C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

TruTaing's Stock W203 thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by TruTaing
I woulda posted pictures of the brakes, but I ran into a bigger issue. I dunno if I feel lucky to be in one piece or what.

After I installed the ss brake line on my rear passenger side, I went over to the rear driver side to remove the wheel. I found, one lug to be completely missing. One lug that was soo lose that when i removed it, it broke in half and fell off when I removed the wheel. While another lug bolt was BARELY held together. The lug that seemed to be missing had completely broken in half and only part of the threads remained while the upper part w/ the seat was completely gone.

Meaning. My wheel was honestly held on by TWO lug bolts.

WTF. I have not removed this wheel in a long, long time which means one of two things: Someone loosened my lugs (tried to steal my VERY STOCK LOOKING wheels) or the lugs flat out broke. I have NEVER seen a lug bolt that broke unless it was thoroughly rusted onto the wheel hub and over torqued during removal.

I got my lugs from RADUSA direct (I believe they are a sponsor or once were). Not sure how I should proceed - already left a voice mail w/ phil at radusadirect.

Current mood: Happy to be alive, but disappointed w/ my car up on jack stands.
Hi Tru, sorry to hear about your misfortune. Presume you have checked all wheel bolts on all wheels?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Those are 3 of the 5 bolts that were "holding" my wheel on the hub…
Whoa! That’s crazy. Thankful you’re okay.

…IMS parts from Mercedes Garage and those should be arriving within the next couple of weeks. Total was under 270, but I hear its a bit laborious to install. Involving dropping/cutting portions of the headliner to run a wire from the front dome to the rear dome light area and of course some star diag work. My writeup to come shortly after. Anyone have some pics of IMS DIYs?
Nice. I’ve seen MJ50’s in action; it’s very cool.

Saprissa has done it in his Coupe, too. Suspect the procedure is similar:

https://mbworld.org/forums/1188418-post.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/1188434-post.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/1188441-post.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/1188458-post.html
Old 09-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Wow,

Thanks for the links splinter. I didn't imagine that there would be drilling involved. I knew the headliner would have to come down, but drilling is gonna make this a fun lil mod?! Oh, this will be interesting The star diag work is what im really worried about. :x

Glyn M Ruck: I have checked all of my other bolts. They were good Still happy to be alive and looking forward to yet another interesting install.

Anyone know anything about the dealers selling a kit that fixes broken mounting tabs on headlights? I found a set of BIX locally that seems to be very well priced, but one of the tabs is broken. I will be viewing them tomorrow and any advice about what exactly to look for would be great!

edit: woot, i broke to pages
Old 09-13-2008, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
not sure how the Interior Motion Sensor (IMS) is going to keep someone from steeling your wheels, unless you take them off when you park and put them inside your car, and then leave the windows open.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Moderator Alumni

w203 m112
Originally Posted by Saprissa
not sure how the Interior Motion Sensor (IMS) is going to keep someone from steeling your wheels, unless you take them off when you park and put them inside your car, and then leave the windows open.
Just for overall extra protection. Wheel locks are coming + IMS to help against other situations. Pix were excellent - i just wish i didnt have to log in like 4 times to see the pix
Old 09-13-2008, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
i have to do that too, just to see my own pics.
The ironic thing is that they are all on the MBWorld server, that the moderators swear up and down should be cross-connected.
Well, obviously that's not the case, because other people can't see them either.
Anyway... it's been years that I've been telling them that their servers are messed up, but they don't listen.

At least I'm glad you got to see the pics of the IMS install.
It was a b!tCh. And it was done by a qualified fully certified MB Tech.

Steve (MBenzNL) installed it on MJ50's car, but he will tell you that it was not fun !
Old 09-13-2008, 05:10 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
if only one tab is broken it shouldn't affect how the headlights mount. IMO if that set of bix is cheap definitely do it
Old 09-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Moderator Alumni

w203 m112
Originally Posted by FrankW
if only one tab is broken it shouldn't affect how the headlights mount. IMO if that set of bix is cheap definitely do it
I hope you're experience w/ this is correct because I just bought them :x I plugged them into my car temporarily and they lit up w/o any issues

One lamp light has the tab near where the bumper meets the fender is broken.

Apparently I can set these up to auto level also. Is this a feature that is on all bix? What does it take to get the auto leveling to work? Im just on a roll, dumping $$ into the car now.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:08 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
I hope you're experience w/ this is correct because I just bought them :x I plugged them into my car temporarily and they lit up w/o any issues

One lamp light has the tab near where the bumper meets the fender is broken.

Apparently I can set these up to auto level also. Is this a feature that is on all bix? What does it take to get the auto leveling to work? Im just on a roll, dumping $$ into the car now.
you should be fine with that tab broken. the light has two screws on the top and one on the bottom. one of the top one missing should be fine. just don't miss the bottom one.

just set to xenon present if you haven't done it, but you can't set the auto level unless you have the oem xenon which has an extra leveling sensor that's attached to the front sway bar coming out from the passenger side. it's like a little arm that hooks to the sway bar. retro fitting the leveling sensor looks pretty pain in the butt to me.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

you should be fine with that tab broken. the light has two screws on the top and one on the bottom. one of the top one missing should be fine. just don't miss the bottom one.

just set to xenon present if you haven't done it, but you can't set the auto level unless you have the oem xenon which has an extra leveling sensor that's attached to the front sway bar coming out from the passenger side. it's like a little arm that hooks to the sway bar. retro fitting the leveling sensor looks pretty pain in the butt to me.
You have front & rear leveling sensors to fit. Each works like a stepper motor in reverse with an arm attached at each end of the car to give axle to body attitude - agree with Frank. A pain to retrofit but you won't blind people loaded.

Drivers side in my part of the world

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 09-15-2008 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:38 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
You have front & rear leveling sensors to fit. Each works like a stepper motor in reverse with an arm attached at each end of the car to give axle to body attitude - agree with Frank. A pain to retrofit but you won't blind people loaded.

Drivers side in my part of the world
didn't notice there's a rear sensor when I replaced my sway bars.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Hey

If you haven't taken it to firestone yet,don't.The new big les schwabs and some of the older big schwab shops like the one up in Mill Creek,where you came for the spark plug tutorial now have the most advanced Hunter alignment machine.Plus they have access to front eccentrics and rear camber bushings.Takes your loaded ride height into account and computes the extra neg camber that is killing the rear tires.Street you shoot for about -.5degrees with your current drop I bet you are pushing -2.5.
Rotors $65 front ea. $40 ea. rear www.autohausaz.com
K-mac units can be rebuilt with factory bushings.Camber links from speedybenz or lensolo might give a little more adjustment.
ohlord
Really John if firestone does not have the latest hunter machine and the training to use it properly with the correct bars etc. it does not matter if it is a 2 lifetime warranty alignment is only needed if you drop the car,rebuild the suspension,or break something.It is not a service required every year.

whoever installed the rims probably torqued them over 80 ft. lbs. and snapped them.Are they the proper length and seat design ?

pictures ?use google chrome new browser faster than firefox and just browse and manage attachments to post and view your pictures.
Attached Thumbnails TruTaing's Stock W203 thread-bmw-017c.jpg  

Last edited by ohlord; 09-15-2008 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:24 AM
Moderator Alumni

w203 m112
Originally Posted by ohlord
If you haven't taken it to firestone yet,don't.The new big les schwabs and some of the older big schwab shops like the one up in Mill Creek,where you came for the spark plug tutorial now have the most advanced Hunter alignment machine.Plus they have access to front eccentrics and rear camber bushings.Takes your loaded ride height into account and computes the extra neg camber that is killing the rear tires.Street you shoot for about -.5degrees with your current drop I bet you are pushing -2.5.
At this rate, I dont think I'm ever gonna make a change on my car w/o talking to you first, hahah. Ya seem to got all the local bases covered thoroughly.

Rotors $65 front ea. $40 ea. rear www.autohausaz.com
K-mac units can be rebuilt with factory bushings.Camber links from speedybenz or lensolo might give a little more adjustment.
ohlord
I didnt see any posted for the front? at autohausaz - I checked there first though I got some PMs and chatted w/ some car folks about the camber arms vs camber kits. I got the impression that camber arms were just easier to adjust and install. It would be nice if there was a complete set of polyurethane bushings for all of our suspension. I would like to do that kinda swap or update all of my bushings... Then again, I dunno if people have had issues w/ their bushings after 100k. I just imagine terrible things and insist upon changing things out soon because I will break the 100k mark w/in the next few months.

Really John if firestone does not have the latest hunter machine and the training to use it properly with the correct bars etc. it does not matter if it is a 2 lifetime warranty alignment is only needed if you drop the car,rebuild the suspension,or break something.It is not a service required every year.
I just keep messing w/ my suspension so much, raising it/lowering it for different times of the year and just constantly taking it apart that I thought a lifetime alignment deal would be great...

whoever installed the rims probably torqued them over 80 ft. lbs. and snapped them.Are they the proper length and seat design ?
Ah... I put the rims on myself a long while ago. I am pretty darn sure I did not over torque it. I get the impression that if ya over torque any bolts, you'll know on the spot and that is definitely not something that crossed my mind. They are the proper length for my wheels to fit my hub. I measured everything out myself and compared w/ the stock lugs to see how far they went into the hub. Either way, RADUSADirect has been awesome w/ my situation and I will be back on the road in no time.

Frank: Later this week when I get the lugs, I will put my car back on the ground and use the jacks to get the front bumper off and install the new lights. Im contemplating switching to the ebay projector fogs to match, but I wish I saw some light patterns from people who have them.

On a random note: I'm slowly dismantling my car so often that its all becoming very quick/painless (mindless) - brakes, suspension, general maint., all are much easier than I would have ever imagined a few years ago (mindlessly smashing my fingers more and more though, ) . IMS will be my first venture into the interior of the car!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:59 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
hahah...yea, i said it was just rims in 04 and look where i ended up.

I wouldn't get those projector fogs btw. concentrated beam makes it harder to illuminate when actual fogs set in.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:07 AM
Moderator Alumni

w203 m112
hahah...yea, i said it was just rims in 04 and look where i ended up.

I wouldn't get those projector fogs btw. concentrated beam makes it harder to illuminate when actual fogs set in.
lol. Well... look where you're influence is taking me now... lol :P

I was thinkin project fogs + HID kit (some very yellowish) - I imagine w/ the bix in, the halogen fogs wont make much of an impact, but dont wanna go the HID kit path on the non projectors. I dunno? Suggestions? :P
Old 09-15-2008, 03:20 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
lol. Well... look where you're influence is taking me now... lol :P

I was thinkin project fogs + HID kit (some very yellowish) - I imagine w/ the bix in, the halogen fogs wont make much of an impact, but dont wanna go the HID kit path on the non projectors. I dunno? Suggestions? :P
well, the projector looks cool during the night, but during the day I think without the bumper like the Rieger which designed with projector fogs in mind they look out of place.

try check out those yellow halogen bulbs if you don't want to put the HID kit on the non projectors. I think that's the way I would go with.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

didn't notice there's a rear sensor when I replaced my sway bars.
Yep!, sensors on both back & front sway bars. And I see my car has a yaw sensor as well. I don't know where that is mounted. I do not understand how the system can self level without the back squat sensor. I'll take a pic the next time I'm inclined to crawl under my car. I had them re-centre my sensors on the STAR at my last service because they knocked them out of whack when they replaced my still OK camber bushes/bearings under the warrantee before it expires. South African cars are full Euro spec and in Europe BiX are outlawed without the full array of sensors to ensure you don't blind oncoming motorists.

Some cars in the US are certainly fitted with at least back and front sensors. I see Sunil refers to them on his C320 on the other forum.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Moderator Alumni

w203 m112
well, the projector looks cool during the night, but during the day I think without the bumper like the Rieger which designed with projector fogs in mind they look out of place.

try check out those yellow halogen bulbs if you don't want to put the HID kit on the non projectors. I think that's the way I would go with.
Maybe Ill just snag and yellowish HID kit for the 9006's and call it a day.

Thanks frank / ruck. Seems like the auto leveling thing will have to wait :x
Old 09-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Good Luck - you're doing lots anyway!!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:14 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Yep!, sensors on both back & front sway bars. And I see my car has a yaw sensor as well. I don't know where that is mounted. I do not understand how the system can self level without the back squat sensor. I'll take a pic the next time I'm inclined to crawl under my car. I had them re-centre my sensors on the STAR at my last service because they knocked them out of whack when they replaced my still OK camber bushes/bearings under the warrantee before it expires. South African cars are full Euro spec and in Europe BiX are outlawed without the full array of sensors to ensure you don't blind oncoming motorists.

Some cars in the US are certainly fitted with at least back and front sensors. I see Sunil refers to them on his C320 on the other forum.
I'll check it out when I get the 32 back from service.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:44 AM
Moderator Alumni

w203 m112
Bix + C32 Brakes + SS Lines Complete

I finally was able to sort out all of my issues w /the lugs and got a chance to take the car to work in the morning + get xenon set to present + phone to not present so I dont have to always skip that "no phone" menu.

Initially, I drove for a day w/o the rear ss brake lines and the brakes didnt feel too different except that I was stopping significantly earlier. After the rear SS lines were installed there is a HUGE difference in brake pedal feel. The moment I touch the brakes, I can immediately feel how brakes are responding to the pressure - this is very different from stock brake lines that give more "play" in the amount of pressure you apply. SS brake lines seem to be delivering the same consistent braking w/ the exact same pressure each and every time. I would highly suggest this on any car!

I couldn't drive around last night when I had initially finished installing the bix because I didn't have xenon set to present, so I wasnt really able to gauge how bright they were. I drove around ALOT tonight because these things make night time driving SO much more enjoyable. Its incredible - now I understand why they are so ridiculously expensive. Once again, highly recommended: (buy them used)

And some pix:
Brakes:

Bix:

Both:

Also shot my friend's CBR 600RR:

Things in the pipe to come:
K1MS adjustable rear camber arms
IMS + harness + bracket - should be arriving within the next two weeks

I think I should cool down for a bit on the modding thing... Kinda goin broke.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bi-X and C32 AMG brakes...
two of my all-time favorite OEM upgrades !
Great job ! Looks awesome !

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 09-17-2008, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Saprissa
Bi-X and C32 AMG brakes...
two of my all-time favorite OEM upgrades !
Great job ! Looks awesome !

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Tru - you know I've always loved your car with the CLS wheels from previous PMs but the BiX's just finish off the good looks - It looks great !!!! I'm pleased you like the way they work. I would not be without mine.

I'm green with envy at your brakes. They look good peeping through the rims but pleased to know they work like you wanted. Sounds like, for a person like me that is unlikely to update calipers & rotors, that the brake line replacement is worth it on it's own?

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 09-17-2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Something Slow
ahh Stepping Up.... Looking Sweet!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Moderator Alumni

w203 m112
I'm green with envy at your brakes. They look good peeping through the rims but pleased to know they work like you wanted. Sounds like, for a person like me that is unlikely to update calipers & rotors, that the brake line replacement is worth it on it's own?
Take your time finding the brakes - I'm sure you can get a good deal in the classifieds - I know I missed a few opportunities before I got this set, but those c32 guys are suddenly finding themselves neck deep in power mods. This just means they're gonna have to upgrade their brakes unless they're crazy :P More toys for the other w203s

I think SS brake lines would be a great addition to any car's braking system - its the consistent response from the brakes w/ the same exact pedal pressure that is well worth it. It'll also give ya a chance to bleed out some old fluid and they should directly fit on the c32 brakes when you do upgrade. If I'm not mistaken, they should even be a perfect fit on the 6 piston front and 4 piston rears of the 030 upgrades.

I get the impression that all Mercedes brake lines have the same heads / threads to attach to the caliper and the rest of the braking, while only the length of the lines is what varies from car to car. Maybe someone can chime in on this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: TruTaing's Stock W203 thread