C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My sunroof has a bit sticking up out of the car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200K coupe 2003
My sunroof has a bit sticking up out of the car!

Hi,

I opened the sunroof at the weekend and when it opened there was a "ping" and I could see a bit of metal had just come out and was standing up, if I had just closed the roof again it would have caught on it and probably mangled it!
I managed to get it closed by getting Hubby to inch it forward while I held the metal bit down, it looks like it has popped out of the spring thing and I can't figure out how to fix it. The other side is fine but I am at a loss as to what to do to re-engage it in the right place.
Can anyone advise me how to fix it without going to a dealer?
I have managed to fix a few things due to the great advice on here so I am hoping it can be done again!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:05 AM

c230k
Originally Posted by longbowgilly
Hi,

I opened the sunroof at the weekend and when it opened there was a "ping" and I could see a bit of metal had just come out and was standing up, if I had just closed the roof again it would have caught on it and probably mangled it!
I managed to get it closed by getting Hubby to inch it forward while I held the metal bit down, it looks like it has popped out of the spring thing and I can't figure out how to fix it. The other side is fine but I am at a loss as to what to do to re-engage it in the right place.
Can anyone advise me how to fix it without going to a dealer?
I have managed to fix a few things due to the great advice on here so I am hoping it can be done again!
Sounds the the pop-up wind deflector has come off on one side. This happened to me before. Try to pry the loose side up and then reattach the metal rod the the other piece there. For me I was never able to get it to stay for any length of time (it would just keep popping off), so I just pulled at the other side and took the entire wind deflector pop up out of my car. My sunroof now opens and closes with ease again, and when I sell the car I will just put the thing back in.

Hope this helps
Old 05-23-2013, 04:07 AM

C200K coupe 2003
Hi, thanks for your reply
I'm not sure if it is the wind deflector, the bit I am talking about is on each side not the front or back, when the roof goes back it pops out once it goes over it.
Is a piece about 6 inches long and maybe 1/4 inch wide? The one on the passenger side if the car is fine but I can't see how it goes together.
Sorry if I am not very good with explaining stuff!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:40 PM

12 BMW 535Xi; Retired 02 C230 Sport Coupe
Originally Posted by longbowgilly
Hi, thanks for your reply
I'm not sure if it is the wind deflector, the bit I am talking about is on each side not the front or back, when the roof goes back it pops out once it goes over it.
Is a piece about 6 inches long and maybe 1/4 inch wide? The one on the passenger side if the car is fine but I can't see how it goes together.
Sorry if I am not very good with explaining stuff!
I sold my C230 coupe last year but several years ago replaced the passenger side piece. It parallels the sunroof track and is located above the passenger and driver open door.
The piece (part no 203-780-02-75 Sunroof link) cost approx. $118Cdn (in 2009).
It was very easy to replace. The screw holding the piece down is partially hidden. Once removed the thing slides to unclip at the opposite end. The part toward the hood is attached to the wind deflector and simply pops off when a small pin is removed. The deflector should be held down to assist you.
If you think it is something else then I can't help you.

My advice would be to go to the MB parts counter and have the parts guy look at the car to determine what piece you need. In my case, he even told me how to replace it. It was stupidly easy.

Last edited by Gilgorm; 05-23-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:17 PM

C200K coupe 2003
Originally Posted by Gilgorm
I sold my C230 coupe last year but several years ago replaced the passenger side piece. It parallels the sunroof track and is located above the passenger and driver open door.
The piece (part no 203-780-02-75 Sunroof link) cost approx. $118Cdn (in 2009).
It was very easy to replace. The screw holding the piece down is partially hidden. Once removed the thing slides to unclip at the opposite end. The part toward the hood is attached to the wind deflector and simply pops off when a small pin is removed. The deflector should be held down to assist you.
If you think it is something else then I can't help you.

My advice would be to go to the MB parts counter and have the parts guy look at the car to determine what piece you need. In my case, he even told me how to replace it. It was stupidly easy.
That sounds doable, I will pop into the dealer and have a word with them, I am more than happy to do it myself.
Thanks for your help guys
Old 11-03-2013, 01:15 PM

C200K coupe 2003
I have basically forgotten to go to the dealer about this so I still have the problem, I have not opened the sunroof since! It works on tilt but I am not game enought to open it fully.
I am thining of selling it and obviously need to fix the problem, I came onto here to find this thread and while I was here found another one which seems to have the part that is my problem in it!
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...lfunction.html

I would love to know if this is the bit you mean Funnyent!
If it could be fixed by some cable ties that would be great!!
Old 05-20-2015, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 188 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Time to bump an old post. This failure happened while driving down the highway. The bang was so loud, my buddy and I thought the sunroof glass had exploded. Sounded like someone threw a baseball into the car.

The piece that sticks up will prevent the sunroof from closing properly. I tried wrapping a napkin around the metal rod - no dice. My solution to the problem (no tools, side of the highway) was to pull out the 10cm long spring, as well as 2 metal cylindrical "rings" that keep the 2 sides of an inner "shaft" together. Once that is removed, the inner shaft can be split apart (it's just 2 halves of a square cross section) by hand, revealing a metal curved "spring". This is what makes the glass piece pop up, but also keeps the broken rod up when the assembly fails. Pull out the spring, and the broken shaft stays down. This photo shows the aftermath of the "repair". The roof will still work fine, but the upward force on the glass deflector will be effectively reduced by half.

The Canadian stealer sells the entire assembly (can't buy individual components) for $134 per side. It's a fairly straightforward replacement - only tools required are a Torx screwdriver and a small slot screwdriver for removing the circlip. The circlip comes off with minimal force.

203-780-01-75 Driver's side (L) linkage
Attached Thumbnails My sunroof has a bit sticking up out of the car!-broken-sunroof.jpg  

Last edited by slammer111; 03-29-2021 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C200 sportcoupe
Pano Sunroof - Broken spring

It happened almost the same with my C200 Kompressor 2002.
If you check the picture, this spring broke when I was closing the pano sunroof.

Battery for scale

I guess it is broken, because one of the ends looks like it was broken, while the other end seems ok, but it could be the same problem reported in this thread.
I guess this is A 203 780 01 75, but I need to dissasemble the roof to check it properly.
(I also guess is the 180 in the following picture)

http://mbepc.net/pt/1/fg/c/69v/20374.../150#gsc.tab=0

After that, I never opened the roof again.
Any ideas?
Old 03-20-2021, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 188 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Yes that is the spring from inside part #180. It's a very easy fix. Unfortunately the spring is part of the entire subassembly so you to buy the PN I listed there if it's the L arm.

The linkage is held to the sunroof frame (towards the rear of the car) with a single Torx screw, as well as a slot that the linkage slides into. The front end (hinged to the front deflector glass) is held by a stainless steel pin and circlip, part #175 in the diagram. The trick is to not lose the circlip when sliding it off the pin, however there's a good chance you'll lose it when it shoots off into nowhere. It's a standard stainless 3mm e-clip used on many things out there such as drone rotors. I ordered a bag of 100 online for a few bucks, which saved me as I lost a few of them trying to reassemble this thing.

Last edited by slammer111; 03-29-2021 at 05:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SergioBrazil (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 03:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C200 sportcoupe
#180 replacement procedure

https://www.mb-treff.de/tipps-tricks...enge/index.php (In German)

And check this pictures: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post8303459

Last edited by SergioBrazil; 03-29-2021 at 09:14 AM.