is a totally random problem it appears and would last for a few days and then dissappear automatically. What I have found out is when you drive your car always with very less gas in the tank , i mean if you always put in half a tank or a quarter and refill the same when you are about to run out , it happens way too often.....so if you are always running short on gas you are most likely to hit with this problem. Instead what you shud do is to always fill up tha tank to the capacity. This fixed the problem for me. I wudnot suggest you to go to the dealer for this if you are NOT under warranty. Trying doing this , it shud help. At times when I would be out of fuel and the gauge wud be dead , i wud fill up the tank to the capacity and then start the car and it wud be fixed. What an irony.....u most need the gauge when u r short on fuel and its only then it dies on ya, when you are full its good. So make sure you fill up the gas before it goes to the reserve and always go over half of the tank of gas ATLEAST at every fil up.

Hope this helps and let me know.
I concur with the above description. I own a 2003 C230 Coupe and after a couple of weeks of putting in $10 at a station I noticed the same exact symptoms. I read your remedy and tried it. Viola! Solved. Thx!
Old 03-21-2019, 01:30 PM

ML500
I have a ml500 and the gas Gage is not moving. I have gas but it read i am on empty. Is there a fuse I need to change? if so which fuse box is it? I looked at the fuse box in the trunk but the chart said nothing about the gas or fuel fuse.