C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Reduce engine oil level-how critical?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240
Reduce engine oil level-how critical?

I'm wondering how critical this "red" warning is, seriously..I changed my oil, put in 7.5 qts and drove around. I received the "add angine oil" warning, so I put in my last .5 qt. Got the "reduce oil" warning afterward. Howdo I get into the screen where it tells me my oil capacity and is this something I should worry about, or just let it "fix itself" on it's own (aka burn a little oil)?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Originally Posted by RedNeckBenz
I'm wondering how critical this "red" warning is, seriously..I changed my oil, put in 7.5 qts and drove around. I received the "add angine oil" warning, so I put in my last .5 qt. Got the "reduce oil" warning afterward. Howdo I get into the screen where it tells me my oil capacity and is this something I should worry about, or just let it "fix itself" on it's own (aka burn a little oil)?
This is odd. Why did it first tell you to add engine oil then to remove it?
According to your owner's manual there are several possible warnings.

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA..._c240_c320.pdf

Which low oil warning was it exactly? Did you do an engine oil level check before you added the oil?
But to answer your question, yes too much oil is bad. The crankshaft can splash into the oil and cause foaming and too much oil to get onto the cylinder walls that the oil scraper rings cannot handle. You can damage cat con and other stuff.
Remove some oil!
Old 11-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
If the car said it needed a quart of oil and you added .5q and it said reduce I would get a real dipstick because your sensor could be messed up. You need to get into dyno mode search on here for instructions for older w203's. First push in reset knob on IC then You put key in and turn one to acc power while still holding the reset knob for about 30 seconds until you hear the beep. Then you release the knob and push the lower menu button (not the arrow) on the steering wheel. Then you can turn the key one more and get the oil level. Make sure the car is level and been off for at least an hour but I would wait a few just to be sure.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240
Wow, great info thanks!..crazy how much stuff is stored in that little computer. So it says 8.3 quarts. If .3 quart truly is a big deal, I guess I'll try to drain some without losing too much of the $9/qt liquid gold I put in