C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

chirping noise coming frm the engine bay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c230 kompressor
For the expansion hose tank?, i was wondering if i could just buy the plastic pices that connects from the hose to the Water Pipe Feed Line.

please see picture below circle in red
Attached Thumbnails chirping noise coming frm the engine bay-expansion-tank-hose.jpg  
Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
Originally Posted by pogijeffrey
Did that cost u a lot to repair? I have to wait till Tuesday to get it checked.
I see from your recent posts that you may have a solution to your problem, but the bearing Chris is talking about is the sprag bearing I mentioned earlier. When it fails, it takes your A/C compressor with it.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:57 PM

05 c230 kompressor
Originally Posted by ncmudbug
I see from your recent posts that you may have a solution to your problem, but the bearing Chris is talking about is the sprag bearing I mentioned earlier. When it fails, it takes your A/C compressor with it.
Does that mean I need a new compressor?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:14 PM

05 c230 kompressor
What part should iorder if you say itithe sprag bearing.? I should order the parts now while they work on replacing the belt and tensioners.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looking at my invoice from my stealer, it looks like the bearing is part of the pulley (271-155-01-15). Nothing else they listed looks like it could be it. I also notice that part number is for the Bosch alternator.

It could be that all you need is the pulley. When you order an A/C compressor from rmeuropean, they tell you to also check the pulley (or sprag bearing), but not the other way around. I think if you catch the bearing before the A/C compressor goes, you're ok.

Since I had the stealer do the work, I don't know what a bad one looks like so I can't help you there. They're $82 at rmeuropean (a LOT cheaper than at the stealer!! ). Your shop should be able to tell you if yours is going. It might be good insurance to get a new one.

I guess the next question is "What causes the bearing to go?" I don't know the answer to that...
Old 09-13-2012, 11:38 PM

05 c230 kompressor
Looking at my invoice from my stealer, it looks like the bearing is part of the pulley (271-155-01-15). Nothing else they listed looks like it could be it. I also notice that part number is for the Bosch alternator.

It could be that all you need is the pulley. When you order an A/C compressor from rmeuropean, they tell you to also check the pulley (or sprag bearing), but not the other way around. I think if you catch the bearing before the A/C compressor goes, you're ok.

Since I had the stealer do the work, I don't know what a bad one looks like so I can't help you there. They're $82 at rmeuropean (a LOT cheaper than at the stealer!! ). Your shop should be able to tell you if yours is going. It might be good insurance to get a new one.

I guess the next question is "What causes the bearing to go?" I don't know the answer to that...
thanks for the part #

lucky mine lasted this long. i have 159000 miles on the car now.

i kinda waited a little too long and might have ruined the a/c compressor. the other day i was driving and all of a sudden i hear the air making this sucking noise taking the air away but not completely. So now what its doing is the A/c still works but only if i turn the knob to #5, thats where the it starts from low to high at #7. From the #1 to 4 you barely feel the air blow. the A/C controls are out of sync. But then again the a/c still works though. but i think i might of damaged the compressor some how for the air not to blow properly at the turn of the knobs if u know what i mean. So do you think the compressor is damaged from what i described?

Last edited by pogijeffrey; 09-14-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am certainly not an expert on this - even though it happened to me - but that doesn't sound like the sprag bearing took out your A/C. What seemed to happen to me is I had NO A/C. If you have some, then you might have another problem. I hope so. They aren't cheap or cheap to install. I would think that if the air can get cold, then you probably have some kind of control problem - especially since you are having problems with the blower... Just my guess but so far it doesn't sound like your compressor is gone.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Try the re-sync procedure on the A/C control unit. That is very strange. Have you got the car back yet?

See if it is still having issues when you get it back. I just had some trouble with mine, my idler pulley went out @ 146,200 miles. That's a nasty noise.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:40 AM

05 c230 kompressor
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Try the re-sync procedure on the A/C control unit. That is very strange. Have you got the car back yet?

See if it is still having issues when you get it back. I just had some trouble with mine, my idler pulley went out @ 146,200 miles. That's a nasty noise.
I didn't get the car back yet because I told them to hold off because I was now thinking that the sprag bearing needed to changed out, and that might be what was causing the Nasty noise while my a/c was on. I might as well change it since they have to replace the belt anyway.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 AM

05 c230 kompressor
And whats the resume procedure for the a/c

And for that nasty noise u were having, did it sound like mine from the video I posted?

Last edited by pogijeffrey; 09-14-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:47 AM

05 c230 kompressor
I am certainly not an expert on this - even though it happened to me - but that doesn't sound like the sprag bearing took out your A/C. What seemed to happen to me is I had NO A/C. If you have some, then you might have another problem. I hope so. They aren't cheap or cheap to install. I would think that if the air can get cold, then you probably have some kind of control problem - especially since you are having problems with the blower... Just my guess but so far it doesn't sound like your compressor is gone.
Then the control problem is probably a new issue I'm having. So do u think I still might need a new sprag bearing, because I told the auto shop to hold off on repairs so I could also order that part.