C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Dealer won't do it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Dealer won't do it

Trying to get the dealer to delete the "no phone" message and also to set the Comand system as present, but the service guys at my dealer are refusing to do it without charge.

How do you guys get it done free? Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by oggle; 01-18-2003 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
True, the procedure itself only takes a few minutes, but that's not including everything else. First, you talk to the service advisor, tell him what you want done, he writes up a ticket, the valet parks the car. The service advisor brings the ticket to the dispatcher, the dispatcher logs the car in under "Work in progress", gives the ticket to the technician. The technician gets the key, finds the car in the lot (major pain), brings the car into his area, looks for an idle computer, hooks the computer up, "performs the procedure", puts the car in the car wash line. Tech fills out the paperwork while car is being washed, valets bring the car to the pick-up area. Tech turns paperwork into the dispatcher, dispatcher signs off on the repair, brings the ticket to the flagger. Flagger logs in the labor time so tech will get paid for doing the work on the car. Ticket then goes to cashier where customer pays for work.

This entire process does take about an hour, you're not getting ripped off.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
I'm getting a malfunctioning gas tank fixed, and I've also told them not to wash my car. So the only difference is hooking it up to the computer and doing the stardiagnostic.

Yes they have every right to charge me. Just wondering how others have gotten it done without charge.

Last edited by oggle; 01-18-2003 at 02:15 AM.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:53 AM

2002 C320
Don't go to service adviser, go to ur sells and ask then to ask for u, When i ask for the service adviser he told me he can do it when I am haveing my service A or theres going to be a charge.. but then I talk to my sells and he got someone to push the computer car over and hook up.. wa la! done.. !
Old 01-18-2003, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I got mine afterwards. I had mentioned it during delivery but service didn't know how. Downloaded instructions from here, emailed them to the service advisor and stopped in on my way from work. 20 minutes later after some free refreshments and a free car wash quickie I'm on my way.

I guess some will do whereas others won't. Wasn't their a thread that pointed to who would. Too lazy to STFF.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:10 AM
Bos

2002 C230K
I have to say that's bullsh*t...

No offence to mbtech208, and thanks for all your help in the past and future.

Get to know the shop foreman for your dealership and shoot the sh*t with him or her... build that relationship...

Put doughnuts in your car when you drop it off, and let the service advisor know it's for the "guys in the back"...

Always give great "marks" when it comes to the customer satisfaction survey... All actual issues should be discussed personaly with the Shop Foreman, and let him or her know your stance on ratings... (call in those favors)

You have to play the game with the "Service Advisor" too, so include them in a minimal fashion to keep that "relationship" going...

These folks are human too... a little goes a long way, and you'll find yourself getting away with a lot more than the average customer...

Trust me... 10 bucks in doughnuts goes a long way...
Old 01-18-2003, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by Blueice
Don't go to service adviser, go to ur sells and ask then to ask for u, When i ask for the service adviser he told me he can do it when I am haveing my service A or theres going to be a charge.. but then I talk to my sells and he got someone to push the computer car over and hook up.. wa la! done.. !
Gotta try that one. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by Bos
I have to say that's bullsh*t...

No offence to mbtech208, and thanks for all your help in the past and future.

Get to know the shop foreman for your dealership and shoot the sh*t with him or her... build that relationship...

Put doughnuts in your car when you drop it off, and let the service advisor know it's for the "guys in the back"...

Always give great "marks" when it comes to the customer satisfaction survey... All actual issues should be discussed personaly with the Shop Foreman, and let him or her know your stance on ratings... (call in those favors)

You have to play the game with the "Service Advisor" too, so include them in a minimal fashion to keep that "relationship" going...

These folks are human too... a little goes a long way, and you'll find yourself getting away with a lot more than the average customer...

Trust me... 10 bucks in doughnuts goes a long way...
Donuts yum. Actually I'm wondering if I can change my serice advisor altogether. When I first got there he wasn't there so a lady helped me out instead. I think she's another advisor. She was much more helpful and kind.

Oh and another thing. I probably should've showed the tech the printout of the exact instructions to go through. The tech was telling me that in order to get Comand recognized he'd have to sit outside, get a satellite signal which can take 30 minutes. In my mind I was thinking, "is this bs he's telling me?" I don't need troubleshooting, I just want it to be set to present.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Bos

2002 C230K
That's BS... The dealers have a laptop with all the software needed to review / change any of the car's settings which does not require any sort of satellite uplink. Call FOUL!
Old 01-18-2003, 11:39 AM

2002 C320
yes u can change the service adviser =)
Old 01-18-2003, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Bos
That's BS... The dealers have a laptop with all the software needed to review / change any of the car's settings which does not require any sort of satellite uplink. Call FOUL!
It can take a GPS receiver up to 30 minutes to acquire three to four satellites, download the satellite broadcast epemerides (almanac) and determine its position. The average time to do so is less than 15 minutes. I seriously doubt this is necessary to tell the CANBUS to display the nav info on the MFD.

No GPS receiver uplinks anything to the GPS constellation. All communication is one way, satellites to receiver.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by Bos
Yup and he also said the Comand on my car isn't registered into the system, so that will take additional work too.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:36 PM

W212 E63
Every dealer is different, some can do it for free, some doesn't. There is only one dealer in my area who can change the Xenon Present setting for me. Other dealers refused my request even I have to pay.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by Lynn
It can take a GPS receiver up to 30 minutes to acquire three to four satellites, download the satellite broadcast epemerides (almanac) and determine its position. The average time to do so is less than 15 minutes. I seriously doubt this is necessary to tell the CANBUS to display the nav info on the MFD.

No GPS receiver uplinks anything to the GPS constellation. All communication is one way, satellites to receiver.
But is that even needed to get the Comand to show up as present in the instrument cluster?
Old 01-18-2003, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by oggle
But is that even needed to get the Comand to show up as present in the instrument cluster?
The car must be told that the navigation is present in the same menu that is used to tell it that Xenon headlights are present, or that the phone is not present to remove the "NO PHONE" message in the MFD.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:55 PM

C230 K coupe Orion blue, Evo, prem leather roof, premium sound and cd changer, auto.
Shouldn't that work all be under warranty?
Old 01-19-2003, 12:19 PM

C230 K
didn't do anything special.

your dealer is an a$$.. did you try a different one yet?

i took my car to the dealer closest to me (not where i bought the car, but they said they would do it free too, so...). Pulled in and got a random service advisor. i just told him i'd like to have the no phone message turned off because i didn't need to be constantly reminded of the option i didn't buy . they said no prob, drove it to the back and 5-10 min later said have a nice day.

maybe you showed up during a really busy time? try the middle of the afternoon, early AM is when everyone is dropping off, PM they are slammed w/ people picking up. middle of the day, they might not be so busy and will stop being dix...

good luck.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Re: didn't do anything special.

Originally posted by yodlebenz
your dealer is an a$$.. did you try a different one yet?

i took my car to the dealer closest to me (not where i bought the car, but they said they would do it free too, so...). Pulled in and got a random service advisor. i just told him i'd like to have the no phone message turned off because i didn't need to be constantly reminded of the option i didn't buy . they said no prob, drove it to the back and 5-10 min later said have a nice day.

maybe you showed up during a really busy time? try the middle of the afternoon, early AM is when everyone is dropping off, PM they are slammed w/ people picking up. middle of the day, they might not be so busy and will stop being dix...

good luck.
Wow you're lucky! What dealer did you go to?

When I went in they weren't busy at all. The technician was the one who told me no, not the service advisor. I ain't buying another car from them again the way this thing is unfolding.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:23 PM

2002 C240
Got mine done for free with no questions asked at Flecher Jones at Newport Beach, CA. I think you should tell your service advisor that many people on the C-class forum had their "no phone" message removed by dealer at no charge.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:40 PM

C230 K
Re: Re: didn't do anything special.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oggle
[B]Wow you're lucky! What dealer did you go to?

park place motorcars in dallas.