C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

low-beam bulb replacement

Old 01-31-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CTT-S
low-beam bulb replacement

noob issue/question - first, i don't have any know-how in fixing/or changing parts/items in the car.. so bear with me.. thanks..

just got the low beam warning in the dash.. looked it up and my right low-bean light is off/out.. is there a better, brighter bulb for replacement than the OEM's? would it give me any problems if i don't get the OEM? I have an 06 c230 SC (non bi-xenon), i guess i could say, just the regular halogen lights..

is it an easy DIY fix? thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2010, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by mgbrillo
noob issue/question - first, i don't have any know-how in fixing/or changing parts/items in the car.. so bear with me.. thanks..

just got the low beam warning in the dash.. looked it up and my right low-bean light is off/out.. is there a better, brighter bulb for replacement than the OEM's? would it give me any problems if i don't get the OEM? I have an 06 c230 SC (non bi-xenon), i guess i could say, just the regular halogen lights..

is it an easy DIY fix? thanks in advance
Nah doesnt make a difference if you get OEM or non-OEM. Just get a good quality H7 bulb at your local auto parts store like Sylvania etc.

You could get HID's to improve brightness and thus visibility. It also looks cooler because its white light.

Whatever you do, dont ever get the white HID imitation halogen bulbs because the amount of usable light output by those bulbs are very very low.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:17 PM

06 CTT-S
if i go ahead and do HID what do i need to do? do i need to change the whole headlights with another one? again, is this an easy DIY? or do i need to get someone "experienced"? would it throw a code or something?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
if i go ahead and do HID what do i need to do? do i need to change the whole headlights with another one? again, is this an easy DIY? or do i need to get someone "experienced"? would it throw a code or something?
Well do you have the frosty headlights now or the clear ones? It is recommended to install the clear headlight assemblies for HID, but these are very expensive/unobtainable for the coupe so some members on here (including myself) have resorted to installing HID's in the frosty headlight assemblies.

So if you have the clear assemblies or decide to do HID in the frosty headlights, all you will need is a HID kit of the wattage (brightness) and temperature (color) of your choosing. Its a medium difficulty installation but can be done by yourself if you take your time and have the patience to read the forum. All the instructions you need are on there, but you will have to sift through all the data. There are a few subtleties that you need to know like the Xenon = Present setting and the headlight leveling settings, so make sure you read all the info.

Here are some threads to get you started off if you choose to go this way:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...nt-thread.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...s-removal.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...d-install.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...hids-30-a.html
Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 AM

06 CTT-S
thanks jcnash..

i have the clear headlights.. i did used the seach here to look for HID's and found that thread by HIDEXTRA.. i may get it from them.. i have sent an email to them asking about that settings for xenon=present (if incase i would need it). hopefully i could install it myself.. if not, i'll go to a nearby shop to have it installed
Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 AM

07 C230 Sport
thanks jcnash..

i have the clear headlights.. i did used the seach here to look for HID's and found that thread by HIDEXTRA.. i may get it from them.. i have sent an email to them asking about that settings for xenon=present (if incase i would need it). hopefully i could install it myself.. if not, i'll go to a nearby shop to have it installed
i've had their 6000k low beam kit on my car since october. also have their 3000k kit on my fogs. everything works great. you don't need the xenon=present setting because the kit comes with capacitors to get rid of the errors. i did have one capacitor go out on me and they sent a replacement right away. super easy to install as well, you can do it yourself. it's a good "first mod" for your car if you are inexperienced.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:38 AM

06 CTT-S
Originally Posted by Raw_Shark
i've had their 6000k low beam kit on my car since october. also have their 3000k kit on my fogs. everything works great. you don't need the xenon=present setting because the kit comes with capacitors to get rid of the errors. i did have one capacitor go out on me and they sent a replacement right away. super easy to install as well, you can do it yourself. it's a good "first mod" for your car if you are inexperienced.
thanks Shark.. looking forward to get this installed
Old 03-09-2010, 11:01 PM

2004 C230K
u might have an error code at ur dash cuz my cousin put HIDS on his 06 w203 and he had error msg on the dash
Old 03-09-2010, 11:05 PM

06 CTT-S
Originally Posted by importz_
u might have an error code at ur dash cuz my cousin put HIDS on his 06 w203 and he had error msg on the dash
thanks for this man

never got to buy this, got some things come up... last saturday, got into a small accident (posted in another thread) so that's another expense :-(

heya.. since your here in houston, do you know any decent mb body shop in the area? thanks in advance.