C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

front license plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E350 4matic Sport and 2011 C300 4matic sport
front license plate

I just bought a 2007 C230 from Florida and I live in NJ. We have two plates and there is no place to put the front plate on this car.

What do I do? Thanks.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 c230k
I would just leave it off....Its highly unlikely you will get pulled over just for that. I live in California and by law we do have to have it on, But Ive had mine off for 5 years and haven't been pulled over once for not having it...
Old 05-15-2011, 08:18 PM

2015 E350 4matic Sport and 2011 C300 4matic sport
Thanks...There must be a part I can buy to put it on with but I do not want to drill holes for no good reason...
Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
You can buy a tag holder that goes into the front tow hook bolt.
In VA we have to have a front license plate and many of my friends have tried running with no front plate one has been Lucky no tickets but another has gotten pulled over many times for it. I would say if you do other things that you do not want a cop to know about put it on but if you are like me and have nothing to hide then go for it as long as you can. Sadly it is too late for me since i have a front plate on mine already
Old 05-16-2011, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride
I am in NY where you are required by law to run both a front & back plate. I usually remove the front plate on any vehicle that I feel it detracts from. This includes my C240. That was the first thing I did to it was to remove the plate & the plate mount. I don't run one on my Jeep either since it just gets mangled while rock crawling. My Escalade did not come with the plug that fills the hole in the front bumper where the plate goes so I run both, plus it has vanity plates. I have never been hassled about not having a plate although I know it is an easy stop if they wanted to.
You can order the OEM mount for your car but you will end up making holes in the bumper, of course they are hidden by the mount, but you can never remove it without those ugly holes showing. I would look for the mount suggested above that goes where your tow hook mounts. I like that idea.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
Originally Posted by samaritrey
You can buy a tag holder that goes into the front tow hook bolt.
In VA we have to have a front license plate and many of my friends have tried running with no front plate one has been Lucky no tickets but another has gotten pulled over many times for it. I would say if you do other things that you do not want a cop to know about put it on but if you are like me and have nothing to hide then go for it as long as you can. Sadly it is too late for me since i have a front plate on mine already
yeah VA requires you to have two plates and cops are the biggest a$$holes about it in this state. one of my friends back in high school removed his from the front of his acura legend and just displayed it on his dash for a while. he was cutting through a pedestrian mall where the driveway cuts through and one of the bike cops on the mall stopped him and gave him a ticket for "improper mounting of license plate" or some bs like that. i hate VA cops
Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 AM

05 C230K Sport
Jersey no longer looks for things like this at inspection, emissions only, so they have put pressure on the cops to ticket for it, create revenue for a broke state. I bought at plate holder at auto zone for 5 dollars and zip tied it to the mesh grille down by the pass fog light, idk if it is legal due to how low it is to the ground but I figure it's better than no tag at all. at least I tried. and it doesn't look bad.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
Ok...to the OP, you can go to a dealer and get a front plate bracket and mount it like it is supposed to. I'm not sure what the cost is, however, I have seen some dealers that would provide them if the car was brought from out of state. Otherwise, I'd guess about 30-40 bucks. You want to mount it on the car, like you are supposed to and I applaud that.

Second, "soapbox on", just so you are aware I am about to make almost everyone mad that lives in a state with front plates -- some people may not want to read any further.

Everyone in states that require front plates, just put your front plate on your car and stop whining about how it detracts from the cars' looks, or that you don't like it, or that you got a ticket for not having it.

If you don't like it that much, then talk to the legislators in your state and get it changes. There are plenty of reasons (cost, need, etc) to do away with it. Other states have done away with it. But until where you have chosen to live stops requiring it, just deal. I live in a state that does not require them, and I don't have them, if I move to a state that does then I will drill holes in my bumper and have one.

I just don't get all this complaining about them or driving without it and then feeling that the cop was personally targeting you. It isn't about revenue, it isn't about looks, it is simply that someone made a rule and until you get it changed, if you break it, you are taking your chances on getting punished for it. It's not like you didn't know it would catch up with you eventually.

Ok, we all know one of my pet peeves now. "Soapbox Off" Maybe I should duck for cover??
Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 PM

05 C230K Sport
to MW_ATL
I'm not sure if your post was directed at me or not, and I'm not looking to start an argument in my third post on this site, so I will try to clear something up without being malicious. if I was going to complain about a law in nj it would be the "nothing more than factory tint on front windows" way before the front plate. however it is 100% financially driven, our state inspection is now emissions only and police throughout the state have now received a manual explaining all car inspection related laws, now they can write tickets instead of pay people to inspect. and lastly, your definition of mounting a plate "right" differs from mine, I would say that the cheapest way of mounting it without doing permanent damage to the car would be the most correct way, spending 40 dollars to have the stealership drill holes in my car, or five bucks on a mounting plate and zip ties that can be removed at any time? no brainer to me. again, no malicious intent, just simply my opinions, which I thought was the point on forums like this.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:25 PM

2007 c230
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...Q5fAccessories
Old 06-03-2011, 12:23 AM

'13 F10 535i / '05 W211 E55
just put the license plate on the tow-hook of the front bumper. you can take it off easily and it won't leave holes on the bumper. the brackets are relatively easy to install.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
i need to put mine on this weekend just so i can show the coppers for my fix it ticket,
was thinking of just zip tying to the front mesh

any other temp options???
Old 06-03-2011, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by MW_ATL
Ok...to the OP, you can go to a dealer and get a front plate bracket and mount it like it is supposed to. I'm not sure what the cost is, however, I have seen some dealers that would provide them if the car was brought from out of state. Otherwise, I'd guess about 30-40 bucks. You want to mount it on the car, like you are supposed to and I applaud that.

Second, "soapbox on", just so you are aware I am about to make almost everyone mad that lives in a state with front plates -- some people may not want to read any further.

Everyone in states that require front plates, just put your front plate on your car and stop whining about how it detracts from the cars' looks, or that you don't like it, or that you got a ticket for not having it.

If you don't like it that much, then talk to the legislators in your state and get it changes. There are plenty of reasons (cost, need, etc) to do away with it. Other states have done away with it. But until where you have chosen to live stops requiring it, just deal. I live in a state that does not require them, and I don't have them, if I move to a state that does then I will drill holes in my bumper and have one.

I just don't get all this complaining about them or driving without it and then feeling that the cop was personally targeting you. It isn't about revenue, it isn't about looks, it is simply that someone made a rule and until you get it changed, if you break it, you are taking your chances on getting punished for it. It's not like you didn't know it would catch up with you eventually.

Ok, we all know one of my pet peeves now. "Soapbox Off" Maybe I should duck for cover??
+1
My car did not have a front plate when i got it so sadly it now has the Mercedes mount on the front.
I understand that it is a law and that i must face the consequences if i don't follow it.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:22 AM

2002 C240 (SOLD), 2006 E350
Originally Posted by bigspender101
I would just leave it off....Its highly unlikely you will get pulled over just for that. I live in California and by law we do have to have it on, But Ive had mine off for 5 years and haven't been pulled over once for not having it...
We can't have euro plates in the front huh...even if they have the same characters as the one issued to us by the DMV. I already know that the back needs to be the original plates.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
There is a front license plate plastic panel. Search mercedes plate holder on ebay. I bought one on eBay the other for hella cheap.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:00 PM

Correction, Drove An '05 C230 Kompressor SS
Originally Posted by sts15
I just bought a 2007 C230 from Florida and I live in NJ. We have two plates and there is no place to put the front plate on this car.

What do I do? Thanks.
I have an OEM front plate bracket still in the plastic that came with my C230.
It was in the spare tire well all tucked away.
I have no use for it here in Florida.... So, If you want it.... Pay just shipping and it's yours!!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
Originally Posted by drtyjrzy
to MW_ATL
I'm not sure if your post was directed at me or not, and I'm not looking to start an argument in my third post on this site, so I will try to clear something up without being malicious.
Not intended to be aimed at you by any means at all. I *hate* front plates. I also think the states manage to come up with some very silly laws, and New Jersey is as good at it as any other state.

As far as how to mount the plate, that's up to each owner, however, unless I was going to be leaving the state in the near future, I can't imagine why you would want to use zip ties, etc. Although front plate brackets are distasteful, if the car is going to spend it's life in a front plate required home, might as well - it matches the curve of the bumper, looks as well as it can, etc.

But, like many other options, a car only has to make its owner happy. Sorry if you took it directed at your post -- it surely wasn't meant to be aimed at anyone in general, just a venting of my thoughts.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:42 PM

2005 320 4Matic
Originally Posted by C230 Mulac
yeah VA requires you to have two plates and cops are the biggest a$$holes about it in this state. one of my friends back in high school removed his from the front of his acura legend and just displayed it on his dash for a while. he was cutting through a pedestrian mall where the driveway cuts through and one of the bike cops on the mall stopped him and gave him a ticket for "improper mounting of license plate" or some bs like that. i hate VA cops
VA state troopers and FFX County police are no one's friends.

I had a VA state trooper pull me over just past the mixing bowl (Just before Franconia/Van Dorn) and yell at me for 5 min, about how my driving was going to be a felony conviction and that I'd have to go to jail... and then he let me go because I had a +5 license.

But back to the topic at hand...

This looks promising for a license plate holder.

http://www.moweraxle.com/
Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

just zip tied my plate to the mesh lower grill, off to sheriffs office in van nuys to get reamed
Old 06-06-2011, 03:39 PM

Nowhere ...Fast
still deciding what i am going to fanagle with mine...it just sucks having a dual plate requirement!
Attached Thumbnails front license plate-2011-05-26_16-10-26_649.jpg  
Old 06-06-2011, 07:06 PM

2005 320 4Matic
Honestly, that whole thing with the tow-hitch doesn't sound bad... You can take the plate off on track days and/or at meetups w/ no holes to drill.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sheriff signed off on my zip ties, tho he did say to get it bolted in.....cutting it off now
Old 07-15-2015, 01:26 AM

Mercedes C230 sport
Hi my name is ilvir and i'm from New York

Do you still have the OEM front plate bracket for Mercedes C230 2007 Sport?

Please let me know?

My E-mail: ilvir_k@hotmail.com