Automatic headlight sensor always on - MBWorld.org Forums

Log In 


C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Automatic headlight sensor always on

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
Old 11-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Automatic headlight sensor always on

I have my headlights set to automatic, and I noticed ever since I got my windshield replaced (yes with the rain sensor compatible), my headlights always stay on. Sure, I could manually switch them off but I'd like the installer to be responsible to fix it if he caused the problem. Do you guys think the windshield replacement is related to my problem?
vectorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Super Member
 
Cintoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cumberland, RI U.S.A.
Posts: 532
Drives: 2005 C230WZ SS Capri Blue/Ash
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi vectorz,

From what I understand, the light sensor is not on the windshield, but rather in between the hood vents at the top of the hood. It's a rounded black plastic piece between the windshield washer nozzles. I highlighted it in the attached picture. Maybe when they replaced the windshield they may have hit or damaged this sensor.

I'd try cleaning it first just to be sure it's not dirty.
Attached Thumbnails
Automatic headlight sensor always on-light-sensor.jpg  
Cintoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll investigate further before I blame them
vectorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
Super Member
 
dbvolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: FL - LA - Berlin
Posts: 537
Drives: The Benz is gone...
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried turning the constant function off in your dash menu? The guy might have accidentally tripped it or something...?
dbvolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
acr2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,078
Drives: 2012 C300 4Matic
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mean no disrespect, but Cintoman is absolutely 100% wrong. The sensor he is referring to is a sun position sensor for the climate control unit. On vehicles with the lower end climate control system it is simply a black cover that serves no purpose. The light sensor is indeed mounted on the windshield behind the rear view mirror (the rain sensor is in this same area).

I wish the misinformation on these forums would stop.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cintoman View Post
Hi vectorz,

From what I understand, the light sensor is not on the windshield, but rather in between the hood vents at the top of the hood. It's a rounded black plastic piece between the windshield washer nozzles. I highlighted it in the attached picture. Maybe when they replaced the windshield they may have hit or damaged this sensor.

I'd try cleaning it first just to be sure it's not dirty.
acr2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 309
Drives: Black 04 C230 Kompressor SS
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also check the Daytime Running Light option on the computer. It might jst need to be reset to fully automatic.
Arn560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,214
Drives: W203 slightly modified
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorz View Post
I have my headlights set to automatic, and I noticed ever since I got my windshield replaced (yes with the rain sensor compatible), my headlights always stay on. Sure, I could manually switch them off but I'd like the installer to be responsible to fix it if he caused the problem. Do you guys think the windshield replacement is related to my problem?
The people who replaced the glass did not attach the wire to the light sensor again. You will probably find that your rain sensor does not work either.

Remove the black plastic cover in the middle of the screen and see if anything looks wrong.
benzmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NJ, NYC
Posts: 3,882
Drives: Something Slow
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
since everyone one is talking about rain sensor and Running lights i have a questions for people with a 2005 C Class and up.... is it true in order for the Locator Lights to work you must leave the Headlamp switch in Auto Position? and Turn on in Cluster menu? True or False?

i have a 2001 C320 and once the locator option is turn on in the Cluster Menu it works without turn the switch to AUTO. but ever since i upgraded to the 05+ Front SAM the only way the Locator lights work is with the Cluster menu on and the Swicth turned to Auto!...
WaveyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #9
Super Member
 
dbvolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: FL - LA - Berlin
Posts: 537
Drives: The Benz is gone...
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyKat View Post
since everyone one is talking about rain sensor and Running lights i have a questions for people with a 2005 C Class and up.... is it true in order for the Locator Lights to work you must leave the Headlamp switch in Auto Position? and Turn on in Cluster menu? True or False?

i have a 2001 C320 and once the locator option is turn on in the Cluster Menu it works without turn the switch to AUTO. but ever since i upgraded to the 05+ Front SAM the only way the Locator lights work is with the Cluster menu on and the Swicth turned to Auto!...
Correct. If the switch isn't turned to auto, then the fog lights won't light up for the "locator" function. (which makes it even weirder that you can't have the fogs come on automatically with the headlights )
dbvolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:26 AM   #10
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys, thanks for the heads up. I double checked the panel connected to the rear view mirror and everything looks connected properly. Can a bad glass panel cause this?
vectorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
Drives: 2005 Obsidian Black C180 Kompressor - Elegance with Sports Pack
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=dbvolz;3158413]Have you tried turning the constant function off in your dash menu?QUOTE]

Did you check this?
DRAD-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XPEL Headlight Protectors: Installation Difficulty? EuroDriverSD C-Class (W203) 2 09-14-2015 09:15 AM
Xenon headlight leveler sensor ajp3 SL-Class (R129) 0 09-09-2015 09:11 PM
Automatic headlight sensor and squeaky front end Captincvmn GL Class (X164) 1 09-08-2015 11:04 PM
3rd light, ABS/BAS/ESP light comes on after headlights are turned on angela12hickman E-Class (W210) 3 09-07-2015 09:55 PM
FS: 2005 E320 4matic Estate marc hanna Mercedes Vehicles 0 09-02-2015 08:16 AM


Tags
203, auto, automatic, headlight, headlights, jersey, light, lights, mercedes, problem, rain, replace, sensor, sensorautomatic, windshield


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.