C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Oil in Harness, Cam Sensor Leak

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor 6spd & 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4 DblCab 6spd
Originally Posted by Boom vang
what do you think, I am made of money? Especially to replace an under-engineered part? It is probably Made in France knowing my luck

I would say if your driving a Benz, you can afford $100 worth of parts to keep you in it . Canadians... so stingy! $100 now is much better than $3000+ for a new ECU, O2 sensors, etc. later...
Old 01-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"annoyance" and "self-righteousness", amoung others...
Originally Posted by pwcummings
I would say if your driving a Benz, you can afford $100 worth of parts to keep you in it . Canadians... so stingy! $100 now is much better than $3000+ for a new ECU, O2 sensors, etc. later...
+1
look at it as a one time maintainence issue
Old 01-20-2011, 07:57 AM

2005 C230 6spd
I just bought my 05 c230 on Sat. I had read about the cam sensor before purchasing. I knew if the mod hadn't been done yet it would be one of the first things I did to the car. Monday at the dealership the service agent said there were no outstanding recalls or bulletins. I went home and found this thread, then went to the garage and low and behold no update and a tiny bit of oil on the drivers side connector when I pulled it off. Tues morning I called MBUSA and spoke to a representative who was very short and sounded like a broken record about recalls and bulletins bein VIN specific and if my car is not listed I am out of luck. I told her I know 05's have been added on a case by case basis and I would like this matter escalated and looked into further. She said within 24hrs I would hear back with their official response. Well 2 hours later I had a voicemail and my car was added. Going in Thurs for the update, no loaner as they can take time specific appts and it will take less than 2hrs. Thanks to those who have posted about this, great to be apart of this Benz community.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:31 PM

2005 C230 SS, 2000 1.8t Passat, Crown Vic with lights on roof
Originally Posted by HitUpOlas
I just bought my 05 c230 on Sat. I had read about the cam sensor before purchasing. I knew if the mod hadn't been done yet it would be one of the first things I did to the car. Monday at the dealership the service agent said there were no outstanding recalls or bulletins. I went home and found this thread, then went to the garage and low and behold no update and a tiny bit of oil on the drivers side connector when I pulled it off. Tues morning I called MBUSA and spoke to a representative who was very short and sounded like a broken record about recalls and bulletins bein VIN specific and if my car is not listed I am out of luck. I told her I know 05's have been added on a case by case basis and I would like this matter escalated and looked into further. She said within 24hrs I would hear back with their official response. Well 2 hours later I had a voicemail and my car was added. Going in Thurs for the update, no loaner as they can take time specific appts and it will take less than 2hrs. Thanks to those who have posted about this, great to be apart of this Benz community.
persistence pays off...thanks everyone for the good info and advice..
Old 01-25-2011, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
Now what?

I bought the isolation wires and connected them to the magnets, the exhaust cam side was fine but the intake cam magnet had oil in the connector. The connector was damp and inside the magnet connector there was about a drip or 2 of oil.

Not sure how much oil has migrated through the harness or if any damage has been done. Do I leave it alone and hope that this will not cause an issue down the road or is there something I can do. No codes have been tripped other than my Alternator/battery go to workshop despite having a new battery and checking the voltages which are to spec.

Of course we are not covered here in Canada by the general recall for this that is happening south of the border. MB Canada is saying that they are not aware of any problems with this item and hence have no direction from Mercedes AG to institute a recall for this problematic issue. Of course I am more than pissed about this

Last edited by Boom vang; 01-25-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Same crap in SA until the press got hold of it. MBSA is now more - err - understanding.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 AM

2005 C230 6spd
Mercedes of buckhead here in Atlanta did a great job. My intake side had oil in the harness and they changed the whole harness and rear 02 sensor as part of the recall. They gave me an '11 c 300 loaner and washed my car. My service rep gave me great service and updates. $0 and I'm good to go now!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:53 AM

2003 c230 kompressor, 1997 jaguar xk8
So I called MB Canada to see if i could get this dealt with. The girl said that the recalls are passed down from head office in germany and if im not on the list then im out of luck. I said how is it that every 03 c30k in the US had this recall but the same car in canada doesnt have this problem? dont buy a benz in canada is the lesson from this. of all the 05 owners that are getting their vin added, are u all still on warranty?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
I have an '05 C230K and they told me that the '05s were on a case-by-case basis and I was out of luck. I installed the isolation wires myself. It suques but I guess I'm stuck for now. Maybe they will start to leak during my extended warranty!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM

2003 c230 kompressor, 1997 jaguar xk8
Next step for me was to go purchase the parts to resolve problem:
Isolation wires (2), to prevent future leakage, $55 from Mercedes (271-150-27-33)
Cam Sensors (2), to stop the existing leakage, $76 from Mercedes (271-051-01-77)
O-ring (2), installed with cam sensor, $10 from Mercedes (010-997-23-48)
Rubber plugs (2), installed with cam sensor, $5 from Mercedes (271-051-00-32)
O2 sensor, post-cat, $125 from autohaus.az

Total cost: Approx $275

mbonlineparts.com available - $25.88 2710510177 - available - $36.38 0109972348 - available - $4.50 2710510032 - available - $1.88
Old 02-03-2011, 12:34 PM

05 c230K
Originally Posted by Smokphattys
So I called MB Canada to see if i could get this dealt with. The girl said that the recalls are passed down from head office in germany and if im not on the list then im out of luck. I said how is it that every 03 c30k in the US had this recall but the same car in canada doesnt have this problem? dont buy a benz in canada is the lesson from this. of all the 05 owners that are getting their vin added, are u all still on warranty?
No my warranty expired in august 2008
Old 02-03-2011, 06:20 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
Originally Posted by phatboy
I typed an email similar to this:

"i just typed a short letter with the campaign number and my VIN. Then i just explained how the 2005 was the last year for the m271 in the US market and it was unchanged from 2004. Since 2004 will have this same problem and the part numbers are identical, the 2005 should be added to the campaign. ."

You should try it again. They know it's a problem. Don't let it rest. Good Luck

so were you able to get it fixed for free?
they keep tellin me no but since i know for a fact that people here got it fixed, i told them to talk to your manager.
if they say no you just keep complaining?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
GUYS why dont we all file a FORMAL complaint to lemonlaw or BBB?
this is bull****
Old 02-04-2011, 04:58 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
bull

i called yesterday and they said there is no open recall( of course i expected them to say that)
and so like the wise ones on the forum i said review and add my vin.
they called today and said after reviewing they wont add my car to the recall.
1. there is no recall for this vehicle (2005 c 203 kompressor)
2. lack of services on my vehicle.

just because i didnt get my service a service b at the dealer they gona tell me lack of services.

also on this issue the dealer said about 4-5 thousand to fix.
my mechanic qouted me 1600
i declined the service and benz said because you declined services we wont be able to fix your car.
wata joke.
i wrote them a email but to all those who did get it fixed
did you always get everything fixed at benz dealer?
does this matter?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:34 AM

05 c230K
Originally Posted by kiggablaze
did you always get everything fixed at benz dealer?
does this matter?
no, I do all of my own basic maintenance. Oil changes, brakes, spark plugs, etc...
Old 02-05-2011, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
This business about including your car in a recall only if you've been getting service at a dealer is a bunch of crap! The car is either defective or it isn't and they'll either stand behind it or not.

I guess their heart really isn't in supporting their cars. Very disturbing picture, I think.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
Originally Posted by Smokphattys
Perhaps us Canadians need to put pressure on Mercedes AG

Anyone out there can suggest where to send that first email to as I am sure corporate headquarters has many layers in the structure
Old 02-06-2011, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not sure why everyone is calling it a 'cam sensor' because it actually is not one and perhaps is the reason that they(MB Canada) not establishing a problem with this item. It is actually a cam solenoid, a magnet that is activated to adjust the cam for the variable valve timing. The cam position sensor is located in another part of the engine (midway in the head, near cyl 3 ign coil for the intake and between cyl 2 and 3 for the exhaust cam) and is a much smaller part, plastic part

Lets call a spade a spade

Can anyone send me the page (PDF) from the WIS regarding installation of this device?

Last edited by Boom vang; 02-06-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:08 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
TO EVEYRONE WHO GOT IT FIXED

Originally Posted by Leevan
no, I do all of my own basic maintenance. Oil changes, brakes, spark plugs, etc...
yea it is bunch of bull crap
im so disappointed in benz
kind got me to think never buy another benz

TO ALL THOSE WHO GOT IT FIXED
u guys mind sharing VIN numbers?
is that too personal? i dont know

i told them i know bunch of people who got the same car fixed

they said ITS NOT TRUE

WTF do u mean its not true

i wana provide her with list of VIN #s that had the same issue and got it fixed so i can shut her face up

if anyone wana help me please help me
i havent drove my car for 2 weeks now sittin in the drive way
Old 02-07-2011, 05:10 PM

they said ITS NOT TRUE

i wana provide her with list of VIN #s that had the same issue and got it fixed so i can shut her face up

pm SENT....
Old 02-09-2011, 02:16 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
pm SENT....
Ey thanks alot!!!
after 1 phone call with a annoying helpless bia
and 1 polite email with no response.
and another email with VIN number from you
I was able to get my VIN added.
It sounded like the same guy with the same name who said no
Michael hes the service whatever manager

hes the one who said no because he called my dealer, which i went one time because i moved from NY to LA and said they wont fix it because of lack of services and me declinging the work done.
I trust my mech over Benz all day. He only does BMW and Benz n hes German. Real honest man and does it for about 60% cheaper than the dealer.

Anyways thanks guys!!!!! finally can drive my baby
Old 02-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Mercedes C230K 05
Just want to share this stuff again:
1. First it was fixed by MB, and the leak was back around the perimeter of the magnet. Quite annoying to see.
2. So bought the parts and DIY this time.

It seems that the connectors are not leaking but the o-ring isn't doing a good job sealing the magnet to the engine. The rubber plugs are good. No leak here. Installation is not difficult. Only putting the rubber plug is a bit hard. Using a finger to push it in from the sides seem to work. The part people told me that these parts are the best seller. ha ha..

Let's see if it is coming back this time.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:47 AM

c200k
GUYS why dont we all file a FORMAL complaint to lemonlaw or BBB?
this is bull****
Because some like the fake status a Mercedes gives them, as evidenced by those defending paying for the repairs, paying for defective parts, and claiming that people who have Mercedes have money to repair them. That last bit of thinking only exists outside of Germany because here, Mercedes are pretty much like Chevys, but without the reliability. And I'm not kidding.

they said ITS NOT TRUE

If more people actually did that than use it as a threat to get their way with the dealer and with Mercedes, these problems would never exist. However, you have people that think repairs and shelling out money and even shelling out more than the next guy on an internet forum means social status and sophistication. So, Mercedes knows this and keeps on going.

Last edited by sknight; 02-27-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by sknight
Because some like the fake status a Mercedes gives them, as evidenced by those defending paying for the repairs, paying for defective parts, and claiming that people who have Mercedes have money to repair them. That last bit of thinking only exists outside of Germany because here, Mercedes are pretty much like Chevys, but without the reliability. And I'm not kidding.

If more people actually did that than use it as a threat to get their way with the dealer and with Mercedes, these problems would never exist. However, you have people that think repairs and shelling out money and even shelling out more than the next guy on an internet forum means social status and sophistication. So, Mercedes knows this and keeps on going.

Ya well, here in the US and Canada (which is where we are talking about this recall issue) it feels quite a bit more costly to own a Mercedes rather than a ford, or chevy. And the performance you feel is very noticeable, to say the least. I doubt that there are a whole lot of Germans that think chevys are on par with a MB btw... But whatever, your posting in a C-Class forum that's not the current body style bro, do you honestly think we are a bunch of pompous a-holes?

Even so, $100 is not a whole lot of money, most people in MB pay an extra $50-$100 during services for nominal repairs like say to the sunrooofs and whatnot, so ya, I think if you own a MB in the US or Canada, u probably have a bit more disposable income and the knowledge that money spent on preventative maintenence in MB is money well spent. I love the germans, always looking to take shots on the westerners, "How dare you like OUR cars!!" - LOL Its funny because I have a good friend who's german, and when he comes to visit all he wants to do is drive my lifted dodge diesel pickup, takes pictures and emails them to all his friends back home. Claus is a honky at heart. But seriously you got it twisted pretty bad if you think most C-Class owners here are "better than thou" owners thinking they drive high-end luxury cars, your just all wrong man.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 AM

c200k
It's a general assumption that it would be cheaper to own here than it is in the US, and I can tell you, without doubt, it is more expensive here. Germans often complain about that. We also have a 19% tax. It makes it more economical to buy from the US, import, sometimes pay import tariffs, if caught.

Ya well, here in the US and Canada (which is where we are talking about this recall issue) it feels quite a bit more costly to own a Mercedes rather than a ford, or chevy. And the performance you feel is very noticeable, to say the least. I doubt that there are a whole lot of Germans that think chevys are on par with a MB btw... But whatever, your posting in a C-Class forum that's not the current body style bro, do you honestly think we are a bunch of pompous a-holes?

Even so, $100 is not a whole lot of money, most people in MB pay an extra $50-$100 during services for nominal repairs like say to the sunrooofs and whatnot, so ya, I think if you own a MB in the US or Canada, u probably have a bit more disposable income and the knowledge that money spent on preventative maintenence in MB is money well spent. I love the germans, always looking to take shots on the westerners, "How dare you like OUR cars!!" - LOL Its funny because I have a good friend who's german, and when he comes to visit all he wants to do is drive my lifted dodge diesel pickup, takes pictures and emails them to all his friends back home. Claus is a honky at heart. But seriously you got it twisted pretty bad if you think most C-Class owners here are "better than thou" owners thinking they drive high-end luxury cars, your just all wrong man.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Oil in Harness, Cam Sensor Leak