C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

insurance coverage question..

Old 03-05-2010, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CTT-S
insurance coverage question..

driving in the freeway.. a pickup with stuff in the back.. zooms thru traffic, suddenly in front of me, next thing happened.. a cardboard or a ply board suddenly flew out.. didn't had the chance to avoid it, hit the front, and scratched/dented the front bumper, passenger side fender, front and back doors... since it's night and didn't get the license plates.. and it just speed away like nothing happened.. how would i report that?

or is it better to just pay the repairs out of my pocket?

any shops recommended in the houston area?

thanks in advance..
Old 03-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I would think it could be considered a hit and run. Most likely they didn't even realize they lost it.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:30 PM

2006 C230 SS, 2006 S500, 2008 CLS550 Lorinser
Yeha i would say screw the story and tell them it was a hit & run, you have pics of the damage?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:06 PM

06 CTT-S
just opened a claim.. it's a 750 deductable.. if the repair is less than that, then i'll just pay the repairs out of my pocket..
Old 03-05-2010, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by mgbrillo
just opened a claim.. it's a 750 deductable.. if the repair is less than that, then i'll just pay the repairs out of my pocket..
"...hit the front, and scratched/dented the front bumper, passenger side fender, front and back doors."...It's not hit and run, it's damage from road debris. And it will be more than $750 if the scratches need painting or more than the bumper is dented. Just the bumper cover will be around $500. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:51 AM

06 CTT-S
i will take a good look at the car tomorrow.. it sucks.. i hate when this happens.. the reason i am thinking of paying the repairs from my own is that the insurance will (eventually) get back their money when they raise my premium.. i mean, this will be the 2nd time in 3 yrs that i'll claim from my policy.. the 1st being i wrecked the 350z (in 2007).

that's why i am looking for anyone on the board if they have any recommended MB body shops in Houston

+ i have a reiger front bumper that's still sitting in the garage.. i don't know if the shop would agree installing this after they repair the current amg fronts - i guess this will be an "extra" work = extra $$$

Last edited by Paculdo; 03-06-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:12 PM

'05 C230
If you go through insurance, the processor will give you an estimate on how much they are willing to spend for repairs.

So, you will have a check in hand and if you decide on installing your reiger bumper and let's say the labor exceeds the amount in your check. you will have to shell out the extra.

for reference: I was backed into by an old woman and I decided to have a reiger bumper installed. The processor gave me 1100 for a stock bumper and labor fees. The reiger bumper alone was already 1300 and I think the total was 2100. I got lucky I didnt have internal body frame damage and fitting problems.

**Stupid question: Why didn't you chase the truck and get their insurance?
Old 03-08-2010, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I would have at least collected the box to see if I could ID the perp from that.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Does insurance go up in this case? I know insurance doesn't go up if it's not your own fault but i also heard some insurance companies raise premium no matter who is at fault.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:45 PM

'05 C230
i don't think it will go up since it will be deemed as a hit and run.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E250 Bluetec 2002 CL55, 2000 430CLK Cab
My insurance company actually called it "Inconsequential damage" when a 4"X8"X3' piece of wood fell of a pickup truck right in front of my wife's 2005 Mini Cooper S a few years ago. Believe it or not the damage to the car was enough to total it!! The lumber damaged the front and rear suspensions, activated side curtain and seat embedded side airbags (Drivers side) and bent the frame.

The claim was not charged as being our fault and the payout was $29K. At the time the car was 14 months old with 20K miles.......we were very surprised that it was totaled as she actually drove the car home and unless you looked at it from behind and saw the left rear wheel out of kilter you wouldn't think a thing was wrong with the car
Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 AM

06 CTT-S
Originally Posted by pawe
**Stupid question: Why didn't you chase the truck and get their insurance?
I did gave a bit of a chase, but it seems like the pickup truck either didn't notice it, or that he thinks I am trying to race.. plus, there are too many reports here in Houston recently of being robbed - on car "accidents" - and it's night, and i'm just trying to get home

alam mo naman tayong mga pinoy, i'm 34 but we look way younger than our age, so they can mistaken me as a kid so they can just run - plyboard is way cheaper than paying insurance (if they have any).

it's a nissan titan and you know it can easily outrun a c230.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 AM

06 CTT-S
man, i've been wanting to install the reiger fronts.. but too many priorities (expenses) coming up.. i was actually looking to upgrade my wheels/tires since the fronts have probably 30% tread left. i was thinking the reigers can wait for a bit more.. and then this happened... so i guess the fronts will go first
Old 03-09-2010, 09:46 AM

06 CTT-S
okey.. additional question: i have rock chips and cracks in the windshield, but NOT caused in this accident.. do you think the adjuster can be "talked" to including the windshield? or that would cause me another deductable cost? i was wondering that since i'll take the car to a shop, i'd probably just get that done too.

also, any suggestions for MB body shops here in houston? or is it better to just take it to a dealership for the repairs (but i'm thinking, they may not install the reigers)..

thanks for all the post/responses!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:51 AM

06 CTT-S
Originally Posted by paul65k
My insurance company actually called it "Inconsequential damage"
question on this: were you able to get the truck responsible for the accident? in my case, I did'nt ID the truck/driver so I don't know how my insurance would see this..

I will update this post as (hopefully) the adjuster shows up later.. it's been raining here in h-town since yesterday.. more rain today :-(
Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 PM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
I think this might be covered under your comprehensive insurance. Comprehensive is for damage due to things other than another vehicle; e.g. large animals, flying debris, storm, theft, etc. If your insurance company will cover it under comprehensive, it will not affect your rates. But you will have to pay your deductible.

Another alternative is it could be charged to uninsured motorist coverage. Again, a deductible applies.

If it is charged to your collision insurance, it will show on your record as a collision (even though it is not your fault). This is probably the least desirable.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2023 EQS580 sedan
Most insurance companies will replace a chipped/cracked windshield w/o charging you the deductible... read your policy!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:51 PM

06 CTT-S
Originally Posted by dblankenbaker
Most insurance companies will replace a chipped/cracked windshield w/o charging you the deductible... read your policy!
thanks for this.. you know, i buy the insurance, pay the monthly note, but NEVER read the policy of what's included and what's not. All I know is that it's comprehensive, a fix amt deductible and for whatever happens, i'm covered.

now for the chipped/cracked windshied - i only assumed that if i go thru the insurance i pay the deductible, unfortunately the amt to replace the windshield is lesser ($480) than my deductible ($750).
Old 03-09-2010, 10:59 PM

06 CTT-S
got the adjuster to see the car, i got a quote and i will go to a body shop tomorrow to have it checked.. dents and scratches on the bumper, hood, passenger side fender and doors and side skirts all costs $1860. i asked him about including the windshield replacement but he said he'll get fired if he include that in the estimate since it's not part of the damage caused by the reported accident. i may have to pay another deductable if i want that included so i said no to that.

the next challenge is to have the amg fronts repaired and have the reigers installed. i may sell the amg fronts if i get this deal done in the body shop.. question is, would the body shop go thru a "negotation" (for discount) if i include any other work aside from what the adjuster have quoted?

again, paging folks from the h-town :-) if someone knows somebody who owns or work in a body shop that can do this ??? :-)
Old 03-09-2010, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E250 Bluetec 2002 CL55, 2000 430CLK Cab
Originally Posted by mgbrillo
question on this: were you able to get the truck responsible for the accident? in my case, I didn't ID the truck/driver so I don't know how my insurance would see this..

I will update this post as (hopefully) the adjuster shows up later.. it's been raining here in h-town since yesterday.. more rain today :-(
No she had no way to see or follow the truck. When the airbags went off it was a disaster inside the car and it took everything she had to pull over to the side of the road. The truck likely had no idea what happened behind him and our insurance company (State Farm) was fantastic and paid like a "Loose Slot Machine" .

Good luck
Old 03-10-2010, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Ok here is some more info.

If you saw it it's your fault. If you didn't see it coming it's not your fault.

Example:

Person driving on highway hits a tire= His or Her Fault
Person driving on highway and tire flies off a car= Not his or her fault

In this case you have to be careful how you word it. They might say you saw it coming and had a chance to avoid it. That's why you are suppose to keep a distance so they will blame it on you. Just be careful on how you word it so they won't have any excuse.

Good Luck