Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W203)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Sponsored by : My Mercedes Parts
Click Here

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #51

Drives: 2002 Mercedes Benz
Soon after changing ATF as in my last post shifting irregularities returned. Sucked a quart of ATF out of the filler tube and replaced with Lucas ATF additive. Problem solved. Up and down shifting very smooth and regular. Hey it works. There's no downside so try it.
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

awesomeBLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #52

Drives: 2005 c230 Sport Sedan
Which Lucas product did you use? I see two ATF products:

* "Lucas Transmission Fix 10009"
* "Lucas Oil ATF Conditioner 10441"

I'm still hoping Glyn will provide his comments on potential long-term effects of using this stuff.
jkowtko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #53
Super Moderator

Drives: late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Don't put crap like that anywhere near your Benz transmission. The Benz transmission has many requirements as mandated by MB for the long life & proper performance of the unit. The oil industry & the additive companies spend millions developing & testing the correct fluid to meet all requirements. Benz tests & approves the fluid.

Then somebody pours a can of mouse milk into the mix & screws up the entire formulation. The long term downside could be considerable & change seal swell chracteristic & frictional properties leading to clutch pack failure. Many other influences are also possible.

Don't do it. If a vehicle was under warranty it would invalidate it.

Use only Benz approved fluids meeting 236.14 or if you have a new 722.9 Plus transmission that does not apply to W203 vehicles then use the new blue 236.15 fluid.

Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Glyn M Ruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #54

Drives: suzuki vitara
[QUOTE=Glyn M Ruck;5522133]+1^ on level. An ECU reset does not reset the TCU.

Transmission adaptions can only be reset with Star (I'm not talking about learning)

The fact that it does it in both C & S makes it unlikely that a clutch pack is slipping. More likely a slight valve leak in the valve body. Did you break open your old transmission filter & look for wear material?

What happens when you select Drive from Park or Neutral? There is some delay on these cars but then it should lock up

Hello my car have a problem like this. Delayed engagement when it came from neutral, park and reverse.
Thanks
pirateking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #55

Drives: suzuki vitara
Hello my car have a problem like this. Delayed engagement when it came from neutral, park and reverse.
Thanks
pirateking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #56

Okay, battery replaced several weeks ago ... had a dead cell in it, low voltage. The electrical system feels a bit better, I can start the car with the radio remaining running now -- but doesn't affect the TC lockup/release issue.

Next steps: (1) check out the alternator to make sure it isn't dragging the engine down (although it wouldn't be applicable to the lockup delay), and (2) STAR diagnosis.

I just priced out the diagnosis from a very competent sounding indy at one hour labor ($110), and they feel they can very definitely determine if the problem is in the solenoid, valve or conductor plate.

However this is one of those toys that I think would be fun to try on my own. There are plenty of Star C3/C4/C5 units for sale out there ... I've seen the C5 listed for close to $400. If anyone out there has a unit that they wouldn't mind loaning or renting to me, please let me know.

Thanks. John
Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #57

Drives: s430
jkowtko, its most likely your conductor plate, the best way to check it to look in the passenger side foot rest, pull back the carpet and you will see trans fluid, which is leaking from the connectore, its about 150 to buy and you can do it your self if you are inclined to do so and also take out the tcu and see if fliud got in it and spray with maf cleaner and put back in.
corkshoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkshoppe View Post
jkowtko, its most likely your conductor plate, the best way to check it to look in the passenger side foot rest, pull back the carpet and you will see trans fluid, which is leaking from the connector, its about 150 to buy and you can do it your self if you are inclined to do so and also take out the tcu and see if fliud got in it and spray with maf cleaner and put back in.
My connector has been replaced twice -- once early on when it started to leak prematurely, and again last year when I did my fluid/filter service. The transmission housing and electrical cord are completely dry -- there is no fluid anywhere near the passenger compartment.

If it were fluid leakage into the conductor plate, is that generally due to a leak in the connector?

In any case I am starting my quest to purchase a STAR system so I can do a full diagnostic on the transmission myself.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:47 AM

Tags
2003, 7226, cold, defective, delay, delayed, engagement, freezing, gear, gears, mercedes, s55, shifting, solenoid, switching, symptoms, trans, transmission