C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Slow temperature rising?? Any ideas???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 c320 black/black
Slow temperature rising?? Any ideas???

Hello everyone, been following the forums for a while and have helped me a lot. Now I have a new problem that I could not find the solution to after searching. My car takes a long time to for the temperature to rise to 80 degrees. It takes a half a hour of driving and the temperature only barely goes up to 60 degrees. Also, I have a problem with the fan blowing cold air because the car is not heated up enough. What could the problem be?
Last oil change was done 6k ago and still have the oem spark plugs. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Car
Where are you from? Could be simple as "its too freakin cold where i live!" for the engine to warm up.
Nothing to worry about in terms of engine damage. My car almost never hits the 80 degrees when i get to work during winter; thermostat almost never opens when i drive.

The blowing of cold air, just turn down the blue dial in the center air vent. I have the same car as you, i know exactly what you mean.

Our 320 engine doesnt work as hard in the w203 application, meaning it wont warm up as fast as others. The dual ram air intake doesnt help either.

Just remember, never drive the car hard when engine its cold.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:54 PM

01 c320 black/black
Originally Posted by holycaoAMG
Where are you from? Could be simple as "its too freakin cold where i live!" for the engine to warm up.
Nothing to worry about in terms of engine damage. My car almost never hits the 80 degrees when i get to work during winter; thermostat almost never opens when i drive.

The blowing of cold air, just turn down the blue dial in the center air vent. I have the same car as you, i know exactly what you mean.

Our 320 engine doesnt work as hard in the w203 application, meaning it wont warm up as fast as others. The dual ram air intake doesnt help either.

Just remember, never drive the car hard when engine its cold.
Thanks for the quick response. I thought I had to replace some part. Im also having some problems with the heat and A/C. Seems like the stepper motor on the passenger side is broken because of the clicking sound when the car is started;does it 7 times and stops, on max blow there is an almost helicopter sound coming from the dash and the output of air is very weak. Idk whether there is a quick fix for this, if its the heat compressor or a stuck stepper motor that needs to be replaced. Thanks again
Old 12-18-2009, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 CLK320 (sold), 2007 C230 SS (gone), 2000 Grand Marquis, 2011 CR-Z, stay tuned...
The m112 doesn't heat up to the same temperature as the other engines either, mine in the CLK never went far above 80, whereas my m272 easily borders on 95 regularly. Even still, the m112 shouldn't take too long to heat up. It sounds to me like the thermostat is stuck open. As a failsafe, they are designed to stick in the open position so that your car can function with a defective thermostat. I would recommend having your dealer (or indy if you have one) checking its functionality. It isn't too bad on your engine to run it cold, but running it for long periods of time when under operating temperature is not ideal and will cause excessive wear on your engine. It may be a result of your environment, but it seems even too long for that. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by bdgdl08
The m112 doesn't heat up to the same temperature as the other engines either, mine in the CLK never went far above 80, whereas my m272 easily borders on 95 regularly. Even still, the m112 shouldn't take too long to heat up. It sounds to me like the thermostat is stuck open. As a failsafe, they are designed to stick in the open position so that your car can function with a defective thermostat. I would recommend having your dealer (or indy if you have one) checking its functionality. It isn't too bad on your engine to run it cold, but running it for long periods of time when under operating temperature is not ideal and will cause excessive wear on your engine. It may be a result of your environment, but it seems even too long for that. Good luck!
+1
yeah sounds like bad thermostat i think you would have worse fuel economy as well. i would say my car is to about 85-90 within 5 minutes or so of stop and go traffic on a 28F morning.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Check with an OBDII scanner - you should get a P0128 code.

P0128 = Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below
Thermostat Regulating Temperature)
Old 01-01-2011, 12:59 PM

2014 E350 4Matic
Mine just started doing the same this winter and setting off my check engine light.Light goes off in warmer weather after about 3days.I read in other forums that the cause is the thermostat stuck open when cold thus making coolant flow freely throughout the system.Actually it gave a P0115 code.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:06 AM

clk 320
Hello, I know this is an old thread but I am having issues with my temp, It is too low it is usually at 60 when driving at a normal speed on the highway, it does get to 80 but only if the car is not moving.

I just replaced the Thermostat and the coolant temperature sensor but no luck.

Anyone has any idea what could be wrong?

The car is a 1999 CLK 320.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 COUPE 2003 M271
Originally Posted by tammuz
Hello, I know this is an old thread but I am having issues with my temp, It is too low it is usually at 60 when driving at a normal speed on the highway, it does get to 80 but only if the car is not moving.

I just replaced the Thermostat and the coolant temperature sensor but no luck.

Anyone has any idea what could be wrong?

The car is a 1999 CLK 320.

Thanks
maybe auxillary coolant pump stuck on? try unplugging it. Most common cause for overcooling is by far a failing thermostat but you already changed that.
The following users liked this post:
Ramakidi (07-26-2018)
Old 07-31-2015, 10:33 AM

clk 320
Thanks for your reply.
Ill try unpluging that pump, where is it located? sorry but have no idea.

Thanks again