C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

CD Changer No Magazine fix

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220 cdi 2001
Originally Posted by C230 Sport Coup
I have about 6 extra cartridges if anyone needs them for a small fee of course.
Sadly, I gave up on the CD changer.
My car just refused to acknowledge it's existance.
I swapped the changer, and put the radio back to stock and no luck.
Even swapped the optical cable, no luck,

I have a CD changer also but no way to test it to be sure it functions properly though I tested both of them way back and they both were OK.
Can i buy a cartridge from you
Old 04-13-2014, 10:54 AM

ML350
Originally Posted by SteveAustin
Update: I was told by the service department to hold eject and hit the magazine cartridge Fonz-style with the handle of a screw driver. Could save a lot of time disassembling this thing.
I did this one and it worked for me!
Old 05-10-2014, 01:54 PM

2002 MB C240
Update: I was told by the service department to hold eject and hit the magazine cartridge Fonz-style with the handle of a screw driver. Could save a lot of time disassembling this thing.

This worked! Thanks!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:28 PM

2005 C230 Sport
Cartridge available still?

I'd be interested in one of those cartridges if you still have any. Thanks, Jim

-----

Originally Posted by C230 Sport Coup
I have about 6 extra cartridges if anyone needs them for a small fee of course.
Sadly, I gave up on the CD changer.
My car just refused to acknowledge it's existance.
I swapped the changer, and put the radio back to stock and no luck.
Even swapped the optical cable, no luck,

I have a CD changer also but no way to test it to be sure it functions properly though I tested both of them way back and they both were OK.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:17 AM

c180 merecedes
Talking fantastic

lol as soon as i read your post i went ahead to do it since it sounded so practical and easy, however, i didn't use a screwdriver head i just used one of my fingers and guess what, IT WORKED lol thanks a lot for your post as i had already thought of how it was going to cost me a fortune to change it lol.....THANK YOU!
Old 06-20-2014, 02:00 PM

SL500
My CD Player in my SL500 was a regular pain in the you know what, took you advise took it all apart and a couple of Founzie taps and now it works fine, also hit my Head a couple of times on the Trunk lid hings help me too.
Keep up the good advice save myself some money.
Thanks Whiterockboy from Canada
Old 01-11-2015, 12:24 AM

CLK350
Smile wdaf

CLK 350 2007 CD changer not responding (No CDC) Would not eject with green button or with Fonzi. Located the 10 Amp fuse in trunk position 20, pulled it and stuck it back in, and everything works. Probably Rotorua sulphur got at the contacts.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:24 PM

c32 amg
an additional problem

I did exactly as instructed and the CD changer started to work in my 2002 C32 AMG. However after I put everything back together, the Radio's sound was not functioning, the tape deck would work but I could hear no sound, and the CD changer would only eject. I took it out again and rechecked everything and put everything back together once again. Same problem, no sound coming out of radio or tape, and only eject button works on the CD tray. Any idea what is going on? Perhaps I blew a fuse or something minor? I know this radio has anti-theft but not sure if that was triggered. I see no error messages in the car. Thanks,
Andy T
Old 03-04-2015, 01:31 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Mine does that once in a while, find the fuse map and unplug then plug back any fuses related to the audio system. Afaik that may be the amp acting up.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:30 AM

Mercedes 280 CLK
280 CLK CD Changer

andy T:-

I found that when the power supply connection at the rear of the CD changer is out, (three cables in to one connector) there is no sound from the system at all - radio, CD or Tape.

Check that you have reconnected the plugs properly at the rear of the unit and check the fuse on the power supply to the CD changer - located in the boot (trunk if you are in USA).

I had the "No Changer" error for over 12 months - used ipod instead. Had a couple of hours to spare the other day - stripped it all out as per advice above.

None of the tricks mentioned worked, but I gently forced the black cogged wheel peeping out at the rear underside on the unit to rotate - and the whole thing came back to life! I rediscovered four CD's I hadn't been able to play for over a year.

CD changer working OK again - seems a bit noisier than before - or perhaps I am just listening to it harder!
Old 05-30-2015, 10:12 PM

C320
Hi, Thanks Mate, worked out fantastic. Cheers
Old 07-13-2015, 04:04 PM

2002 clk430
I just fixed my changer (we'll see how long it lasts) by removing the cartridge, and removing each cd, and then putting it in empty. After that I removed it and put in one CD, and then removed it and added all the others and it seems to be working now.

The smacking the unit didn't work, and I didn't want to start taking it apart until I'd worked through the other fixes. My fingers are crossed hoping this lasts.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
Did everything but pull the unit apart...don't like to really do that until I have a spare...

Anyway, there is a thin black arm/tray to the right of the magazine and a thin wire form behind it...just doesn't want to budge...

I'll see if I can reach that cam arm from the front...

Any tips?
Old 08-22-2015, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 w203 C230
Tray 4 was badly warped in two spots. Just got the magazine out...used small thin and long flat blade to work the stamped steel slots and follower coated in white grease to the far right of magazine behind door...worked the follower tab left and down while asking for it to eject...and by helping it, it popped it out...now need new magazine.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:57 PM

ML320
Originally Posted by patrickonukwugh
lol as soon as i read your post i went ahead to do it since it sounded so practical and easy, however, i didn't use a screwdriver head i just used one of my fingers and guess what, IT WORKED lol thanks a lot for your post as i had already thought of how it was going to cost me a fortune to change it lol.....THANK YOU!
I used rubber mullet to bang on the floating CD player mechanism during CD loading process and it STARTED WORKING!!!
Old 12-08-2015, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
Yeah this thread saved me much $$. Banged on it twice with a rubber mallet and the offending cartridge popped right out and then subsequently worked just fine.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 w203 C230
Don't want to hit it...has to be a REASON...

Okay...so I bought a new cd magazine after having the fourth tray jam...thought it was the tray.

Nope, brand new OEM magazine jammed up...tray 3 this time, not 4.

Got it out by prying up slightly on the stuck tray with a rounded flat tool...popped right out.
Installed empty old magazine, foolishly without "resetting" the internal mechanism...it jammed HARD and fast, seems like the trays were not located or oriented to the changer/magazine, I did't let it cycle and find home/rest. It was stuck. Reset all trays, pushed in the stuck tray 1....still no eject. So, looking at bottom of other magazine, I slid a thin long plastic ruler under magazine to try and "unlock" the bottom hook-Wala it released.

Now, I have fuse 24 which is dedicated to the CD changer and fuse 26 for the Sound System. Car off, key out, I removed both fuses....look fine. I can clean the blades, but come on-what is that going to do!?!

When you all have had success, what sequence are you doing/how are you removing the fuses? Under power? No power? How are you re-powering etc. just want to match your sequence.

Next step would be to pull the whole changer all out, crack it open and manually look for jamming culprit....if it is mechanical...the mechanism seems to work well...until it jams!

I HAVE SEEN online that everyone with an ALPINE unit (BMW, Honda, Range Rover, etc.) has this problem!!! I have seen that the one repair most common is a drive motor worm gear pulls away from it's mating cog gear. My unit has plenty of torque when trying to eject...just not sure why it's jamming. I have also seen the upper grab arm can get jammed...and a lot of people tear it apart, strip old grease and re-lubricate...

I had the mechanism go up and down multiple times with no issues, and "tricked it" into thinking it might be loaded by swinging the hook (on bottom back, which I manually released with ruler earlier) to sequence the elevator drive up and down... still can show "NO CDC" and/or "DRIVE ERROR" with the occasional "No Magazine"...

So, fuses, how are you pulling them, when are you reintroducing power?
Anyone that found a good FIX to this, please post.
Attached Thumbnails CD Changer No Magazine fix-drive_error.jpg  
Old 02-01-2016, 01:40 PM

2005 C230 Sport
This is awesome. Just did this to my CD changer that has been stuck for 1 year and the magazine came right out. Thanks

Removed all the CD's in the magazine, and placed one CD in tray 1. Music started to play. But when I switched back to radio, and then switched back to CDC, I got the CDC error. Pressed eject and the magazine got jammed again. Did the " Fonzi " with a small rubber mallet, and the magazine slid out.

Last edited by Roger161; 02-01-2016 at 01:52 PM. Reason: additional 411
Old 08-19-2016, 10:25 AM

1986 190e 2.3
the fonz worked for my no magazine
Old 11-27-2016, 05:21 PM

2003 MB C240
Talking Fonz worked for me today

My C240 was giving me the "No CD Changer" message. Cartridge would not eject. Eject button would blink green twice and then nothing.
With power on, I tapped the cartridge with the end of the handle of a small hammer. The changer immediately began making the sounds of CD's being moved around. I waited for it to stop and then pressed the CD button on the radio panel. It played!

You guys are the greatest!
Old 12-01-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
2005 C55, the CD cartridge was jammed did the "Fonzi" thing. Popped right out. Now it just shows "Magazine Scanning" message with a timer. Does anyone know how long it will take to scan and possibly start working again? Got tired of sitting there.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:20 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Got it working
Old 12-15-2016, 11:07 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Now its jammed again, with CD one stuck in the play position. Tried the Fonz method again, nothing. Has anyone ever replaced the CD cartridge player with a new aftermarket one? This thing not working really annoys me, I use it a lot. Also, I'm very surprised the Harmon Kardon doesn't sound better. Its not as full and clear as I thought it would be.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:09 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Ok, took it apart as described in the OP post. Plugged it back in and it fired right up. Had it change CD's and it grabbed the next one and the CD changer slipped in my hands and everything quit working. Tried the single CD and it loaded and started playing. No sound at all, no radio sound no NAV sound. I looked at the ribbon on the back of the player and sadly I tore it. CD changer shot, but why do I have no sound? Checked all the fuses related to radio, cd and COMMAND and the are all fine. HELP. : (
Old 05-06-2017, 03:53 PM

2002 SLK 230
Just had to say:

I bought a 2002 SLK 230 yesterday that was throwing "Magazine Empty" message, no matter what I did. Tried the Fonz method, now it works like a champ. I cannot stop chuckling. This post is the gift that keeps on giving.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CD Changer No Magazine fix