Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W203)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Sponsored by : My Mercedes Parts
Click Here

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16
Oil Leak at Vacuum Pump '05 c230 coupe

'05 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
I have a significant leak from around vacuum pump for brake system attached at rear of engine to the camshaft. I have been told it is a common source for an oil leak. My question is: Is this simply due to a bad seal and pulling the existing pump and replacing the gasket and reinstalling same pump is likely to eliminate the leak, or is replacing the pump itself (along with a new gasket) recommended? Pump price is $180-200 vs. $3.00 gasket.
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

mreichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,385
Drives: 2009 E350 Sport
From what I've seen, it is typically the gasket.
__________________
Past:
2005 C230K Sport 7/2008-9/2012
2011 C300 Sport 4/2013-10/2013

LILBENZ230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin,Texas
Posts: 187
Drives: 2005 C230SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreichman View Post
'05 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
I have a significant leak from around vacuum pump for brake system attached at rear of engine to the camshaft. I have been told it is a common source for an oil leak. My question is: Is this simply due to a bad seal and pulling the existing pump and replacing the gasket and reinstalling same pump is likely to eliminate the leak, or is replacing the pump itself (along with a new gasket) recommended? Pump price is $180-200 vs. $3.00 gasket.
When had my vacume pump gasket replaced, I looked at the "bad" gasket and could not see anything wrong with it. It is a metal gasket which is the same as the replacement. The pump was not bad.
__________________
Mercedes Benz Owner's Gun Club, Member # 32
Official Magnet for Idiots Who Can't Drive
mbarrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16
Thanks for the quick and helpful replies! I do greatly appreciate it. LILBENZ: When you replaced yours, did you have a lot of oil that leaked all around the area. I certainly do...a bit of a mess to clean up. Also, was any explanation given as to why leak developed? Seems weird that old gasket looked normal. I guess we just hope the replacements don't fail too!
mreichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #5
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,385
Drives: 2009 E350 Sport
Sorry, OP, my vacuum pump has not leaked. How many miles do you have?
__________________
Past:
2005 C230K Sport 7/2008-9/2012
2011 C300 Sport 4/2013-10/2013

LILBENZ230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16
Oops sorry...I guess I shoulda addressed question to mbarrad. Car has only 26K miles. Big mess from this oil leak!
mreichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: long beach, ms
Posts: 24
Drives: 05 c230k s, 06 gmc sierra
i had the same problem. but not as bad, i caught it when it started. mine was leaking onthe pump itself, and not the gasket that goes into the head. the pump itself, has a lid has bout 5 screws holding it. with a gasket inbetween the pump and the lid itself. i tryed to oreder the oring seal for the pump at mb dealership. but they say there was no part # for it. but they gave me two other gasket which goes into the head. a metal gasket, and a small oring gasket. i had to use a oil filter gasket from a canister type filter which is working fine for me.

you should clean around the pump area and see if it leaks from the head (where the pump goes into the head to camshaft) or the pump itself. i would change the two gasket (metal,and small oring) if you plan to take the pump off yourself.

i cant see how that pump would go bad. its just the gasket or oring seals.
dinky228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:10 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinky228 View Post
i had the same problem. but not as bad, i caught it when it started. mine was leaking onthe pump itself, and not the gasket that goes into the head. the pump itself, has a lid has bout 5 screws holding it. with a gasket inbetween the pump and the lid itself. i tryed to oreder the oring seal for the pump at mb dealership. but they say there was no part # for it. but they gave me two other gasket which goes into the head. a metal gasket, and a small oring gasket. i had to use a oil filter gasket from a canister type filter which is working fine for me.

you should clean around the pump area and see if it leaks from the head (where the pump goes into the head to camshaft) or the pump itself. i would change the two gasket (metal,and small oring) if you plan to take the pump off yourself.

i cant see how that pump would go bad. its just the gasket or oring seals.
Thanks. This is helpful. I will try to identify the EXACT source as you describe. So to clarify: there's (1) an o-ring between pump unit an its lid and (2) a small o-ring and metal gasket between pump and head? You "borrowed" a o-ring from an oil filter for seal (1)?
mreichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: long beach, ms
Posts: 24
Drives: 05 c230k s, 06 gmc sierra
here is the part # for the metal gasket, and the small oring. and as for the pump gasket seal i used a oil filter seal from a 08 kia sorento (only used the seal that came with the filter)

gasket, part# 271 - 238 - 01 - 80 . price 12.75
seal ring, part# 668 - 997 - 01 - 45 . price 2.70

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c-clas...ar-engine.html
dinky228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinky228 View Post
here is the part # for the metal gasket, and the small oring. and as for the pump gasket seal i used a oil filter seal from a 08 kia sorento (only used the seal that came with the filter)

gasket, part# 271 - 238 - 01 - 80 . price 12.75
seal ring, part# 668 - 997 - 01 - 45 . price 2.70

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c-clas...ar-engine.html
Thanks...read prior thread. Haven't looked yet, but I sure hope my leak will be solved by replacing the MB part number seals. But, if not, I will know pretty much what I need to find!
mreichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin,Texas
Posts: 187
Drives: 2005 C230SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreichman View Post
Thanks for the quick and helpful replies! I do greatly appreciate it. LILBENZ: When you replaced yours, did you have a lot of oil that leaked all around the area. I certainly do...a bit of a mess to clean up. Also, was any explanation given as to why leak developed? Seems weird that old gasket looked normal. I guess we just hope the replacements don't fail too!
I had a real oil mess that was cleaned up by the shop I took it to. Everything in the back of the motor was coated in oil. The tech could not understand why the original metal gasket failed since it looked fine to him. I inspected it too and did not see anything wrong with it. The tech said that since MB has not updated their replacement gasket to a better built one, I could see the problem return in the future. This unfortunately happened while my car was out of warranty with ONLY 50,000 miles on the odometer. If I have to expect this sort of re occuring issue in the near future, I had better learn how to fix this myself or look for another car.
__________________
Mercedes Benz Owner's Gun Club, Member # 32
Official Magnet for Idiots Who Can't Drive
mbarrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,385
Drives: 2009 E350 Sport
Did you just look back there to notice the leak? I'm never under the hood on my C230. It's odd that it wouldn't ask for more oil if it were losing a good bit.
__________________
Past:
2005 C230K Sport 7/2008-9/2012
2011 C300 Sport 4/2013-10/2013

LILBENZ230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin,Texas
Posts: 187
Drives: 2005 C230SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230 View Post
Did you just look back there to notice the leak? I'm never under the hood on my C230. It's odd that it wouldn't ask for more oil if it were losing a good bit.
I noticed the leak when oil drops started appearing on my garage floor.
__________________
Mercedes Benz Owner's Gun Club, Member # 32
Official Magnet for Idiots Who Can't Drive
mbarrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Riverside Ca
Posts: 15
Drives: c230 Kompressor
joeguzmanguzman joeguzman2001
Send a message via Yahoo to joeguzman2001 Send a message via Skype™ to joeguzman2001
I replaced both the O rings. The one going into the head and the large one on the pump itself using the O ring from a large canister type oil filter I found at Autozone. It was not a perfect fit and had to be stretched a bit. For good measure I used a very light coat of RTV as not to get any into the pump when it got compressed by the lid and 5 screws. That did the trick. Use a 8mm box wrench to remove the pump from the head as the socket and wrachet setup does not work due to the tight clearance. Be very carefull not to over tighten and strip the torx bolts.
joeguzman2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:35 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2000, bad, benz, c230, engine, gasket, head, kompressor, leak, oil, pump, repair, sorento, vacum, vacuum



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 AM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.
Everyone's Personal Details