C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Suspension Situation: What to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Suspension Situation: What to do?

So fix one thing, another comes along. Albeit, at least this one I was somewhat aware of, just wasn't ready for the price tag.

Long story short, car drives like a boat, very bouncy, loud up front when hitting any bumps. When I took it to MB to get the flex discs and trans mount done, they advised I do some suspension work.

I took it today to Firestone to have them check out my wheel hub bearing and asked if they can check my suspension. Well, they did, and you knew it was bad when the guy had no clue how to break it down for me. Long story short, a spring is broken on the drivers side front, a lower control arm on the passenger side is on its way out, passenger side shock is gone, it's all (essentially) a front end suspension refresh.

Total? Just shy of $2800....FOR JUST FRONT!

Now comes my dilemma. My rear end feels bouncy as well, and I get a little rattle back there (that I am almost certain is the sway bar bushings) but I'm sure the struts are no good. They saw no leaks or damage, but said they can go more in depth if I choose to. The front is a disaster, they showed me first hand everything that was going on, and all I could see was green.

I have seen that ECS tuning sells a complete AMG suspension for the W203 for $1499, and by complete, it seems like it comes with EVERYTHING (suspension wise). The control arms I can get on my own, and find an independent to install while installing the new suspension. It seems like a no brainer, but I am torn. I still have the motor mounts being done on Thursday, now this.

I love this car, I would like to keep it, but either route I go, I'm at over $2000 worth of suspension work. I'm not even sure if it's worth it anymore.

Anyone else have some ideas? Thoughts? Leads to suspension work?

Anything!
Old 01-12-2015, 10:45 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Too much! I was quoted 1800 for two sport shocks and two upper control arms installed. Haven't done them yet, was estimating the savings DIY-vise.

Bilstein shocks are ~ $100 apiece. Springs are cheap. I say buy your own parts and shop around for a good labor quote.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:48 PM

05 C230K sport sedan
Get koni yellos and h&r springs. That's maybe 1k. Then go on ebay azautohaus or ecs and get everything else or even pelicanparts.com
Old 01-13-2015, 12:00 PM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Thanks guys, I was looking at the H&R coilovers, but for the price, I was considering just doing the full AMG setup by ECS, since I don't have to hunt around for the little stuff, it already comes with everything.

Link for AMG: http://www.ecstuning.com/Mercedes_Be...nce/ES2738373/

Link for H&R: http://www.ecstuning.com/Mercedes_Be...ers/ES1303271/

However, even in that scenario, I'd still be at around $2000 total once installed.

The guy who works at Firestone told me to park the car because it will "bottom out" any day now. How true of a statement is that? Aside from being a rather bumpy ride, I haven't noticed anything else. I just don't want to pony up that much cash right now, but I don't want to risk my own safety. At this point, I've even begun looking around for a new car, just in case it comes down to it.

Edit:

Followed your advice 05benzSS, but I'm not sure if this setup would work.

Springs: http://www.ecstuning.com/Mercedes_Be...ngs/ES1303282/

Shocks: http://www.ecstuning.com/Mercedes_Be...cks/ES2221027/

The only fear I have is that it'll be too low. I'd like the car to sit flush to the wheels/tires, not dropped or tucked or anything of the sort.

My other concern is that my car came with the "Sport" designation on the window sticker. I'm not sure if that makes a difference in terms of what I buy?

I also checked AutoZone and it came out a bit cheaper. I would still have to find springs, though.

For Your 2001 Mercedes Benz C320 3.2L MFI SOHC 6cyl

Bilstein/Shock/Strut - Front
Part Number: 22141705
Alternate Part Number: F4VNEE170BG
Notes: Strut assembly
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Unit Price $115.99
$231.98

Bilstein/Shock/Strut - Rear
Part Number: 24114714
Notes: Shock
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Unit Price $97.99
$195.98

Product Total: $427.96

And RMEuropean wants $484 for Bilstein shocks, struts and springs. But its got two different spring parts, one says red mark, another says yellow. Confused by what that means....

Last edited by neurodave; 01-13-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:30 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Spring marks indicate their stiffness. There is a table in WIS that lets you determine what springs you need based on ultimately the weight of the car.

I don't get why everyone is installing $1k coilovers if they did not find the std suspension lacking for their driving... I would rather save some money for other repairs.
What is so good about coilovers?
Old 01-13-2015, 01:50 PM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Originally Posted by VVF
Spring marks indicate their stiffness. There is a table in WIS that lets you determine what springs you need based on ultimately the weight of the car.

I don't get why everyone is installing $1k coilovers if they did not find the std suspension lacking for their driving... I would rather save some money for other repairs.
What is so good about coilovers?
Honestly, I have no clue what the standard suspension felt like. My car came with the sport designation, but it has had wobbly suspension since I purchased it. It's just gotten worse over time.

I guess my ultimate reason to get coilovers, is I can make it sit flush with the wheels and not have to worry about the giant gap I have up front now.

But personally, if those Bilsteins from RMEuropean can give me the same thing, I'd rather that route. Less than $500 for the complete set? I'd save a ton of money!

Side note: Noob question, what's a WIS?
Old 01-13-2015, 02:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Yes, COs allow you to screw up the geometry that the car came with.

I'd agree that they're overkill for any daily driven Benz that never sees track/autox duty, but if getting rid of the front 4x4 look is what's important, gotta go coilovers. BC and Fortune should be on your short list as well.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:56 AM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by neurodave
Side note: Noob question, what's a WIS?
That's Mercedes electronic workshop manual.
I am attaching the printout with the different springs.

To get you started, C320 is 203.064, thus 191 'base' points.
Then you add points according to the equipment that's installed.
The "table" on the bottom tells you which spring to get for a particular "total score".

That table appears to be encoded as:
Points(normal) Points(sport) part#
Points(large grnd clrnc) part#

Looking at the points, 203 321 40 04 spring (which is probably what you will figure for your car) is less stiff than 203 321 44 04 spring, etc.

Knowledgeable folks: I think if you get softer springs, the car will sit lower?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
!! Front springs tbl.pdf (178.6 KB, 268 views)
Old 01-14-2015, 01:11 PM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Originally Posted by VVF
That's Mercedes electronic workshop manual.
I am attaching the printout with the different springs.

To get you started, C320 is 203.064, thus 191 'base' points.
Then you add points according to the equipment that's installed.
The "table" on the bottom tells you which spring to get for a particular "total score".

That table appears to be encoded as:
Points(normal) Points(sport) part#
Points(large grnd clrnc) part#

Looking at the points, 203 321 40 04 spring (which is probably what you will figure for your car) is less stiff than 203 321 44 04 spring, etc.

Knowledgeable folks: I think if you get softer springs, the car will sit lower?
Sounds simple enough, and I would assume softer springs SHOULD give the car a lower look, due to the lowered resistance of the spring, but I'm sure that would affect the ride quality and make it much bouncier?

In any case, now my dilemma is, does the "Sport" designation in my window sticker actually mean "Sport" suspension. I remember someone said the "Sport" designation wasn't worth the cost of the paper it's written on, Lol.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

You two are thinking about it the wrong way. "Soft" or lower spring rates deal with how the car deals with changes in road conditions (ie, rebound/ride quality) and nothing to do with drop. They can have the same drop a spring with a higher spring rate would, but they would bottom out earlier - that's why you usually get a higher spring rate with a shorter spring, to allow about the same rebound properties in total as stock. It's similar to asking if a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers weighs more.

Pulling up parallel suspension product availabilities for parts at Tirerack for sport / non-sport for your 2010 C320, they offer the same exact products and model #s. So I don't know what you're concerned about with the "Sport" designation on your car, but it won't affect your options of what you can buy, and like you said, any advantage in suspension you may have had at one point with the Sport model have certainly gone bye-bye.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:20 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for clarifying, tommy!
Old 01-14-2015, 04:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

That's what I'm here for. I'm not just a pretty face!
Old 01-15-2015, 10:37 AM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Originally Posted by tommy
That's what I'm here for. I'm not just a pretty face!
Thank you for the 411 Tommy!

Also, I will be going to the shop you suggested in Cliffside Park in the coming days and getting a second opinion. I will update everyone when I do. If I can get it done for ~$1200, I will do it and think about the future of my car thereafter.