C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Help with sound system upgrade..

Old 07-01-2003, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K
Originally posted by TPL230
Hi Tim,

I live in Northern CA. I think I paid around $1000 -- $1200. I could have paid less with different components. The Quarts would have been cheaper, as would a different amp.

BTW I posted to his forum last year to ask about upgrading without swapping out the HU -- I was told I would get nowhere if I didn't replace the HU, or at least get the Audio 10. I also got slammed because the sound system in my other car (BMW Hardon Kardon) sounded good enough to me that I would have been happy to replicate that level of quality in the C230K if possible. I still the the HK system sounds fine, and I personally think nearly anything is an improvement over the stock MB sound system.

I did go out of my way to get a model *without* BOSE, as once you do it's harder to make any headway as far as upgrades go.

I am happy with the results I got for the money spent -- though many people on this forum wouldn't be. Good luck with your decision!
It always boils down to what you like. I like the Harmon Kardon systems myself. My dad and brother both have had BMW's. It's all about personaly taste. I like to go all out. If you are talking technically, then yes, it is a lot better to replace the head unit because that's where it all starts. If you don't want to do that then there are always other alternatives. However, you will never get the same sound as you would with a new HU.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:37 PM

1988 560SL (Sold)
Originally posted by TPL230
Hi Tim,

I live in Northern CA. I think I paid around $1000 -- $1200. I could have paid less with different components. The Quarts would have been cheaper, as would a different amp.

BTW I posted to his forum last year to ask about upgrading without swapping out the HU -- I was told I would get nowhere if I didn't replace the HU, or at least get the Audio 10. I also got slammed because the sound system in my other car (BMW Hardon Kardon) sounded good enough to me that I would have been happy to replicate that level of quality in the C230K if possible. I still the the HK system sounds fine, and I personally think nearly anything is an improvement over the stock MB sound system.

I did go out of my way to get a model *without* BOSE, as once you do it's harder to make any headway as far as upgrades go.

I am happy with the results I got for the money spent -- though many people on this forum wouldn't be. Good luck with your decision!
Thanks for the quick response. I definitely hear you about people telling you that you MUST replace the HU.

I will keep looking!

Tim
Old 07-14-2003, 12:30 AM

CLK 350 convertible
Re: well....

Originally posted by webbersworld
I'd like to spend like 500-600 dollars on this whole thing.

Search "Dragon" in this forum.

I have posted some picture after the HU has been changed.

Is this budget enough to get me some great sound or not really?

If 600 dollars isnt enough maybe I will wait a month or so and save up a bit.

The man at Circuit City said if I really want to get speakers then he recommends Infinity. But I would still love to know what you all think I should get- trust me- I'll take your word over the circuit city guy ANY DAY!

Ben
Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 PM

ML350
Clarification

OK Guys, lots of real good info! need the eighth grade version- I want to upgrade the sound system in my 2010 ML- I dont want to get crazy just something similar to the Mark Levinson thats in my Lexus LS430. What should I buy and replace? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02' C230 Coupe & 92' 190e 2.6
hey man i havent really posted much here but ill tell you what i have in my 02 coupe and i did all the work myself and quite frankly it sounds awesome

H/U- Kenwood X994
Front - speakers Focal 165Vb Polyglass
rear- speakers Focal 165ca
Amp - Kenwood XR4S
Monster 16GA speaker wire rerun throughout the car
and some reggie rca cables

for the radio / amp you can go onto www.kenwoodusa.com
speakers www.focal-america.com

anymore questions feel free to p/m me

and i picked up everything at 6th ave electronics pretty sweet place for audio
www.6ave.com

soon im going to upgrade to the focal solid amps i hear their amazing

and p.s if you dont have bose or harmon kardon changing the radio is as easy as 1.2.3. itll take 20 mins to do you need some metra kits you can find it at http://www.metraonline.com/

Last edited by kmancoupe230; 03-01-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:58 AM

'05 c230 Kompressor SS Mistress
shoot glyn m ruck a pm nd he can help
very much
Old 07-29-2014, 05:00 PM

2003 C230K Coupe
2003 C230k coupe - stock HU, want amp&sub

Hey guys, old thread but seems most relevant to my question (i'm not about starting new threads when pre-existing ones are around). Bought an 03 c230k coupe. Non-bose with CD changer in glove box. This is my second 2003 C230k coupe.

In my first one, i had existing equipment and simply added in my 4 way amp (375w per channel) and added in a 12" sub. Everything else remained stock (speakers and HU). The guy who installed it didn't use the other 2 channels on the amp to power any of the speakers (can't remember his reasoning). 2 channels were bridged to sub. I really LOVED the sound and was perfect for me, even with stock HU and speakers.

For my second c230 coupe, I am looking to do the same (keep HU and speakers and add in amp + sub). I'm looking for suggestions on a set up for this or anyone who has done this before.
- Is it correct that without replacing the stock speakers, adding any power amp to those speakers would not be worth it? Even if it was only using 2 channels to power the front two speakers and bridging the other two for the sub?
- Sub suggestion for a 10" or 12" sub (am interested in space saving subs too)?
- Amp suggestion (based on your opinion on sub only or powering stock speakers)?

Thanks guys

Last edited by Green Machine; 07-29-2014 at 05:04 PM.