C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230 6 speed shift knob removal DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes C230 Coupe
C230 6 speed shift knob removal DIY

Now I am not 100% sure if there is a thread that has been already started but here is my own version of how to do this since a few threads have popped up on how to do it so here is a basic DIY done on a 2002 c230 k coupe.

First off you have to start by moving the shifter into neutral
C230 6 speed shift knob removal DIY-f6cb53e4-99d9-45b3-8393-958d2f60b63b_zps7baf79d1.jpg

Second you want to pry up the boot with a prytool or you can use your fingers as I did and pull the boot up to the know as high as you can to reveal the plastic "lock"

C230 6 speed shift knob removal DIY-img_0763_zpsc4fcc5e9.jpg

C230 6 speed shift knob removal DIY-img_0764_zps9d1d0f3e.jpg

Once you have the plastic lock ring revealed you will need to turn it counter clock wise in order to loosen it to get the shifter off.

C230 6 speed shift knob removal DIY-img_0765_zpse881de4c.jpg

C230 6 speed shift knob removal DIY-img_0767_zps918458a5.jpg

After you have that done you will have to simply just pull upwards on the knob to remove it. Now there is a groove in the actual shifter that is being "held" onto by the knob itself so just wiggle it side to side while pulling up to get it off and you should be fine

C230 6 speed shift knob removal DIY-img_0770_zpsa9917a9f.jpg

C230 6 speed shift knob removal DIY-img_0768_zps7bf9389d.jpg

and you're done. Just reverse the steps to put the new one on and you're all set. I hope that this has cleared up any confusion of questions on how to do this. It is a very simple DIY that basically anyone can do.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Very nicely done!

Couple of things I'd add would be that you can pull up on the center console trim (the flat area between the ash tray and the armrest); this will help with removal of that bottom trim piece that's glued to the boot. The most critical thing is to not break the bottom trim piece; it's not for sale individually and is pretty flimsy.

Of course, you can always go with an aftermarket knob and boot, but getting the part where the bottom of the boot mates to the center console trim is a very tricky thing to make look decent.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 PM

2002 Mercedes C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by tommy
Very nicely done!

Couple of things I'd add would be that you can pull up on the center console trim (the flat area between the ash tray and the armrest); this will help with removal of that bottom trim piece that's glued to the boot. The most critical thing is to not break the bottom trim piece; it's not for sale individually and is pretty flimsy.

Of course, you can always go with an aftermarket knob and boot, but getting the part where the bottom of the boot mates to the center console trim is a very tricky thing to make look decent.

Thank You!
I tried to make it as clear and simple as possible, and YES about the trim piece that holds the boot I've broken one on my other car and its not just something you get at autozone. It is a very delicate piece of trim so whoever does choose to change the boot as well be careful on doing so and take your time.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:54 PM

2003 Mercedes C230 Kompressor Coupe
Nice write up! I didnt think itd be that easy. What aftermarket shift knobs will work with this though? Would a momo work or something along those lines?
Old 05-03-2013, 12:36 AM

2002 Mercedes C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by Flooned
Nice write up! I didnt think itd be that easy. What aftermarket shift knobs will work with this though? Would a momo work or something along those lines?

Thank you. From the looks of it it is a "slide - on" shift knob. I'm sure any one can work you might have to use a tap/die set and create a proper thread to screw the aftermarket knob in place. Just be sure what you are buying and what the knob type is. If its a thread type or a slide on type.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Many knobs use little set screws instead of threading; that's what I have. A lot easier than having to tap for threads.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:53 AM

'06 c230 Sport 6spd
Thank you! I just put up a thread asking about this yesterday. My knob looks diff. Mine and 06 ss. But I'm sure its the same. For who asked about the after market shift knob. I'm about to go do it now. I have a universal one that has the rubber caps to fit on the shaft. So I'll post back and let you know.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:39 AM

1999 E320 Wagon
C230 6 Speed Shifter Loose

Great instructions, I actually kept my old plastic base to my shifter if anyone needs one. My shifter is on tight but I was curious to know if anyone knows how to tighten the metal part? Mine rotates left to right and it's not the shifters connection to the metal rod but the metal piece itself. By the way, eBay is where I got it. Fits great!

Originally Posted by Janiak
Now I am not 100% sure if there is a thread that has been already started but here is my own version of how to do this since a few threads have popped up on how to do it so here is a basic DIY done on a 2002 c230 k coupe.

First off you have to start by moving the shifter into neutral

Second you want to pry up the boot with a prytool or you can use your fingers as I did and pull the boot up to the know as high as you can to reveal the plastic "lock"

Once you have the plastic lock ring revealed you will need to turn it counter clock wise in order to loosen it to get the shifter off.

After you have that done you will have to simply just pull upwards on the knob to remove it. Now there is a groove in the actual shifter that is being "held" onto by the knob itself so just wiggle it side to side while pulling up to get it off and you should be fine

and you're done. Just reverse the steps to put the new one on and you're all set. I hope that this has cleared up any confusion of questions on how to do this. It is a very simple DIY that basically anyone can do.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-21-2018, 11:43 PM

2003 230 kompressor coup
I know it is really really late but is their any adapter that i can buy or make so i can use regular threads or even a away to securely mount any after market shift knob?