C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Sirius SAT all of a sudden working?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Sirius SAT all of a sudden working?

My 2007 C350 has the Sirius tuner built in as part of the HK/Entertainment package option. When I bought the car back in January, I tried to explore the SAT features, but every time I hit the SAT soft button, it just said 'ACQUIRING". I could hit a button and get the ESN, but that was about it. I could let it sit there for 5 minutes and nothing would change. I figured the subscription was not active.

In the back of my head, I was still curious whether this was normal behavior or if there was a glitch in my configuration or equipment. I was going to call Sirius and ask them if there was a way to test the equipment, ie: free trial, etc., but I never got around to it.

Well, today I was on my way to work and I accidentally hit the SAT soft button and it immediately (with just a couple seconds delay) went to a programming feed, with some talking on it. Hmm. I tried some other channels and it seems that I am getting programing all of a sudden. I tried at least 20 channels and they were all playing music.

I got to work and checked on the internet to see if SiriusXM has some type of promotion going on, but I couldn't find anything.

So now I am really curious. Was my SAT tuner just on the fritz earllier and it decided to work today? Have I had a subscription (left over from the previous owner) this whole time? Is there a glitch in the Sirius system that is allowing me free programming? Is there some promotion that I am not aware of?

Anyone else out there with the Sirius but no active subscription seeing this?

Last edited by billbillw; 06-08-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 ML350
Bill, when i activated the Sirius tuner in my car, I also bought one of the FM modulated plug and play units that i figured i would use one day. Never did/never activated it after the free month or so they gave with it.

HOWEVER, I recieved a letter from Sirius last week that said they were going activate that unit for a 2 or 3 month free trial. Basically a campaign to bring de-activated units back on line.

This could explain your situation. I would surmise the unit in your car was active prior to your purchase and the previous owner recieved the letter.

Enjoy it while it lasts !!

Greg
Old 06-08-2011, 11:44 AM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
That probably explains it, although I couldn't find any talk about that campaign on the various Sirius discussion forums or on the Sirius website.

I printed out a programming sheet and will enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:53 PM

2013 ML350
Originally Posted by billbillw
That probably explains it, although I couldn't find any talk about that campaign on the various Sirius discussion forums or on the Sirius website.

I printed out a programming sheet and will enjoy it while it lasts.
Cool. I have the letter at the house. If you want I can scan it and e-mail to ya. Let me kow. Thx Greg
Old 06-08-2011, 02:47 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by glocati
Cool. I have the letter at the house. If you want I can scan it and e-mail to ya. Let me kow. Thx Greg
Is there anything in the letter that I need to know? Discount offer, etc? If not, then I probably don't need a copy.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:08 PM

2013 ML350
Is there anything in the letter that I need to know? Discount offer, etc? If not, then I probably don't need a copy.
Letter states that you get a two week free listening period and you can get an additional 5 months for $25. Just call 1 866 463 5106 before June 30. You will need to supply your ESN.

Then, they hope you're hooked and you probably go to the regular rates. I have the everything channel list at ~$12.00 per month.

Here's a link to the promo

www.siriusxm.com/listen3

Last edited by glocati; 06-08-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
When I added Sirius to my car, the radio actually said I needed to call Sirius to activate. My radio only says acquiring when it can't find a signal.

What do you think about the sound quality? I installed Sirius is my Trailblazer and my C55 and I think the sound quality is bad and I haven't even been listening to it!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:58 AM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by 91RS
When I added Sirius to my car, the radio actually said I needed to call Sirius to activate. My radio only says acquiring when it can't find a signal.

What do you think about the sound quality? I installed Sirius is my Trailblazer and my C55 and I think the sound quality is bad and I haven't even been listening to it!
I agree the sound quality is pretty bad. I'm not sure I would even pay $25 for 5 months. Even my worst quality MP3s on the Ipod sound better than the Sirius feed.

BTW, I looked at the promo link that Glocati provided. I can tell you I'm getting much more than those 60 channels listed with that promo and the cutoff was supposed to be June 6. I didn't even notice it working until the 8th. Either they are giving more away for free, or I'm getting something else.

Last edited by billbillw; 06-09-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
The sound quality in a Mercedes is fully digital, directly injected onto the fiber loop (if it is controlled by the COMAND at least). The signal from Sirius is a Variable Bit Rate (VBR) that equals the same as 128kbps music (what most MP3 are at). Therefore the sound quality is very good, but not audiophile perfect. Contrasted to FM, which is highly compressed and suffers all kinds of analog signal problems of about 32kbps.
If your a very critical listener (audiophile), then you may be picking up perceived sound system likes or dislikes, but the sound is very good on the music stations. They reduce the bit rate on the talk stations for obvious reasons...it does not matter much there.

So if you have sound quality issues, you have something wrong with an installation. If you used a non-Mercedes tuner or non-iTronic SAT - then it is a problem with the tuner and install - as the Mercedes and iTronic are direct digital fiber optic injection. No chance for noise and the bit rate from Sirius is a complex multiplexed bit rate that varies depending on channel demand.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:32 AM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by Cartronics
The sound quality in a Mercedes is fully digital, directly injected onto the fiber loop (if it is controlled by the COMAND at least). The signal from Sirius is a Variable Bit Rate (VBR) that equals the same as 128kbps music (what most MP3 are at). Therefore the sound quality is very good, but not audiophile perfect. Contrasted to FM, which is highly compressed and suffers all kinds of analog signal problems of about 32kbps.
If your a very critical listener (audiophile), then you may be picking up perceived sound system likes or dislikes, but the sound is very good on the music stations. They reduce the bit rate on the talk stations for obvious reasons...it does not matter much there.

So if you have sound quality issues, you have something wrong with an installation. If you used a non-Mercedes tuner or non-iTronic SAT - then it is a problem with the tuner and install - as the Mercedes and iTronic are direct digital fiber optic injection. No chance for noise and the bit rate from Sirius is a complex multiplexed bit rate that varies depending on channel demand.
I am a critical listener or audiophile as you might say. Mine is a factory install so I assume the quality is as good as it gets.

Despite what you are saying, my ears tell me, the sound quality is nowhere near as good as most of my MP3s. 128kbps is the lowest quality of my collection, most are higher.

Also, in my area FM quality is also better than average and I tend to listen to better quality stations (ie: public radio, NPR, and jazz stations that pride themselves for sound quality). However, even the worst sounding FM stations still sound better to me.

The Sirius feed just has an over modulated compressed sound. I hear it on every station that I've tried. The Jazz and Classical were almost listenable, but the treble was ruined by compression/modulation. It just doesn't have a natural sound.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:26 PM

2013 ML350
I agree the sound quality is pretty bad. I'm not sure I would even pay $25 for 5 months. Even my worst quality MP3s on the Ipod sound better than the Sirius feed.

BTW, I looked at the promo link that Glocati provided. I can tell you I'm getting much more than those 60 channels listed with that promo and the cutoff was supposed to be June 6. I didn't even notice it working until the 8th. Either they are giving more away for free, or I'm getting something else.
Interesting. I noticed you were active past their promotional period, so don't know what to tell ya. Seemed like a plausible reason as to why it suddenly worked. Either way, free is good price. As 91rs noted, when doing an intial activation, the unit will merely say call sirius at 1-xxx -xxx-xxxx until you activate so it is indeed odd that yours suddenly came to life. Recently my antenna went bad and the unit kept displaying "acquiring" which they will do when out of range. Used a mag mount until I installed a new roof mount antenna.

When I activated mine it had 6 months left on the initial subscription, which apparently follows the unit and not the previous owner.

As an FYI, my SAT audio is decent. Nothing to write home about, but it is not bad. Better than FM but lesser than CD, IMO. I am using the older D2B style tuner (pre 05 MY used the D2B versus the newer MOST style tuners ) with a Benz roof mount antenna that receives both terestrial repeated and Sat signals. I think the mag mount antennas do the same, but not sure.

Anyhow, enjoy your "magic" free subscription while it lasts.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Originally Posted by Cartronics

I'm using a factory Sirius box in my car and I also installed a Sirius Connect (factory interface) unit in my Trailblazer at almost the same time and they both sound bad. I've listened to 128kbps MP3s on my iPod in the Mercedes and Sirius does not sound as good as that. It's almost tolerable at a "normal" listening level, but if I want it loud it is unlistenable. The FM stations around here all sound better than Sirius.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:04 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Well, I finally have an explanation as to why my Sirius started working. I just got a letter in the mail from Sirius XM saying that I am receiving a 3-month free trial to introduce me to the service in my 'new car'. It had my ESN listed and everything. They somehow found out from Mercedes that I purchased the car and activated it. The letter was dated June 16th. Took more than 3 weeks to get it?

I'm guessing that Sirius found from when I joined the Mercedes Owners Club and Mercedes update the car to be in my name. I guess I'll probably have it until the end of summer. Still not impressed by the quality and would not pay for it.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E350, 2006 C350 Sport(made it to 280k, loved it!), 1990 300E
Sirius is eager for our business so it makes sense for them to offer this promotion. I have been a Sirius subscriber since I bought the car but otherwise would not consider the subscription. It works for me to have choices because terrestial radio is slim pickings in NE PA. I agree sound quality isn't the best but it works for me.