C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

BAS/ESP warning light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240
BAS/ESP warning light

Lemon Law review envoked on this car in the State of Florida. Today, my 2002 C240 goes in for it's last service to fix this problem. BAS/ESP malfunction light goes off almost daily. It has been in for service four times. Now, MBUSA and MB Fort Lauderdale have 10 days to fix this problem forever.

Other issues:
Sunroof would not close, required two trips to the dealer to fix a "timing" issue.
On a long drive One Xenon buld went out mysteriously for several hours, only to come on again when the car was restarted after refueling.
Car was delivered with swirl marks all over the exterior Capri blue paint. MB Fort Lauderdale agreed and rebuffed it.
TeleAidd has proven to be both useless and stupid. Was told to pull over and buy a headlight at a gas station on I95 in South Carolina. When I told him that I had Xenon bulbs, he said that I should buy a regular bulb and sue that.

-2002 C240 (lots of problems)
-2000 Audi A4 1.8T (no problems)
Old 02-14-2002, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Sorry to hear about your problems. I've also got a Capri blue 2002 C240 which was delivered last August. It also has swirl marks all over, but liveable. What did they do to correct yours? Did it turn out "perfect" and was it worth the hassle? I'm hesitant to have them do anything about it.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:17 AM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Re: BAS/ESP warning light

Originally posted by chapter
Lemon Law review envoked on this car in the State of Florida. Today, my 2002 C240 goes in for it's last service to fix this problem. BAS/ESP malfunction light goes off almost daily. It has been in for service four times. Now, MBUSA and MB Fort Lauderdale have 10 days to fix this problem forever.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the invoking of your legal options will force them to replace the electronic parts that are causing this problem. Just a pity it took getting to that level. Good luck with the outcome.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:06 PM

C240
lemon law follow up

The C240 was at MB Fort Lauderdale service for 2 days. They had several people work on it and they replaced a brake master, control unit, sender unit and brake fluid. All of these things they could have done when I first brought the car in for the BAS/ESP failures 2 months ago. I had an awful '01 Toyota Camary loaner.

It seems the only way to get MB Fort Lauderdale to get seriuos about fixing a recurring a problem is to write:
MBUSA, AutoNation, J.D. Power.

Today, 5 days later, I had the Left Low Beam Out warning come on again. When I stopped and restarted the car, the Xenon bulb and light came back on.

I can honestly say that of the 5 cars I have owned in the last seven years, this has been the most problematic.
00 PassatV6
99 Passat GLS
97 Pathfinder
95 Jeep Cherokee
91 Toyota Tercel

PS, they had previously buffed the swirl marks out, however their "VIP COURTESY HAND WASH" put the swirl marks back in. NEVER LET ANYONE/ANYTHING WASH YOUR CAR, except you, using the proper procedures!
Old 02-19-2002, 09:35 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Oh, It's an AutoNation dealer?!?!?

They just renamed themselves "Courtesy Auto" to try to hide from all their previous bad rap. They also just purchased the Orlando MB Dealer.

Sigh... that explains a lot...
Old 02-21-2002, 06:47 PM

C240
LEMON! Now the '02 C240 stalls

On the way to work....Entering an onramp, traffic stopped. I stop. Car stalls.

On the way home, stop in traffic on I95 and Car Stalls.

Also now, I notice that the car hesitates on accelaeration and it idles different.

SO Word is out... I have a lemon 2002 C240 I bought at MB Fort Lauderdale. And MB Fort Lauderdale only cares when MBUSA forces them to fix the problem on the 4th try and under lemon law threat.

HELP! What do I do.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Oh, Chapter, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I totally understand. I had a VW that was a lemon. I would encourage you to push through with a lemon law case if you qualify for the FL lemon law.

I'm not sure where you are with the lemon law and your car, but I thought I would tell you my story and pass on some words of advice.

I checked out the lemon law, went to arbitration and lost (turned out that the arbtration process is paid for by the car makers in CA) and finally after all that, hired a lawyer. 4 weeks (and very little headache after I hired the lawyer), VW settled. I got all my money back but $800 and my car had 20,000 miles on it. I even got my interest and prorated registration back. My other choice was to get a new car, but I did not want another VW.

As a note, I paid my lawyer $500 total, part of the settlement deal was that VW paid the rest. It was a great deal for me, but not worth the headache.

Let me be clear on the parmount issue here, VW blew me off (at the dealership and corporate level) until I hired a lawyer. Threats did not work, being nice did not work, nothing worked, but hiring a lawyer.

As I learned law suits are part of the car business, car makers expect them. It's pretty uncool of them, but I guess it is cheaper for them to ignore people and then just deal with people who don't give up. ( I wish I hired the lawyer first, not last. That was my lesson. ) Benz mostly likely has the same policy. Be persistant. Don't let them wear you down, because they will try.

Just think about it, dealing with a lemon law case is no more trouble than dealing with a lemon of a car. And the best part is when you win, you get to buy a new car.

The law is different in FL than CA, so you should look at the law there, see if you meet the requirements, and start a process either with a lawyer or arbitration. I think the FL law is actually stronger, suprisingly CA is pretty weak.

I'm not a lawyer, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Good luck! Hang in there.

Cheers,

Beth