C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Engine Mount Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:54 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
2005 c230SS
Originally Posted by cdaeng2
Hey jkowtko,

Did you notice anything different(vibration, noise...) when your tranny mount was replaced??
I just got my front 2 engine mounts replaced but didn't notice much difference or I was expecting too much?? Hoping to quite down my "rumble" and exhaust leak like noise by replacing my tranny mount next week....
BTW my 05 C230 has 102k miles.....
Yes,. when I replaced my tranny mount about a year ago, there was a rumble I got when going through dips in the road, as the downward G-force pushed down on that mount and the rubber bottomed out. That disappeared completely once I replaced the mount.

Fyi it was really hard to see visually that the mount had collapsed. The rubber still looked perfectly good, it's just that the bolt hole in the center of the mount sat maybe 1/4" or so lower than the new one I put in. That 1/4" was enough to make the difference though.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230 SS kompressor
Originally Posted by jkowtko
Yes,. when I replaced my tranny mount about a year ago, there was a rumble I got when going through dips in the road, as the downward G-force pushed down on that mount and the rubber bottomed out. That disappeared completely once I replaced the mount.

Fyi it was really hard to see visually that the mount had collapsed. The rubber still looked perfectly good, it's just that the bolt hole in the center of the mount sat maybe 1/4" or so lower than the new one I put in. That 1/4" was enough to make the difference though.
Thanks alot jkowtko,
I will let you know after my tranny mount is replaced.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:37 AM

2005 c230SS

Fyi, I replaced the left side mount today. Here is a pic showing both of the old mounts compared with the new one (in the center).

*** update ***

After 3 days driving now with both motor mounts replaced, yes it makes a noticable difference. The engine is very quiet and smooth now. Transmission shifting and TCC issues are not noticable anymore. And the suspension is benefiting as well ... quieter and softer over sharp bumps. It's surprising how much of a difference this makes. Why didn't I do this sooner?!

Last edited by jkowtko; 12-03-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:47 AM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
I'm on RMEuropean and they only have 1 part number, which I assume is for left and right mounts, so I'd need two of those. But what about the 3rd one? I've checked RM and Autohaus and they only show that one part.

Is it under a different name?
Old 11-30-2014, 11:12 AM

2005 c230SS
Originally Posted by neurodave
I'm on RMEuropean and they only have 1 part number, which I assume is for left and right mounts, so I'd need two of those. But what about the 3rd one? I've checked RM and Autohaus and they only show that one part.

Is it under a different name?
For the M271 engine, I got the front engine mounts under two different part numbers -- 203-240-19-17 (left) and 203-240-20-17 (right). The right side mount comes with the rubber dust cover -- otherwise the two mounts themselves look identical. Both are available on RME. They are Corteco brand, which you can see from my pic appears to be the original stock part.

The third mount is the rear transmission mount and there is only one -- 212-240-03-18, also made by Corteco.

Again this is for my car which has the M271 engine. If you have trouble pulling up these parts let me know.

Thanks. john
Old 11-30-2014, 03:27 PM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
For the M271 engine, I got the front engine mounts under two different part numbers -- 203-240-19-17 (left) and 203-240-20-17 (right). The right side mount comes with the rubber dust cover -- otherwise the two mounts themselves look identical. Both are available on RME. They are Corteco brand, which you can see from my pic appears to be the original stock part.

The third mount is the rear transmission mount and there is only one -- 212-240-03-18, also made by Corteco.

Again this is for my car which has the M271 engine. If you have trouble pulling up these parts let me know.

Thanks. john
Thanks for the info!

I think the part numbers may differ though, I have the M112 engine in my C320. And I believe there are 3 mounts on it, someone please correct me if I'm wrong?

Transmission mount is just one, so that one I found with ease. Or, at least I think it's one....
Old 11-30-2014, 03:41 PM

2005 c230SS
Originally Posted by neurodave
Thanks for the info!

I think the part numbers may differ though, I have the M112 engine in my C320. And I believe there are 3 mounts on it, someone please correct me if I'm wrong?

Transmission mount is just one, so that one I found with ease. Or, at least I think it's one....
Okay, I see your selection for the 2005 C320. The mounts themselves look like they are a slightly different shape from the M271 mounts since the engine block is differently shaped, but I think there are only two front mounts. And, the V6 is probably more symmetrical than the I4 so it makes sense that the left and right are identical. (After all, the I4 mounts are identifcal except for the dust cap which is an extra piece.)

Fyi if you get them from RME, the general recommendation is Lemfoerder or Corteco only. Also, you should call them on the phone ... RME seems more knowledgable than some of the other online shops.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:05 PM

2003 C230 K
I am diving into this job in a week or two on my 2003 C230 sedan. I saw three videos that make me feel pretty comfortable doing the job.

Here is a good one for the difficult to reach driver's side mount:

For the transmisison mount, I saw this one:
Additionally, I saw this one that showed you don't need to remove the brace:

and finally,
made me feel very comfortable making the change.

I will let you know how it goes.
Edit*Corrected link

Last edited by LeapOfFaaaith; 12-15-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 KOMPRESSOR SPORT
Many people find the driver side top mount bold is difficult to get at. If you have the c230 Kompressor I found removing the airbox and the intake manifold gives you direct access to the bolt topside. The eye shaped gap between the kompressor in between the casings sits right above the driver engine mount bolt. With a long ratchet extension you can just drop your socket down between this gap and loosen the top bolt.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 KOMPRESSOR SPORT
I fully agree reviewing Kent Bergsma's Youtube channel Mercedessource really helped me complete the task with confidence.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 C230K SS 6MT
Can someone PLEASE explain the difference between Transmission Mount Part# 212-240-03-18 vs. 212-240-04-18 ?? I have an 05' C230K Sport (6MT) and I'm getting the run-around regarding this product. I can get a Lemforder Trans Mount (212-240-04-18) on Amazon for $25 Shipped, and the seller says it wont fit. Both parts look EXACTLY the same and I'm really itching A) But the thing once an for all B) Prove this nummy-nut on Amazon wrong...
Old 11-18-2015, 05:27 PM

2005 c230SS
I bought the Corteco tranny mount from RMEuropean for my car back in 2012:

2122400318_COR_8582EF73 Transmission Mount Unshipped $28.55

Online I can't tell the difference between the two, and at least one eBay seller uses the numbers interchangeably. I would suggest buying what's listed for your car. I would recommend one of the reputed auto parts sellers (e.g. Partsgeek, RMEuropean, AutohausAZ, RockAuto) over Amazon. If you stick to Corteco, Lemfoerder or Febi you're probably pretty safe.

Last edited by jkowtko; 11-20-2015 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Wrong word!
Old 11-18-2015, 07:44 PM

2005 C230K SS 6MT
Thank you, dude.

2122400318_COR_8582EF73 Transmission Mount Unshipped $28.55

Online I can't tell the difference between the two, and at least one eBay seller uses the numbers interchangeably. I would suggest buying what's listed for your car. I wouldn't recommend one of the reputed auto parts sellers (e.g. Partsgeek, RMEuropean, AutohausAZ, RockAuto) over Amazon. If you stick to Corteco, Lemfoerder or Febi you're probably pretty safe.

I just think it's weird. Thank for the tip.

I just bought Lemfoerder sway bar end-links yesterday from autopartswarehouse.com ($69 shipped for both), received them today. And man, quality product. I made the mistake of buying Beck/Arnley end-links at first (for Sport Suspension) and there's no comparison on quality. Lemfoerder was far superior: thicker, rock-solid overall build quality compared to the cheap B/A.

I think you meant you *Would recommend a reputable auto parts sellers. Right? Agreed. Yeah, I got a little Amazon Prime happy when purchasing the links as well. Requested return and bought through APW.

Lesson Learned..
Old 11-19-2015, 09:37 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor
Hi Gents, I have been experiencing the very same issue as the rest of you. Car is 2005 C230K sport. Engine would seem to surge with vibration off and on when the car was in gear at stop lights and in idle and would be very apparent when I had the A/C on or when I tested the heater motor/blower as well. I figured it had to be the transmission mount and/or motor mounts. I did take it to my mechanic next and he verified my guess and wanted $500 plus parts to change out the mounts alone as it is in the book as 4.7 hrs. Car is 10 yrs old and only 68400 miles and I have done so many repairs to my car trying to keep it running perfectly. I can tell you after my boyfriend and I spent the morning getting my SilverBullet back on jacks in his garage and removing the Transmission Mount and then moving to the motor mounts, WOW! I feel like I have a new car! The rattle I got when at a stop is gone. The rough ride I felt when going into a dip in a road is also gone! It feels like the entire car is given a new life. I am really surprised that the new ride I got from spending $158 on parts online and about 2.5 hours labor under the car (helping mostly) . You can see how bad the mounts were by my photos. The transmission mount is an easy job and I would recommend that one first to any of you with the vibration and surging issue as it was not expensive to do and I feel that was probably a huge help. The hardest mount to get to was the driverside mount. That we followed another by doing UNDER the car. do no even attempt on topside. We started there, but way too tight. You only need to remove the 2 bolts on one part below the mount and then yes work for about 30 minutes with whatever tool you can reach your hand in with to loosen that top bolt. Just stay patient. It will come. The rest is all easy. We did have two of us to do the passenger side and one was on the top lining it up with the rubber dust cover on while the other turned the screw into the mount from below. It was all slow and steady. You do have to raise the engine at one point then lower it to drop it in place on top of the new mount once it is seated and in tightened in place. then you put the heat shield back on. Not difficult. You will be rewarded.

Old collapsed tranny mount left new on right RM EUROPEAN AUTO PARTS 2122400318 tranny

bought 2 Lemforder motor mounts #203 240 2017 and 1 Corteco Transmission Mount $158 all inclusive

68500 mile collapsed motor mount left and new on right

old collapsed. was worth removing however I had no idea how bad it was

thanks for all the others that gave the two of us confidence that two seniors could do this job. we never would have attempted it without all the help of others. many thanks!

Last edited by RubyCarbon; 11-19-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:00 PM

2005 c230SS
Originally Posted by Norsk_Johnson
I just think it's weird. Thank for the tip.

I just bought Lemfoerder sway bar end-links yesterday from autopartswarehouse.com ($69 shipped for both), received them today. And man, quality product. I made the mistake of buying Beck/Arnley end-links at first (for Sport Suspension) and there's no comparison on quality. Lemfoerder was far superior: thicker, rock-solid overall build quality compared to the cheap B/A.

I think you meant you *Would recommend a reputable auto parts sellers. Right? Agreed. Yeah, I got a little Amazon Prime happy when purchasing the links as well. Requested return and bought through APW.

Lesson Learned..
I definitely wouldn't buy Moog, Beck Arnley, etc, for our cars ... Corteco, Lemfoerder, and to a lesser extent Febi seem to be the aftermarket quality parts for German cars.

And, yes, I typo'ed ... I "would" recommend those online parts dealers that I listed.

Originally Posted by RubyCarbon

68500 mile collapsed motor mount left and new on right
Those Lemfoerder mounts look even a bit taller than the new Corteco mounts.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:24 PM

2005 C230K SS 6MT
I definitely wouldn't buy Moog, Beck Arnley, etc, for our cars ... Corteco, Lemfoerder, and to a lesser extent Febi seem to be the aftermarket quality parts for German cars.

And, yes, I typo'ed ... I "would" recommend those online parts dealers that I listed.

Those Lemfoerder mounts look even a bit taller than the new Corteco mounts.
So I ended up doing the Swaybar, End-links, and Transmission mount all in one job. The transmission mount was STUPID easy. Due to my impatience, I just sucked it up and payed $56 for a Genuine MB Transmission mount at the stealer... I was getting tired of the part# confusion. I justified the expense since it was $0 Labor cost. Speaking of, the one I pulled out of my car was 212-240-04-18, the one I bought an installed was 212-240-03-18. So, they are the same part. I hope this helps someone with the same confusion as I had.

Bad pic, but old trams mount. Had cracks in the rubber but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Flex disc look good, so thankfully didn't need replacing.

Old Mount (Left), New Mount (Right)

Last edited by Norsk_Johnson; 11-30-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:41 PM

2005 c230SS
When I replaced my tranny mount there were no cracks ... but it had settled as your pics show. Only about 1/4" drop, but that makes all the difference.

No issues with buying MB parts -- you will replace these only once every several years so if it is not convenient to wait for shipping of quality aftermarket parts, paying an extra 20 bucks for MB Genuine is a no-brainer

Glad to see your flex disks are still looking good. I haven't looked at mine in a few years, the dealership at my last paid service claimed the rear had cracks and needed to be replaced, so once the weather warms up I will be under there taking a look
Old 10-07-2016, 01:57 AM

C220CDI 2009
I have a 2009 C220CDI had all the engine mounts done at 120K klm and looks like they have to be done again, traveled only 50k Klm.
It looks like I'm going to have to replace them every 50K KLM
Is this normal
Old 10-07-2016, 09:13 AM

2005 C230K SS 6MT
Originally Posted by silkynitro
I have a 2009 C220CDI had all the engine mounts done at 120K klm and looks like they have to be done again, traveled only 50k Klm.
It looks like I'm going to have to replace them every 50K KLM
Is this normal
I have a 2005 W203, 102,XXX miles and have yet to replace.. Although I don't necessarily feel anything abnormal, I know they're due at some point. But they have still held up significantly longer than yours...

IMHO, I think it has to do with your driving pattern (very harsh stops at high speeds, how fast you go over speed-bumps etc..), the climate in which you live in and the terrain you drive on a daily basis.

When you had the engine mounts done, did you use OEM mounts (Lemforder, Genuine Mercedes-Benz) If not, that'd be the #1 reason why you're having the issue..
Old 10-07-2016, 07:57 PM

C220CDI 2009
Originally Posted by Norsk_Johnson
I have a 2005 W203, 102,XXX miles and have yet to replace.. Although I don't necessarily feel anything abnormal, I know they're due at some point. But they have still held up significantly longer than yours...

IMHO, I think it has to do with your driving pattern (very harsh stops at high speeds, how fast you go over speed-bumps etc..), the climate in which you live in and the terrain you drive on a daily basis.

When you had the engine mounts done, did you use OEM mounts (Lemforder, Genuine Mercedes-Benz) If not, that'd be the #1 reason why you're having the issue..
Yes, I would assume they were OEM they were replaced at the dealer ship under (Good Will). I'm old so my driving pattern is very steady no harsh stops all on sealed roads very few speed bumps.

I'm amazed that a car of this quality chews up engine mounts faster than a set of tyres. surely this can't be normal this is kph not mph I'm talking about

Last edited by silkynitro; 10-07-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:04 PM

2005 c230SS
Originally Posted by silkynitro
Yes, I would assume they were OEM they were replaced at the dealer ship under (Good Will). I'm old so my driving pattern is very steady no harsh stops all on sealed roads very few speed bumps.

I'm amazed that a car of this quality chews up engine mounts faster than a set of tyres. surely this can't be normal
That doesn't sound normal to me. What are the symptoms indicating that they need to be changed out again? Are they leaking? Or are you just getting vibration and noise?
Old 10-07-2016, 09:06 PM

C220CDI 2009
That doesn't sound normal to me. What are the symptoms indicating that they need to be changed out again? Are they leaking? Or are you just getting vibration and noise?
Getting a vibration noise when in drive stationary at the lights or backing out of the garage.

I'ts not bad at the moment it's just bloody annoying.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
Corteco, or Lemfoerder, who made the original mounts for the M271 motor?

Or which ones should I buy, I noticed that Lemfoerder are about $10 cheaper.

Anyone have experience in either?

Trying to figure out do I go with the exact original so the feel is the same but failed over time or go with a different manufacturer and maybe it will last better

Last edited by Boom vang; 02-04-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:02 PM

2005 c230SS
Based on my post #53 https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post6247465 which shows the Corteco mounts I purchased, and RubyCarbon's post #64 https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post6620558 showing the Lemfoerder mounts that he bought, I would say that MB gets their mounts from Corteco.

Of course that's just my car ... MB could switch vendors periodically and someone else may have stock mounts that look like the Lemfoerder.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:22 PM

2005 C230 Sport
Great information everyone. I'm having my mounts ( motor and tranny ) mounts done next week along with changing some of the vacuum hoses underneath the intake manifold. Ordered OEM parts already from MB. My vehicle has 146,000 miles on it; which is probably over due for this type of service. Looking forward into the lengthy process, work, and results.

Last edited by Roger161; 02-07-2017 at 07:27 PM. Reason: addition 411

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Mount Replacement