C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Question about projector type for retro.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c230 kompressor
Question about projector type for retro.

Hey guys, I have a question about retrofitting projectors. I am new to the world of retrofitting. I never knew about it until just recently. Mainly because most of my previous cars already had projectors. I posted this question on my car thread but no one has responded to it. Since I have been researching more about retrofitting I see that a lot of people doing retro's go with the fx type projectors. I just want to know why. Is it because of cost? I have been checking out http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ and I'm pretty sure that all of their projectors have good quality cut offs and spread so why do the fx projectors seem to be the most popular? I am definitely going to do my own retro in the not too distant future. I want to do something different or go with different projectors at least.

I am thinking about doing my retro with either AP1 S2K which is 2000-2003 or the other one I was thinking about the Lexus LS 460 projector. Also, are these projectors all about the same size fitment wise?

I just want to know more info about these type of things because I want to do a really nice job on mine. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:27 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
Damn guys, almost 150 views And no responses?
Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...a panty dropper...
I think they choose FX because of the cost, size, and light output. There was another retrofit thread where they used a different projector but it barely fit. The FX is the perfect fit from what I have gathered. Good luck with the retrofit!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:58 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
I appreciate your input bigbodybenzc240, ok so there is a size issue. Do you know if anyone has done the AP1 retro?
Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Call the retro for source they have all the info you need. The fx requires cutting and more time and skill to install.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:53 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
Oh I didn't know that it was more involved. I thought because of how popular it was that it would be easier. Yeah I'm going to give them a call. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:09 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
It's a little cheaper overall in terms of $$$ you pay out for a Retro-fit.
But the time you take to make it, gathering parts, time to get the parts is also a cost coefficient.

But retro's are cool if done right =]
Old 05-25-2011, 10:16 PM

2003 c240
I doubt the ls460 will fit. Theyre pretty big. I personally think the s2k ap1 and the rx afs are the best projectors for their beam pattern and their relatively small size.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:30 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
Well I called TRS and the guy was telling me to go with the morimoto H1 bixenon. The total cost is $150 with shipping on the H1 kit. I have a question about how the bi-x works since we have a separate high beam as it is. Is there any additional wiring that has to be done in order for this to work correctly? I'm not really sure if I want to go with the H1 kit or not. The AP1 S2K is about $300 just for the projectors. Do you guys think that the fx-r and the morimotos have just as good of a cutoff as say the AP1's or the tsx's? Because if the cutoff and spread of the projectors are the same then it doesn't make sense to over spend if it's not necessary. And yeah the guy told me that the LS 460's would probably be too large and I might loose my turn signals. I just want to know the difference between the oems and the aftermarkets.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:46 PM

2003 c240
Cutoff is really clean and clear on all of those. The spread and intensity vary between the three. The s2k have the best spread with great intensity. The fxr have great intensity but the spread isn't as good. I havent seen the morimoto ones personally so I can't comment on those but I find it hard to beleive they would be better than the fx-r and positive that the s2k are better. The morimoto will be the easiest to retrofit.

The rx afs projectors are very similar to the s2k. They are both manufactured by the same company and the spread and intensity are similar but just slightly worse than the s2k.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 PM

2007 c230
Originally Posted by Jp's_C230k_W203
Well I called TRS and the guy was telling me to go with the morimoto H1 bixenon. The total cost is $150 with shipping on the H1 kit. I have a question about how the bi-x works since we have a separate high beam as it is. Is there any additional wiring that has to be done in order for this to work correctly? I'm not really sure if I want to go with the H1 kit or not. The AP1 S2K is about $300 just for the projectors. Do you guys think that the fx-r and the morimotos have just as good of a cutoff as say the AP1's or the tsx's? Because if the cutoff and spread of the projectors are the same then it doesn't make sense to over spend if it's not necessary. And yeah the guy told me that the LS 460's would probably be too large and I might loose my turn signals. I just want to know the difference between the oems and the aftermarkets.

the bi xenon works perfectly because the wire for the high beams are enclosed within the same housing at the low beams. So all you need to do is splice and wrap and your all set. I did the morimoto H1 and im pretty happy with them! I finanlly got to test it out in the woods lsat night and im pretty amazed how nice they really are.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-retrofit.html

thats the size difference

Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 PM

C240
The morimoto H1 retrofit is probably the best bang for your buck. It may not be the cheapest around, but it has the best light focusing and cutoff I have ever seen. There was a thread about it earlier... go 2-3 pages back and you might still find it there.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:47 AM

2005 c230 kompressor
Thanks guys. Yes I read that morimoto h1 thread. The only thing is that I didn't see any pics of the cutoff and intensity on those. I have owned 2 AP1 s2k's so I know all about those. I agree with the morimotos being the best bang for the buck because the AP1's run $300 for projectors only. And thanks norwhichdelta, I really wanted to know how it would work with the wiring on the bixenon. Thanks everyone else for the input.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
When I called they told me to go with the morimoto ds2 and not the h1...I wonder why. Anyone know which one if better?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:23 AM

13 Jeep JKU Sahara w/4" lift Kit & the works,2015 Toyota Sienna XLE,2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
well if you don't want to cut your OEM headlamps, you can go with the depo housing and the FXR's are a straight swap, you just dis-assemble the depo housing and remove the depo projector and just swap them out with the FXR projectors you can even use the depo shrouds and save money there as well......this will eliminate all the cutting aligining and stuff which is really critical when doing a retro, you dont wnat to open and close the assembly for alignment issues....... that is the reason why I am going this route ...plus I had alreday bought the depo setup with installed ballasts on the headlight etc......... search fro "Timjim's therad he is the retro guru on here ...he has been very hepfull in directing me in the right direction........

javvy
Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
Originally Posted by Javvy
well if you don't want to cut your OEM headlamps, you can go with the depo housing and the FXR's are a straight swap, you just dis-assemble the depo housing and remove the depo projector and just swap them out with the FXR projectors you can even use the depo shrouds and save money there as well......this will eliminate all the cutting aligining and stuff which is really critical when doing a retro, you dont wnat to open and close the assembly for alignment issues....... that is the reason why I am going this route ...plus I had alreday bought the depo setup with installed ballasts on the headlight etc......... search fro "Timjim's therad he is the retro guru on here ...he has been very hepfull in directing me in the right direction........

javvy
I'm eventually going to do my FX-R retrofit on my eagle eye headlights, I chose eagle eye because they have more room in the housing to do the retrofit than the depo headlights do. I might do it this weekend since my gf will be working and it'll give all day to mess with it along with my other projects I'm trying to complete.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:12 AM

2003 c240
Originally Posted by JUAN CASAUS
When I called they told me to go with the morimoto ds2 and not the h1...I wonder why. Anyone know which one if better?
i can bet they told you go with the d2s because you already have HID's so your stock setup would plug right in.

i've seen output shots of the h1 and d2s, and IMO the H1 is better. It has less hotspots.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:20 AM

2005 c230 kompressor
Thanks javvy, I completely understand where your coming from. But for me , since I don't have the depos that will be more money. Not only that, I enjoy doing projects like these. You are right about the alignment though, I will just have to be really careful and precise when I install it. I also want to be able to show something that I personally made. That's what I love about this mod, I'm still rather new at this retrofitting thing but if I do a good job at this, I will start advertising my work. Where I live there are so many people that upgrade things on their cars. I used to have my LED and HID business advertised through craigslist and I have so many good contacts because of it. I don't plan to start a business out of it, I just want to have something like a little side project while I have the medical life as my profession!

I was thinking and I should be able to start this project in about 2 weeks. So I still have some time to decide what projectors and shrouds to go with. Right now I think the E55 shrouds are going to be the best fit for my car. As far as the projectors I'm still thinking but, I may just go with the morimotos. I am considering posting up a full DIY on how to do this retro from start to finish with pics included. It just depends on what's going on because I have my board exams coming up in about a month from today, so it's going to be a really busy month for me.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:23 AM

2005 c230 kompressor
Phister, I would love to see pics of that as soon as you get them installed
Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 PM

Correction, Drove An '05 C230 Kompressor SS
Hey JP, Call me when you get a chance (Tomorrow... Saturday would be cool), I can clarify your questions and lend you a hand on the install.
I have 7.... Going on 8 Retros under my belt so far, I can teach you a trick or two that I have learned on alignment, dremeling, and bracketing to get you off on the right foot.
Also, Still interested in doing the Interior and exterior mods we talked about? I'm buttoning all of the loose ends up this week.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 PM

2007 c230
Originally Posted by Javvy

javvy
there is no reall cutting required for the OEM it is 100 percent reversable. The only cutting is the shrouds which if you use the Gattling gun minis you wont have to cut anything.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:50 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
Cool Jeff! I will give you a call tomorrow then bro. And yes I am interested in the cf wrap on the interior and some exterior for sure. I appreciate you lending your wisdom lol!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:29 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
Guys, I have just had a deal walk my way. I need your opinions. The retrofit project is going to cost me about $150 with shipping included. This is for the morimoto mini H1 kit. I was selling my HID inventory and I ran into a guy that used to do window tinting for me a long time ago. Anyways, we got into talking about retrofitting and he told me he's done it. So he started telling me that he thought he had some AMG projectors at his house but he wasn't sure if he still had them. He doesn't know what car they are out of. I get a phone call today and he tells me he will let me buy them for whatever I want to offer.

So the reason I'm questioning this is because I haven't really heard anyone say that Any of the AMG projectors out there are good or not. I wouldn't mind paying more money if the difference of the mini H1's and the AMG's is very significant. I guess I can put a bulb in there before I make an offer to check out how the spread pattern and intensity are. Let me know what you guys would do. Input is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:19 PM

Correction, Drove An '05 C230 Kompressor SS
There are a lot of factors you have to take into consideration before shaking hands on this deal.

1) Size of Projector housing and making sure it isn't going to be too big for your housing.
2) single or Bi-xenon?
3) make sure there is going to be a way of mounting brackets to the projector.
4) The mini H1 morimotos are kind of a quick bolt-on vs. These "AMG's" you speak of may take a lot more fabricating to make work, costing you more money and time.
5) Then there is the whole Color and Cutoff sharpness.

Maybe no one has used these projectors in a Retro because of the difficulty and lack of performance.

Ask your guy to take pics and measurements of the Projectors real quick, post them up, then we can decipher if that would be a good project projector to use.

I'm interested to see what those projectors look like.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
Thanks for the reply Jeff. That sounds like a good idea. That's why I wanted to get responses from you guys about what I should do as I am new at this retrofitting business lol. The guy works at the shop I used to own so I'm sure I can just swing by and take a few pics of them. I'll post them up as soon as I take the pics. Thanks again Jeff. I definitely don't want to jumping into a headache.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about projector type for retro.