C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Jerking / Clunking Problem

Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C280 4Matic, 2011 E92 335i
Jerking / Clunking Problem

My car, when going at slow speeds, jerk and clunk very noticeably. Also, if I need to quickly accelerate (ie. for a yellow light), the car sometimes jerks veeery hard and feels as if something is stopping the car from accelerating for a moment.

At first I thought this is a transmission problem, but I figured out that it's probably not because I've used the tiptronic to make the car stay in gear 1, but the car still showed the clunking problem at slow speeds.

After searching the forum, I found out that the torque converter could be the cause of this issue. Does this sound reasonable?

For reference, I have the 5G Transmission (Although I don't think it's the transmission causing this.) and I have the 4Matic.

I've went to the dealer numerous times but they continously said they couldn't replicate the issue.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem.. It's getting retarded to drive in city and people looking at the car weirdly when the car is jerking back and forth....

Thanks in advance
The following users liked this post:
AlbertoYabuy (04-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2010, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK320 (sold), 2007 C230 SS (gone), 2000 Grand Marquis, 2011 CR-Z, stay tuned...
It sounds like a linkage is loose. This would cause slack when you're off the power, and then a jerk when you get on it. It would also cause your car to jerk when the transmission down-shifts for the same reason.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by bdgdl08
It sounds like a linkage is loose. This would cause slack when you're off the power, and then a jerk when you get on it. It would also cause your car to jerk when the transmission down-shifts for the same reason.
Thanks for the reply, seems like that's exactly what the problem is.

So if I want the MB service ppl to look at it and fix it, should I ask them to look for loose transmission linkage? My service A is due soon so I'm thinking of fixing a bunch of problems with the car.

Sorry for asking such a newb question..
Old 03-10-2010, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 CLK320 (sold), 2007 C230 SS (gone), 2000 Grand Marquis, 2011 CR-Z, stay tuned...
This happened to my step-dad on his C (2000 w202 C230). I'll ask him what exactly it was.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:42 PM

Ok thanks, i'd appreciate that
Old 03-11-2010, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
watch the rpm's. does it look like they fly up and then get slammed down during the moment when the car jerks?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:20 PM

C230K Coupe
sounds like transmission to me. clutch slipping = revs going up with no response from the car when stopped.. jerky shifts while driving.. basically everything you've said.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
Originally Posted by dymmeh
sounds like transmission to me. clutch slipping = revs going up with no response from the car when stopped.. jerky shifts while driving.. basically everything you've said.
where exactly did he say that?
Old 03-12-2010, 02:44 AM

C230K Coupe
Originally Posted by henry418
feels as if something is stopping the car from accelerating for a moment.
misread this as him starting from a stop.
my bad
Old 03-12-2010, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dingleberry
watch the rpm's. does it look like they fly up and then get slammed down during the moment when the car jerks?
I was never looking at the RPM when the jerks happen, but I'll try to see it and update in about a week when I go back home.

If this is true though, what would the causing factor be?
Old 03-12-2010, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by dymmeh
Shifts are smooth except sometimes when the car is downshifting. Also, I don't feel the car revving when the jerk happens.

If it is the transmission.. wouldn't the car not jerk when I have it stay in gear 1 with the tiptronic? Sometimes in traffic, I use the tiptronic to stay in gear 1 with hopes of the jerk not showing, but with no success.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 AM

Do you guys think misfires could be causing the problem?

After searching the forum quite a bit, it seems like people having misfires have the cars run rough when in low speeds/idle. (although my car is fine at idle)

For the jerk when suddenly accelerating, maybe the engine misfires at the moment the car accelerates?

Just a possiblity.. I'm going insane with the problem.

PS. what is a good code scanner to buy for my car? Just to see if the car threw any codes related to the problem.. I saw some from ebay but can I trust them?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe

PS. what is a good code scanner to buy for my car? Just to see if the car threw any codes related to the problem.. I saw some from ebay but can I trust them?
This is an awesome eBay scanner. Ive been using it for over 6 months now with my coupe and works perfectly. Well priced too...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/UPDATABLE-SUPER-C...ht_3454wt_1076
Old 03-12-2010, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dingleberry
Sorry to jack this thread...but this sounds exactly like the problem I have with my coupe.

Happens usually only when the engine is cold...I start the engine and drive out...gear changes are quite rough...and then before the engine temp reaches 60C or so, if I have to stop say at a light, I notice that the car starts vibrating more than usual when stopped.

Once this happens, when the light turns green, I try to move, but notice a serious lack of power....engine revs high (2500-3000) rpm with the car barely moving but engine making a loud noise.

Then all of a sudden, the rpms drop and the car jerks and starts moving normally.

This never happens when the engine has had a chance to warm up to above 60C. Anyone know whats going on?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by jcnash
This is an awesome eBay scanner. Ive been using it for over 6 months now with my coupe and works perfectly. Well priced too...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/UPDATABLE-SUPER-C...ht_3454wt_1076
Thanks! I ordered
Old 03-12-2010, 05:00 PM

Happens usually only when the engine is cold...I start the engine and drive out...gear changes are quite rough...and then before the engine temp reaches 60C or so, if I have to stop say at a light, I notice that the car starts vibrating more than usual when stopped.

Once this happens, when the light turns green, I try to move, but notice a serious lack of power....engine revs high (2500-3000) rpm with the car barely moving but engine making a loud noise.

Then all of a sudden, the rpms drop and the car jerks and starts moving normally.

This never happens when the engine has had a chance to warm up to above 60C. Anyone know whats going on?
Doesn't sound like my problem. For me, the jerks happen regardless of the engine temperature, although more common when cold. And the jerk is too brief to notice a lack of power. Finally, my car does not make a loud noise before jerks/during the jerk.

Since I mentioned codes, you don't have codes related to that problem?

Hope you solve your problem!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Doesn't sound like my problem. For me, the jerks happen regardless of the engine temperature, although more common when cold. And the jerk is too brief to notice a lack of power. Finally, my car does not make a loud noise before jerks/during the jerk.

Since I mentioned codes, you don't have codes related to that problem?

Hope you solve your problem!
Nope...no codes for me
Old 05-15-2013, 09:53 AM

2003 Mercedes c320 4matic
ever figure out what the cause of this jerking was. My c320 seems to want to slow down a lot at low speeds downshifting, if i give it light acceleration and "feather" the pedal I can get it to no clunk, but if i push to hard the clunk and jerk occurs. Its the worst at very low speeds like under 15 MPH. And if i am going quick and break hard coming to a stop and let of the brake right away as I stop I can get a clunk also. from a complete stop the car accelerates fine.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:13 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Originally Posted by jawatkins90
ever figure out what the cause of this jerking was. My c320 seems to want to slow down a lot at low speeds downshifting, if i give it light acceleration and "feather" the pedal I can get it to no clunk, but if i push to hard the clunk and jerk occurs. Its the worst at very low speeds like under 15 MPH. And if i am going quick and break hard coming to a stop and let of the brake right away as I stop I can get a clunk also. from a complete stop the car accelerates fine.
Have you inspected the rear suspension?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Suspension.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...m_Bushings.htm

whunter@pelicanparts.com

Old 05-16-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
2005 c230SS
I suggest the following --

First, reset your adaptive transmission memory by using the ignition switch / gas pedal method described in other threads. The coordination between engine and transmission could be off ... this will reset to factory settings.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ssion-ecu.html

Second, consider removing and cleaning the throttle body -- it could be very dirty causing the air flap to stick.

DIY: M271 Throttle Body Cleaning/Getting to and Replacing your TB - MBWorld.org Forums

There is no throttle linkage on these cars ... the throttle is electronic.

The only linkage on the transmission should be the P/R/N/D selector ... if your gear selector is not loose then this should not be the issue.

There is no kickdown lever on the tranny ... that is electronic, so remedy #1 above should take care of that, unless you have issues with the valve body inside the transmission ... that is another story.

Also, how many miles on the car? And when is the last time you changed transmission fluid?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
S211 E350 wagon, w211 e550, 2023 glb250, 2013 Audi q7
I'm getting the jerk and noticed my gear selector moving back and forth, does this have anything to do with my jerk/clunk between 1-2-3? Mostly when cold.
Transmission checks out good on Sds
Originally Posted by jkowtko
I suggest the following --

First, reset your adaptive transmission memory by using the ignition switch / gas pedal method described in other threads. The coordination between engine and transmission could be off ... this will reset to factory settings.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ssion-ecu.html

Second, consider removing and cleaning the throttle body -- it could be very dirty causing the air flap to stick.

DIY: M271 Throttle Body Cleaning/Getting to and Replacing your TB - MBWorld.org Forums

There is no throttle linkage on these cars ... the throttle is electronic.

The only linkage on the transmission should be the P/R/N/D selector ... if your gear selector is not loose then this should not be the issue.

There is no kickdown lever on the tranny ... that is electronic, so remedy #1 above should take care of that, unless you have issues with the valve body inside the transmission ... that is another story.

Also, how many miles on the car? And when is the last time you changed transmission fluid?
Old 03-31-2015, 12:41 AM

E320
Mine is a 1997 E320. PLS…. Did you solve this problem?
I just bought this car, very clean with 60k miles only. Changed the speed sensor as it could not change gears at all. It drove perfectly but I noticed same thing. ONLY as I came to a stop (at speeds of less than 20mph) did it JERK. I went to the guy who fixed it and his COMPUTER showed all is well. HE said there is nothing he could do if the computer did not show a code and that I should just continue driving until a code appears. Problem is the jerking really bothers me. IF anyone has been able to solve this, PLS HELP! I am new here and to the mercedes too. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
S211 E350 wagon, w211 e550, 2023 glb250, 2013 Audi q7
In the dealer now funny thing. There checking it out as I've put up with this long enough. Seems like there is some graphite material when I dropped the pan. So at this point I'm probably looking at some major issues. Not saying you have the same problems, but I'd change the fluid if you haven't already and check the condition of your fluid & also check fluid level to be sure it's correct. (Drive it for about 30-40 mins to get trans fluid up to temp) then check level on level ground of course.
Good luck
Originally Posted by nabea
Mine is a 1997 E320. PLS…. Did you solve this problem?
I just bought this car, very clean with 60k miles only. Changed the speed sensor as it could not change gears at all. It drove perfectly but I noticed same thing. ONLY as I came to a stop (at speeds of less than 20mph) did it JERK. I went to the guy who fixed it and his COMPUTER showed all is well. HE said there is nothing he could do if the computer did not show a code and that I should just continue driving until a code appears. Problem is the jerking really bothers me. IF anyone has been able to solve this, PLS HELP! I am new here and to the mercedes too. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:34 AM

c230 1999 model
My 1999 c230 is jerking. its jerk most time in the morning when I start the car, after the car seem to be warm it reduces, but when driving there seen to be difficulty in accelerating and the car may even go off. but when you start back it looks ok.
But during the day after the has moved a lot it normalizes. I have changed the plugs, look at the plug cable, I have also look at the fuel filter and even change the brain box. I really need help on this?? please!!
Old 03-12-2017, 11:44 AM

2011 ml63
Sorry to jack this thread...but this sounds exactly like the problem I have with my coupe.

Thanks.

I have the same problem with My w163 amg. Have you found out why it does that and have do I fix it.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Jerking / Clunking Problem